Blades & Bourbon

I was actually thinking of single barrel picks of the Full Proof that I've had (forgot to say it, though). Those I really like.
Yes, totally agree, Full Proof in Single Barrel store pick is my absolute favorite from the 1792 and probably beats lots of other Full proof releases, at leas to my taste...

9YpR4v.jpg

...Among the bourbons on my current buy list are:

Blanton's Gold
Booker's Boston Batch
Boondocks 8 yr Port Cask
Bulleit Barrel Strength
Burning Chair - Barrel Select
Hickory Hill 12 Single Barrel

...Given my less than notable tasting experience w/Weller Special Reserve
Marty, Special Reserve is not really anything special, it's a wheated alternative of the Buffalo Trace $20+, it's just the hipe and blown up prices that makes it special. Not bad bourbon but it won't leave you speechless, your experience is totally normal. Once you go in the higher shelf of Weller, this is where the excitement comes.
Good luck with your list, and I don't put any irony in it... Gold Blanton's is hard to find, the rest of it are not that rare.
I think the most available is the Bulleit and the Burning Chair. Not huge fan of wine finished Bourbon, even I'm sucker for Napa and Temecula wine. I think you'll like the Bulleit, the Blanton's and Booker, Boondoks 8 y o Port finish. Not familiar with the Hickory Hill or Burning Chair, but I'm curious how you'll find the Blanton's since it is similar to the Weller wheated juice.
:D:thumbsup:

Good luck with your list, and I don't put any irony in it... Gold Blanton's is hard to find, the rest of it are not that rare. I think the most available is the Bulleit and the Burning Chair. Not huge fan of wine finished Bourbon, even I'm sucker for Napa and Temecula wine. I think you'll like the Bulleit, the Blanton's and Booker, Boondoks 8 y o Port finish. Not familiar with the Hickory Hill or Burning Chair, but I'm curious how you'll find the Blanton's since it is similar to the Weller wheated juice.:D:thumbsup:

I saw bottles of Blantons and Booker on the shelf somewhere when I 1st started collecting bourbons but I wasn't ready to buy them yet. So, now I can't find them anywhere now. Figures . . . LOL! ;)

Just want to try them because they are on so many "recommended" bourbon lists.

Burning Chair: I wanted to try because it's made in the SF Bay Area and has gotten decent (if not rave) reviews.

Boondocks: I wanted to compare w/Angel's Envy and Woodinville which are also both port finished.

Bulleit Barrel Strength: I want to compare w/other "full proofs" like 1792 Elijah Craig, Noah's Mill & Old Forester - Prohibition.

Lastly, Hickory Hill 12 is an "aged" bourbon that I want to compare w/McKenna 10, Russell 10, Bulleit 10 & Widow Jane 10. Michter's 10 and Weller 12 are also available for comparison but I'm just not ready to open them yet because of their cost.

As for Weller, I may buy a bottle of Antique 107 that's available at my LLS for $150, which has gotten much better reviews than the "Special" Reserve (and costs much less than the bottle of Weller 12 that I purchased) to see if my opinion about Weller improves.

There's also a bottle of Weller Full Proof available at my LLS for $300 but I have no interest in spending that much $ on a bottle of bourbon at the moment.

That's it for now for me as far as bourbon is concerned. BTW, my buy list for scotch is even more extensive. ;)

Update:

Bought a bottle of Boondocks 8 Port Finished at TWM today. Couldn't find any of the others except Burning Chair but decided to pass on that in order to buy a trio of 18 yrs old bottles of Glenlivet, Glenmorngie and Glenfiddich too. :)

Last edited:
I like Bulleit; but I like Bulleit 10 yr better. I enjoyed the Bulleit barrel strength...but this may be the best sipping Bulleit I've sampled to date (I haven't tried the single barrel, yet)

(There's a small WC 21, and my usual fixed blade on the table - just not in the picture because I didn't want the television in the shot)

Last edited:
I like Bulleit; but I like Bulleit 10 yr better. I enjoyed the Bulleit barrel strength...but this [the Barrel Select] may be the best sipping Bulleit I've sampled to date (I haven't tried the single barrel, yet)
View attachment 1516192)

The Barrel Select has gotten very good reviews. Looks like you've enjoyed it! ;)

I've considered buying it but, since it's a one time blend that probably will not be repeated, I decided against adding it to my collection, since there are so many other recurring bourbons to buy/try and, if I like it, I would not be able to buy it again in the future after existing stock is depleted.

Of course, I wouldn't refuse an offer to taste it if I knew anyone who had any but, if I ever step foot in a bar again, will look to see if they have it on hand for a taste, for sure. ;)

Might not be able to buy it again later...but that doesn't mean we can't stock up now :thumbsup:
I'm going to grab another bottle of that and the Baker's Single Barrel, along with the Bulleit Single Barrel (probably tomorrow)

Finally got around to "downloading" a couple of pics off of my phone and uploaded them to Imgur so they can be posted here.

This is why I'm lazy about posting pics, just a PITA but here are a couple of bourbon photos that I've been meaning to post for awhile.

hH0oc5s.jpg

OPDmZjs.jpg

I've also posted a couple of scotch photos in the Whiskey Tribe & Trade thread.

Last edited:
Could be just me but I'd go for the 10yo Russell any time before I go for Noah's Mill.

The 10 yo Michters is a unbelievable pour IMO, and I like the Hogue knife, always wanted to have one of those :D:thumbsup:
I love Hogue products but I like the company even more when I met with Elishewitz and Neil Hogue on one of the SHOTs and they are unbelievable down to earth and approachable people !

o110Zk.jpg

Could be just me but I'd go for the 10yo Russell any time before I go for Noah's Mill.

The 10 yo Michters is a unbelievable pour IMO, and I like the Hogue knife, always wanted to have one of those :D:thumbsup:
I love Hogue products but I like the company even more when I met with Elishewitz and Neil Hogue on one of the SHOTs and they are unbelievable down to earth and approachable people !

I just shot a pic of Noah's Mill w/the Russell 10 because I bought them at the same time and just decided to taste them side by side, even though they are not the same type of bourbons. It's a pic that's been sitting in my phone for a long time.

I wouldn't say either are my favorites but the Russell at 90 Proof vs Noah at 114.3 Proof is obviously smoother and more enjoyable to drink "neat" straight out of the bottle.

FYI, I replaced the photo of the Hogue w/the Noah and Russell above with one that shows off the Hogue EX-F01 better.

Bought the knife off of the Exchange simply because I thought it was SO PRETTY w/the cocobolo scales on it.

However, as soon as I got it, I realized that the scales had to be replaced in order to avoid messing them up. So, I contacted Hogue and ordered a pair of black G10 scales instead, which makes the knife look much different -- all business! ;)

Placed it in front of a bottle of Weller 12 and Michter's 10 in the pic below.

Since they were so difficult to find, I have no plans to open either bottle until I can find/buy another bottle of each (preferrably for less than I paid for these), so that I'll always have one in reserve.

Same applies to certain other hard to find bottles that I've purchased recently.

UTeV4zb.jpg

Last edited:
I agree, the knife is much more useful with the new scales. Hogue have very good CS IMO, I spoke at the SHOT with some lady, forgot her name long time ago, but she was so knowledgeable, I never met anybody that knows his stuff so well. I was looking for G10 scales for my P226 SA and she had few very good options for me. Ended up keeping my original scales for other reasons but their G10 grips are outstanding ! Good Company, good people and good products, this is my experience with Hogue, and of course I like Elishewiz' knives a lot... :D
Cheers Gents !
oYmfVO.jpg

I agree, the knife is much more useful with the new scales. Hogue have very good CS IMO, I spoke at the SHOT with some lady, forgot her name long time ago, but she was so knowledgeable, I never met anybody that knows his stuff so well. I was looking for G10 scales for my P226 SA and she had few very good options for me. Ended up keeping my original scales for other reasons but their G10 grips are outstanding ! Good Company, good people and good products, this is my experience with Hogue, and of course I like Elishewiz' knives a lot... :D
Cheers Gents !
oYmfVO.jpg
Smoke Wagon - nice. Had an outstanding smoked old fashioned at The Griffin in Vegas pre-covid panic.

3 more bourbons that I purchased recently:

Boondocks 8 - Port Finished
Burning Chair - Barrel Select - Cabernet Sauvignon Finished
Hickory Hill 12 - Single Barrel

Have tasted both the Boondocks and Burning Chair which are both very smooth sippers neat w/just a little water added. Pouring them over ice is a waste.

Will compare the Boondocks w/Woodinville and Angel's Envy (both highly rated) side-by-side and wil taste the Hickory Hill as well soon.

Update: Just tasted the HH12. Actually am drinking it right now. At little too hot for me "neat" even at only 90 Proof. Adding water didn't help but it's very nice on ice. Very spicy and not that sweet, so I'm guessing there's a lot of rye in it. Not over oaked IMO and is w/in the 10-12 year "sweet spot' (so say the "experts") for bourbon.

Last edited:
My picks for tonight... I was lucky to snatch a bottle of Spirits of French Lick from Bourbonr's website and found the Hillrock, the Solera edition in my local store, so tonight I'm doing the neck-pours from both of them, still - unbelievable Bourbons !
Cheers Gents !

HlQcfa.jpg

Just finished the 1L bottle of Weller Special Reserve that I bought. Here's the bottle. LOL! ;)

g4qeKGl.jpg

It was "ok" but could ONLY drink it on ice; not neat w/or w/o a little water which is how I prefer to drink my whiskeys (scotch or bourbon).

It was worth a try but I won't buy another bottle of it unless I can buy it at or near its MSRP of $24 for a 750ml bottle and there's absolutely NO CHANCE of that, at least in my area.

But I won't miss it because I have LOTS of other bourbon to drink sitting on the shelves that are just as good and/or better than the Weller Special Reserve.

Last edited:
Weller single barrel is much better than special Reserve. If you get a chance, try it.

Bought a bottle of Weller 12 for "too much" but have no plans on opening it any time soon.

Last I saw, there was also a bottle of Weller Full Proof and Antique 107 available where I bought the Weller 12 but I have no plans to buy either of them at $300 and $150 respectively. And I've never yet seen a bottle of Weller Single Barrel anywhere around here.

Not worried about it.

There are too many other bottles of far less expensive and highly rated bourbons that I've purchased recently that I need to finish 1st. ;)

Last edited:
Bought a bottle of Weller 12 for "too much" but have no plans on opening it any time soon.

Last I saw, there was also a bottle of Weller Full Proof and Antique 107 available where I bought the Weller 12 but I have no plans to buy either of them at $300 and $150 respectively. And I've never yet seen a bottle of Weller Single Barrel anywhere around here.

Not worried about it.

There are too many other bottles of far less expensive and highly rated bourbons that I've purchased recently that I need to finish 1st. ;)
Weller Single Barrel was just released last year for the first time. I was lucky enough to get one for $60 instead of the $700 they are selling for on the secondary. Definitely worth $60.

Back