Brass is back on the menu... GEC #44

Just received a new 44 in ebony, nice action and size. Unfortunately, out of the tube and wrapping paper the knife has some type of black deposit spots on the main blade, thought it might be buffing compound. I cleaned it off with a paper towel and some oil, much to my disappointment there was some pitting under the deposit. Guess I'll have to buff this one out. Hope our friends at GEC pay a little more attention to quality and wipe the blades off before packing.
View attachment 947173
"Yikes!" , Love your new steak knife.

I order two myself in brass and the Tidioute Golden rod jigged bone , after they got rid of the hotdog shield.

They changed the hotdog shields on the Tidioute Goldenrod jigged bone to "Tidioute shields".

GEC changed the Goldenrod jigged bone hotdog shield to Tidioute shield.

I just preordered one and they dropped the hotdog shield to the Tidioute shield.

Right on ! I got 3 #44s coming with no hotdog shields

They just dropped the hotdog shield and I had to preordered one yesterday
Somebody's excited. I guess you really hate hotdogs. Lol

GEC-ILLUSTRATED.jpg

This is a pretty sweet pattern. I just got mine today but unfortunately it has some issues. There was a decent sized rust spot on the main blade. I don't mind a little patina but I like to be the one to put it there! Both blades have some long faint hairline scratches on them too so I wonder if a dirty rag was the issue.

Also, the clip has some really good snap to it and feels like a 7-8 pull to me but the pen is a lot weaker and doesn't seem to want to close from the half stop. I kind of have to push it home all the way.

Long story short, I love the look of this one and it feels great in hand but this specific knife has some problems. I can see why these are so popular though and I will see if I can find one without the issues!

Good eye. Not sure I'd have noticed had you not pointed it out. Wonder what lead them to omit the pin on some & not others.... ??

Possibly because they might put a sink-hole pin on that fourth one? :eek::D
They often do on wood or synthetics......;):rolleyes:

If true, better that they left it off on the Ebony, it looks the best of the run by a long chalk :thumbsup::cool:

Back