Bob Cargill Cripple Creek Knives

Cargill used a stainless steel for a lot of his bolsters, frames and such on the customs.
Greg

Last edited:
The Sidelocks. I will try and update this post when new images of the missing patterns show up. Keeping them all in this post
will give us a place to point to for future viewing. All the Sidelocks will have the CARGILL stamp.
Greg
orig.jpg

The Gunstock pattern at the top of the photo below is called the Flintlock

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Next is an article about "The Gambler" knife. This article is from December 1991.
View attachment 903195
View attachment 903196

Next is an ad from Dec 1991 for the "Si" knife.
View attachment 903197

Next is an article from Bob from Jan 1992, talking about the difficulties of being a 1 man knife factory.
View attachment 903199

Next is an article from Bob from Feb 1992, talking about the NKCA 20th Anniversary knife. *Note the typo in the heading says 29th, it should say "20th".
View attachment 903200

Next is an ad from Apr 1992, for 3 new knife patterns.
View attachment 903201

This is an article from Bob from May 1992, where he briefly mentions working on making his "Barrel Knife".
View attachment 903202
Ed still has this knife and took it to FL with him. He's going to show it to me when he returns this spring.

Next is an article about "The Gambler" knife. This article is from December 1991.
View attachment 903195
View attachment 903196

Next is an ad from Dec 1991 for the "Si" knife.
View attachment 903197

Next is an article from Bob from Jan 1992, talking about the difficulties of being a 1 man knife factory.
View attachment 903199

Next is an article from Bob from Feb 1992, talking about the NKCA 20th Anniversary knife. *Note the typo in the heading says 29th, it should say "20th".
View attachment 903200

Next is an ad from Apr 1992, for 3 new knife patterns.
View attachment 903201

This is an article from Bob from May 1992, where he briefly mentions working on making his "Barrel Knife".
View attachment 903202

Greg, I have never seen that peanut with the tear drop bolster (I guess that's what you would call it.) Thanks for posting that pic.

I haven't seen another one either. I thought there was some mention of a new style peanut in the info within this thread but haven't found it yet.
It's only a single sentence I'm searching for. Then again, I could just be experiencing sensory overload.
Greg

You won't see a Cargill Liner Lock very often. Kit Carson was a student of Cargill and they were friends for quite a few years. Might have
something to do with it. Might not.
This is a big fella at 5 1/4 inches. Ivory inlay into a stainless steel frame. It's pretty hefty too.
Greg

orig.jpg

Cargill's line of custom knives. We'll have to see if we can find knives on the list. The War Lance is already on the previous page and here is the
Pearl and Ebony Coup Stick.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

From the Davis Collection are the Crazy Horse, Walking Stick, Flintlock and Arrowhead.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Some other customs from the Davis Collection.

orig.jpg

The Thunderbird. #9 on Cargill's list.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Another example of the War Lance. Appears to be Micarta scales by the look of the palm swell.

orig.jpg

The Seminole on tip and the Sidelock Tippecanoe on the bottom with a lockback and a fixed blade.

orig.jpg

The Sundance.

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Another Buffalo Skinner from 1983. I'm sure he did invent his own Jigging machine Mike.
You don't see that jigging anywhere else. He was always tinkering. I'm still not 100% sure how he did the match striker pulls.
If I was to find out for sure how he did them I wouldn't tell anyone.
I've got a pretty good idea how but can't say for sure.
Nice Toothpick !!
Greg

orig.jpg
I was trying to figure out the production numbers on this 83 - Stag LI-10. If I look at the 81-84 list on page 9, I don’t see any stag 83 2-blade Skinners. I do see where there are some listed in page 10 in the 84 1st Quater News letter. Would those be the 83’s or the 84’s produced. Reason I ask is that I have a 83 Stag Buffalo Skinner coming. Appreciate the help. Thanks

The Smoke Signals being the 1st quarter of 1984 it could be a '83 secondary blade and the knife was made either late '83 or the beginning of '84.
It doesn't really matter but it can be a bit frustrating. You just have to look at the time frame and figure from there.
It could have been made late in '83 but didn't get counted until the first quarter of '84. Take your pick. It doesn't make any difference.
You'll find a small error from time to time. Cargill was more of a knifemaker than a bean counter.
That's a great knife regardless.
Greg

Last edited:
The Smoke Signals being the 1st quarter of 1984 it is could be a '83 secondary blade and the knife was made either late '83 or the beginning of '84.
It doesn't really matter but it can be a bit frustrating. You just have to look at the time frame and figure from there.
It could have been made late in '83 but didn't get counted until the first quarter of '84. Take your pick. It doesn't make any difference.
You'll find a small error from time to time. Cargill was more of a knifemaker than a bean counter.
That's a great knife regardless.
Greg
Thanks Greg. That seems to make perfect sense. I glad he was a great knife maker, and not a bean counter too :)

Here is 1 other image I found that can contribute to this thread.

Here is a photo of the sample prototype knife that Bob made and submitted to the NKCA for consideration for the 20th Anniversary knife (which was eventually chosen and produced.)174.jpg

There is new information about the Jigging Machine Cargill used for his bone scales on Page 14 Post #263.
Greg

Thanks Mitch for providing details on the jigged bone. That must have been quite the summer job.

I asked about the shields in case he had his own version of a parser plate to inlet them. I know other knife makers have used other methods other than parser plates to inlet shields, such as doing them by hand.

I carried one of these knives for over a year and have to say it's one of the best made knives I have ever used. The carved lettering gave extra grip to the knife.
I think Cargill did these knives this way just to do something different for that show.
I ended up giving that knife to a friend that needed one. He still uses it and I still miss it today, several years later. For me it's the perfect whittler pattern. You can't have a whittler without
a coping blade. I just wouldn't be right.
Greg

orig.jpg
Greg I scored one of these off EBay about a year ago! I carry it quite often..mine is pretty well made no gaps and the bone is perfect..but does have blade rub! But I agree it's a great pattern for a user knife. Anyone know the number of these made? I am guessing pretty low..?

Knives in Cargill's regular line were usually 100 pieces or less. A knife he made just for a particular event would more than likely be
less than half that. With the Old Fort knives not having Smoke Signals for documentation like the Lockport knives, we have to use
deductive reasoning. In other words, we have to guess until we find something definitive. I would put the number of those knives
somewhere around 25-30 pieces or less. Why would you make more than that for a show.

Last edited:
The Cargill Cripple Creek Classics. I am not sure about the timeline when these were made but most of them seem to be from 1991.
They are for the most part patterns from the Cripple Creek line that were customized and with the Classics Logo.
I have a few examples and will add to this post when I get more photos of them.

Here is a Pink Pearl LI-1.

orig.jpg

Cattleman from 1991.

orig.jpg

A Whittler from 1991

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Back