Blade show 2020

Baselworld 2020 Cancelled

https://usa.watchpro.com/breaking-news-baselworld-2020-called-off-due-to-coronavirus/

Baselworld held in Switzerland is the largest watch show in the world they have just cancelled 2020 show

the Blade show owners and operators are starting to look rather poorly imho. Hopefully we can put this nightmare behind us and have a great show in 2021

as for virtual shows replacing knife shows ........ I hope not for a long time

everyone on this thread has more knives than they can use in a lifetime.... it’s the energy of the shows and the people that make the blade show the greatest knife show on the planet not just the knives

Last edited:
Sadly, Josh Smith has just cancelled his renowned Big Sky Conference on July 25th-26th.

He did so with a heavy heart but with a need to place safety first for his and ALL other's families.

Sadly, the governor of Georgia is the first to start reopening businesses. Beginning in May. Damn the torpedoes.

Sadly, Josh Smith has just cancelled his renowned Big Sky Conference on July 25th-26th.

He did so with a heavy heart but with a need to place safety first for his and ALL other's families.

Sadly, the governor of Georgia is the first to start reopening businesses. Beginning in May. Damn the torpedoes.

That's good Josh did the right thing, and did it with advance notice for those who were going. Blade could learn a thing or two from him. Especially with Georgia trying to finish first in the which state is dumbest competition. Now zero chance of blade happening thanks to the live free or die of covid mentality taking root.

Baselworld 2020 Cancelled

https://usa.watchpro.com/breaking-news-baselworld-2020-called-off-due-to-coronavirus/

Baselworld held in Switzerland is the largest watch show in the world they have just cancelled 2020 show

the Blade show owners and operators are starting to look rather poorly imho. Hopefully we can put this nightmare behind us and have a great show in 2021

as for virtual shows replacing knife shows ........ I hope not for a long time

everyone on this thread has more knives than they can use in a lifetime.... it’s the energy of the shows and the people that make the blade show the greatest knife show on the planet not just the knives

Damn. that's huge. That's a huge loss of revenue for many global luxury companies. We're talking $100k+ watches at Baselworld....

BLADE -- time to do the right thing

Here in Germany trade shows of all kinds are a very big deal and all of them have been stopped by government regulations. Exactly when they may happen again in the future is still an open question. Some shows have just outright said they were done for this year; others have tried the postponed/rescheduled thing. And there is a reason for this...

Because the thing with these shows is that the money they took in in advance from exhibitors and visitors through advance ticket sales: they spent it. Or a great deal of the money is spent for operating expenses, staff salaries, rent for the venue, etc. This is how the show organizers finance their business for the whole year. They count on that income. This isn't a problem as long as the show happens. When it doesn't take place, they are in deep shit. They can't just refund everybody; the money is gone.

But as long as he show is postponed, they have a legal loophole to say they will deliver the show customers payed up front for. Just later. As soon as they say, no show, they breach their contract to deliver the show and are liable to refund pretty much everybody. And since they don't have the financial liquidity to do this, they are instantly insolvent. Game over. Of course if they've paid money for the venue, they can try and recover those funds. Good luck. Lawyer up, oh wait, no money! Borrow all the money from a bank? Sure, if they have collateral to back the loan...

This whole cancelled trade show / Concert thing is going to result in such a massive amount of litigation... because everybody will be saying, Hey, this isn't our fault!

I know of a case here where a major trade show in Frankfurt was cancelled and a company already spent a ton of money on hotel rooms they no longer need. Refunds? Forget about it. What about the expensive trade show booth being built? Monster Show! Who pays for what? Who owes whom?

There may be some show organizers who were insured against something like this, or who have contracts that regulate this type of thing, but a lot of them don't. Cause who would have expected this? Not me.

Now I don't know what the situation is with the Blade Show and I don't even know who owns and organizes the show. I hope they and all the exhibitors somehow are made whole and come out OK. But as far as attending ANY show in August? Shhheeeeeit... I wouldn't go if they sent the Concorde to pick me up and paid all my expenses. Maybe next year? So, just in case, keep that Concorde gassed up...

In my new Blade Magazine they have a list of exhibitors for the August show...More than 900!!!...I saw several names on there that I know have cancelled so I am very skeptical!...

Surprisingly, the WACA Show (Winchester Arms Collectors Association) is still on for July 10th>12th in Cody WY.

In my new Blade Magazine they have a list of exhibitors for the August show...More than 900!!!...I saw several names on there that I know have cancelled so I am very skeptical!...

I noticed that too, and not just a few, but a fair amount of names listed as attending are in fact not showing up, and have made that very clear on social media. I would expect the turnout, if it even happens, to be more like 300-600. They have sooo many overseas makers listed as attending still, when they can't even get here to attend.

This email, rec'd yesterday morning, recognizes some of what you are stating.

Note there is a DEADLINE for cancellations with refunds. FYI.
________

From Blade Show management:

Good morning and we hope this email finds you well!

This email serves as a friendly notice, that if you feel you are unable to attend the BLADE Show on the new dates, August 7-9, 2020; then you must contact us immediately to request your options for space refunds. All requests MUST be made and processed by June 5th.

If you choose to cancel after June 5th, you may do so; however, no refunds will be offered and will follow the current policy outlined in the 2020 Contract for Exhibit Space.

We appreciate your continued loyalty and support of the Show and the brand. And we look forward to seeing you in August.

Have a great day and wonderful holiday weekend!

BLADE Show Team - blade@bladeshow.com

I'm not attending mainly for some schedule conflicts...hopefully can come back with a great show 2021!

Received the message below from the ABS today, about not participating in the Show.

A Message from the ABS Chairman

Dear Membership,

For the Blade Show in Atlanta, August of 2020, the ABS will not conduct any business this year. We will not be judging for rank or holding an awards ceremony. We are sorry to do this, the entire board of directors is in agreement with me and in the words of our last founding member of the ABS, B. R. Hughes, “Things in the forthcoming near future are too clouded to make sound decisions. However, if we err, let us err on the side of caution. There is nothing that might happen if the ABS if it does not participate in any manner at the forthcoming Blade Show in August -- that is, if that does transpire. Nothing is worth risking the health of a single ABS member or a member of his or her family by exposing them to COVID-19."

We are looking at alternatives for judging later in the year, but we hate to get hopes up. Nothing is set, nothing is concrete, but if we can do something we will advise, if we are sure and have secured all details.

During this time of quarantine, we never did find that crystal ball we needed. Things are starting to open slowly across the country, but with restrictions. For the MID AMERICA in July, we do not see any way to conduct that hammer-in and be sure we are keeping everyone safe. That is the main reason we are cancelling the event even if the fairgrounds would be open. We are sorry to do this. We all enjoy it so much, but we shall gather again in the future. Refund checks will go out to all who have paid for registration.

We hope everyone stays healthy and keeps on forging.

Steve Dunn - ABS Chairman

Thanks for this, Ken. Revealing.

Having been totally refused a refund on trip to a European show by Expedia even though I bought the full no questioned asked insurance package, I'm not in a very good mood to risk going anywhere right now. My advise, don't book a flight through Expedia if you think there is any chance you or the airlines will cancel later.

Well, today I reluctantly and regretfully made the decision to pass on Blade 2020. It will be the first one I've missed in many years.

My advanced age puts me at a health risk in even the best of circumstances, and with the new round of riots which now include

Atlanta, I don't want to chance that there would be an uprising there and then. I'm way too old and weak to fight.

Last edited:
Well, today I reluctantly and regretfully made the decision to pass on Blade 2020. It will be the first one I've missed in many years.

My advanced age puts me at a health risk in even the best of circumstances, and with the new round of riots which now include

Atlanta, I don't want to chance that there would be an uprising there and then. I'm way too old and weak to fight.

sad to hear this Paul, but I can’t say I blame you.

It’s just a sad time for all of us. Not being able to see friends, not being able to work, not being free to travel

Godspeed and hope to see you and your incredible creations soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Direct update from the Cobb Galleria management. I sent them a letter in regard to an extension of some NEW restrictions extended to Aug 11th from the Georgia Governor.

Good morning.

We know there is a lot of confusion with the various proclamations but at this point in time we will be open. We have multiple trade shows in July and will be ready for the Blade Show in August. The governor's updates do not effect convention centers in Georgia at this time, however, refer to our document on our website for clarity on our responsibilities for a clean environment vs. the trade show organizer's responsibilities inside the exhibit hall.

As with everything the bottom line rests with you and whether you are comfortable with the situation.

We will be updating our website if there are changes in our ability to host the convention.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Walter F. Kiley
Director of Sales & Marketing
Cobb Galleria Centre & Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre
Two Galleria Parkway
Atlanta, GA 30339

O-(770) 955-8000
D-(770) 989-5055

Visit us on the web at www.cobbgalleria.com and www.cobbenergycentre.com

Carry on. Stay posted.

Sounds like a real "fun" show, that is if they actually have it. How do you socially distance in front of knife tables? Does the table holder wipe down everything after anyone picks up a knife?

It could be worse. I was looking at doing an outdoor art festival, that is requiring each table holder to have hand sanitizer at their table and wipe down every items that is touched with alcohol based cleaner. I said no thanks.

Back