Brands to stay away from

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was proven. If people don't care that strider is a stolen valor scumbag and just like his knives, fine, say it. But to not accept that he is a stolen valor scumbag is ignorant denial.
I have no argument with your statement, and I have read the link years earlier. I am a vet, and "stolen valor" means a really bad guy in my book. I firmly believe that and have nothing but disdain for such a person.
However, I like knives that work well for me. Striders do that, as do CRK's, ZT's, Spydies and others. If I am to be definitive in purchasing knives that only come from "good-meaning" people, then there are certain manufacturers and/or countries...that do NOT have our best interests in mind, but rather are just out there to make a buck..while at the same time perhaps trying to undermine the greater interests of our country at large.
I might not like Rick Strider, but that doesn't mean that I would try to destroy his company and the jobs of honorable men and women who work conscientiously in his employ, trying intently to produce a good product as a decent price-point. I just won't go that far.
Hate him if you wish, but limit your hatred. You will sleep better at night.

I have no argument with your statement, and I have read the link years earlier. I am a vet, and "stolen valor" means a really bad guy in my book. I firmly believe that and have nothing but disdain for such a person.
However, I like knives that work well for me. Striders do that, as do CRK's, ZT's, Spydies and others. If I am to be definitive in purchasing knives that only come from "good-meaning" people, then there are certain manufacturers and/or countries...that do NOT have our best interests in mind, but rather are just out there to make a buck..while at the same time perhaps trying to undermine the greater interests of our country at large.
I might not like Rick Strider, but that doesn't mean that I would try to destroy his company and the jobs of honorable men and women who work conscientiously in his employ, trying intently to produce a good product as a decent price-point. I just won't go that far.

Hate ain't got nothing to do with it - it's the principle. He isn't insulting you. He's insulting the patriots that did not make it back home.

I sleep just fine.

I appreciate your honesty in regards to not minding the support you give to Strider knives. That said, my problem is with the below:
The problem with Strider is that quite a few folks "here" have accused Mick Strider of falsifying his military service records...or something of that sort. They may or may not be correct in their assessment of his honesty (whatever)...but the knives are excellent.
You brush aside the facts, as proven over and over, in fact by the owner of bladeforums.com, that Strider knives are built on stolen valor. In particular, "the may or may not be correct in their assessment of his honesty..."

The status of Strider's honesty is quite clear. Denying it is in itself, an act of dishonesty. Be better than that.

I sleep just fine.

I appreciate your honesty in regards to not minding the support you give to Strider knives. That said, my problem is with the below:

You brush aside the facts, as proven over and over, in fact by the owner of bladeforums.com, that Strider knives are built on stolen valor. In particular, the "may or may not be correct in their assessment of his honesty..."

The status of Strider's honesty is quite clear. Denying it is in itself, an act of dishonesty. Be better than that.

I am better than that... I included the possibility that your statements (and Spark's assertions) are entirely correct. I have not thoroughly researched it...and don't care to.
I don't buy, or disregard, knife models based on the personality traits of the company's ownership.
I stay here because this is a top knife forum...this is not "Judge Judy."

Last edited:
I am better than that... I included the possibility that your statements (and Spark's assertions) are entirely correct. I have not thoroughly researched it...and don't care to.
I don't buy, or disregard, knife models based on the personality traits of the company's ownership.
I stay here because this is a top knife forum...this is not "Judge Judy."
No "possibility" about it. Nothing to judge. :thumbsup:

Strider got sued (in an actual court) and ended up having to admit, as part of a settlement, that he has/had no combat experience with any branch of the military or US government agency. There's no question he's a lying POS.
Yup. It is irritating when people, especially long time members that know better, try to cast doubt on these facts rather than accept that they don't mind giving money over to a con man of the worst kind.

Is a knife really worth supporting a lying stolen valor scum bag? I can't wrap my head around why someone would value the knife so much they look past the crummy dude they are supporting.

The "I don't care what the man who I'm supporting with my dollars did, I like the knife crowd" can these people be so materialistic that they truly care about nothing other than the object?

I suppose so.

I don't care what "good deeds" mick burger has done to save face. He could rescue a kitten from a tree every day, it doesn't change the irrefutable fact that he is a lying, stolen valor, con man who continues to profit from pretending to be a commando with zero atonement.

Yup. It is irritating when people, especially long time members that know better, try to cast doubt on these facts rather than accept that they don't mind giving money over to a con man of the worst kind.

You were on the money before. It’s one thing to buy his knives despite Mickey’s shady history, but it’s delusional to deny that he’s shady.

I wasn’t going to jump back in but....
Strider’s knives are not excellent. His fixed blades come dull as a sack of hammers which would not be bad except many of them are a quarter inch and so thick behind the edge that one has to remove a significant amount of metal in order to get the knife to cut.....never mind slice like a knife should. All this from a piece of metal that has been wrapped in paracord and costs 500.00$. Glad he can get it but you should not buy it
If you search issues (Even on the green site, where he is a DemiGod) about his SnG’s and SMF’s you will see that there have been multiple discussions about the angles and ratios of curves he would grind into the lock face of his frame locks. This would cause slippage, rock lock and quicker than usual wear. He may have dialed it in over the last couple of years but for over a decade he denied any and all problems with this.
He almost admitted it when he redesigned the frame locks for his SJ75 folder cause he knew the other two folders were witchy. Again for a 500....now 800 dollar knife . No way there are just too many other options.

I believe some (many?) merchants operate under the premise that a fool and his money are soon parted. There was a time when one had a few knives to use for specific chores, or only one that had to last for many years, and now there are so many knives filling drawers because “the internet says...” Go figure.

My friend, I thank you for your service.

As a fellow veteran I will offer that I personally will not own anything associated with Strider. I think that now includes Medford.

Also, as a manufacturing employee, I will say that if, and once, I knew what the boss was, I would actively strive to get as far away from there as soon as I could. I won't disparage a person for having to make due but I would never be comfortable with settling for providing my efforts to make a product that was promoted under the worst pretenses and continues to, at the very least, passively allow those pretenses to exist.

There is for me, no reason to possess a Strider knife.

Last edited:
I have not owned a Strider knife for at least the last five to seven yrs. When I bought them, I had no idea of Strider's "stolen valor." I don't support Strider, but the folders worked well for me at the time.
As a vet, I have run into many guys who say they were in "Special Forces." It does make one wonder.
Finally, I'm bowing out of this ruckus; it was not my intention to cause a stir, and it's really tiresome.

The overly simplistic answer to this thread is basically stay away from any knife company that is willing to lie to the customers. If they will lie about anything, or hide/obscure details, steal designs, etc. Then basically everything is suspect and not worth your money!

@PirateSeulb & J John_0917 ...the Gerber Strongarm is pretty good. Bout the only one I can say that about. lol
As long as you don’t mind paying $70 for a chunk of 420HC!

Sad what has become of Gerber since the scissors people bought them; I have nothing against the Swedes, but they just really don’t make good products when they have them outsourced to the PRC be made (IKEA, Volvo, Gerber etc)

As a fellow veteran I will offer that I personally will not own anything associated with Strider. I think that now includes Medford.
Without reading the past 9 pages how’s Medford involved with Strider knives? Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back