Brands to stay away from

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strider really? See thats why I'm asking because I've been looking at strider and some of their collaborations and assumed they would be good.
Thank you!!
I believe Strider only makes a few Custom knives nowadays.

I had no intention of stirring the pot or anything like that, as I stated in the original post I was just looking for advice. Im again sorry for starting such a big debate and I've learned to be more cautious with what I ask and how, but I wasn't trying to beat a dead horse or upset anyone. Ive learned alot looking at these forums and was just trying to get a little more involved

Bah, the question was all good. That avatar on the other hand...

:D

Strider really? See thats why I'm asking because I've been looking at strider and some of their collaborations and assumed they would be good.
Thank you!!
Strider is a fine knife. I've had about twenty Striders in past years in four different models. The knives were fine; the heat-treat fine; the customer service is OUTSTANDING, and I've used it twice over the years with complete happiness.
The problem with Strider is that quite a few folks "here" have accused Mick Strider of falsifying his military service records...or something of that sort. They may or may not be correct in their assessment of his honesty (whatever)...but the knives are excellent.

Strider is a fine knife. I've had about twenty Striders in past years in four different models. The knives were fine; the heat-treat fine; the customer service is OUTSTANDING, and I've used it twice over the years with complete happiness.
The problem with Strider is that quite a few folks "here" have accused Mick Strider of falsifying his military service records...or something of that sort. They may or may not be correct in their assessment of his honesty (whatever)...but the knives are excellent.
Are you joking? He did fake his military service.

I say again. Are you joking?

Got a question guys. How are the Chinese-made Kershaws in terms of overall build quality, fit and finish, quality control, etc. Yay or nay?

The owner of this site laid it out very clearly in no uncertain terms...I suggest you read it.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/mick-strider-has-some-explaining-to-do.453852/
Read this back when I was still a lurker lmao. The evidence is pretty convincing.

I suppose some folks don’t really care about the controversy and just appreciate the Strider knives for their build quality. I don’t judge them for it as it’s their hard-earned cash. Me personally, I’ll never pick up a Strider knife. For upper tier knives, I’d rather spend on a CRK or a Demko knife.

It was proven. If people don't care that strider is a stolen valor scumbag and just like his knives, fine, say it. But to not accept that he is a stolen valor scumbag is ignorant denial. Read the link posted any time strider comes up. Some people might get upset that we always repost that link every time the topic is discussed but this post above is exactly why it needs to keep being posted.

Very little mention of Bark River in this thread. The quickest search on them or Mike Stewart will yield days and days of lovely reading material.
Yes.

While I had no major issues with the ones I had (some fit and finish was way off), the track record of issues and how the company has handled them led to me selling off all the BRKTs I had. The company is not worth supporting in my view.

Got a question guys. How are the Chinese-made Kershaws in terms of overall build quality, fit and finish, quality control, etc. Yay or nay?

They are okay. I've carried a bunch of them over the years. Mostly, it's been assisted knives in 8Cr13Mov. I've moved past both of those things as the market has evolved. Now, at least when ordering online, decent manual actions can be had for a song. Better steels have also been creeping down into the same price ranges as Kershaw's 8Cr13Mov knives. The main selling point for Kershaw in this range is excellent customer service and a company that really stands behind their products.

The last Chinese-made Kershaw I bought was a Fraxion. It's a well-built, fairly minimalist liner lock. The manual action is okay but made great by a really strong detent. Some people say it's too strong but it does break in nicely. It actually works out perfectly for me. I didn't like the clip so I removed it. The flipper design and strong detent make it very safe to carry loose in a pocket. It's light enough for a pajama pocket around the house. My main complaint is one that I've had with a few of the Chinese-made Kershaws. The grind isn't totally even and it smiles up at the base of the blade. I'll eventually fix that if I ever get around to using it enough that I need to take it to the stones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back