Buck problems in the General forum

I also noticed that there is a definite "rounding" at the corners of the butt of the blade and the locking bar where they come together which I don't see in some earlier models. A flaw? Does it cause any issues? I have no idea, but it is there, and I wonder if it's caused by blanking dies wearing out or is it the result of other processes done to the blade after it's blanked?

I see this problem? feature? aspect? in pictures people have posted, but not in the 110 I bought last year at WW. Just the very slightest hint of rounding at one corner. Also, no blade wiggle. But I have only used it to cut meat, rope, and sharpen the odd tent peg. Need to give it a real test to see if it stands up to the one I have in 440C from so long ago.

I see this problem? feature? aspect? in pictures people have posted, but not in the 110 I bought last year at WW. Just the very slightest hint of rounding at one corner. Also, no blade wiggle. But I have only used it to cut meat, rope, and sharpen the odd tent peg. Need to give it a real test to see if it stands up to the one I have in 440C from so long ago.

I'd never noticed the rounding until I took a couple of close up photos with a macro lens.

Here's a quick (and perhaps a bit fuzzy) photo of three for comparison. The knife on the left is a fairly recent one from the Custom Shop when they were still stamping the S30V on the blades. The center one is from 1989 and the new one is on the right. They all have a bit of rounding of the corners but it far more evident on the new one.

Dave, mega-props for posting this.

To his massive credit, Jeff noted earlier in the thread that they are seeing a pattern too.

I know this has been a difficult discussion for some over the past several months or more and I can only imagine its harder for Jeff and Joe. Here's hoping they can get to the bottom of it. I'm confident they can.

I'm going to look for one of my 4 dots next. I believe that's when they changed to fine blanking (with the change to 425M) and that might provide a clue whether or not the rounding is caused by the blanking process. I checked out but didn't picture a 3 dot but it's fit there is the same as the 2 dot, both are 440C and used the old blade shaping process.

New one on the right compaired to a new in box 2 dot. Quite a bit of difference.

the older one looks tighter than a Scot's coin pocket! Sadly mine wasn't even close to any of the ones you've posted..

buckfit1_zps5a4577eb.jpg

I'd like to give my 2 pence regarding the nature of my thread. I had/have no intentions of slagging off or bitching about Buck, they offer a great service and have the best customer care around. But I wasn't happy with the knives, and this is probably the best place to discuss it and test the water for advice and other useful comments.

If there are negative comments relating to a product it will only fuel the efforts to correct these problems and issues, but when the fanboys start chiming in it all starts sounding like a sly way to knock off the name and not contribute fairly. But it isn't that, it's a knife forum, and a bloody fine one at that and a good place to discuss anything relating to happy or unhappy feelings about a knife. I was unhappy with mine, and not because it wasn't perfectly fit and finished, but because the blades on all three developed play after normal garden duties. The tip was a suprise to me at first, but it's not a direct fault or anything like that with the knife - just my expectations.

I do find it slightly off putting that this thread was made. Can an unhappy customer not have his say, just because there are alot of others who are unhappy too? Atleast I took the time to use the knives, take pictures, log my findings and contact those relating to the issues.

Ok, let me play Moderator here since the OP of a thread that was mentioned in the beginning has commented about thIs thread. I have watched this thread develop and there was never anything but discussion of knives. No personal attacks, only some light flag waving.
This my friends is what a forum is about. We discuss knives without cussin', spitin' and name callin'. The business of a moderator is to LET pro's and con's be discussed but not let the bad stuff get started. This thread is way things should be done.

Samon you have nothing to explain, for good discussion has occurred and will likely continue. 300

PS Nice photos

I am wondering if Buck started laser cutting their blades rather than punching them out if that would help the situation

The less than squared area where the blade base meets the back lock is different?

I remember a 110 sometime back with a sprung pivot, blade play and a broken tip but that one had been used as a throwing knife into a tree at the end of the long story.

I'm going to look for one of my 4 dots next. I believe that's when they changed to fine blanking (with the change to 425M) and that might provide a clue whether or not the rounding is caused by the blanking process. I checked out but didn't picture a 3 dot but it's fit there is the same as the 2 dot, both are 440C and used the old blade shaping process.

So much for that theory. I dug out three 4 dots and they have the blade to lock bar fit just the same as the 2 and 3 dots.

It will be interesting to find out why the blade to lock fit seems so different on the newer 110s.

I will take a look at my 110 & 112. This is interesting.
For now all I can say is I can not buy as many knives as I would like and not a lot of Bucks, However the last two Bucks I bought I am happy with. The newest one the Reaper is more impressive then I thought it would be. I know this thread is mostly about folders or at least the the 110. I hope Buck Looks into this as I am sure they will. When most people think Buck they think 110.

I do find it slightly off putting that this thread was made. Can an unhappy customer not have his say, just because there are alot of others who are unhappy too? Atleast I took the time to use the knives, take pictures, log my findings and contact those relating to the issues.

Here is the bottom line: as long as Buck makes good products, I will continue to buy them and support the company, and so will others.

Last edited:
I am ticked with Buck: premises follow.
1. First, I like to buy American, especially on items like knives. Before the experts on the New World Order/Economy jump in and lecture me on how things are and call me a hypocrite cause I shop sometimes at Wally World, yeah, ya got me, I can n ot buy everything USA made BUT I can seek out such products, ok?
2. I had Bucks when I was a little tyke and up through young adulthood-loved the old 110, and the Personal was a grail knife when I was a teenager-would love to whoop the jerk who stole mine, if I could find him.
3. Bought two 110s recently, a 154 and a s30v, for two respective chain stores-Cabela's and BPS.
4. The 154's back liner stuck out when closed and blade wobbled, brand new and unused. Got it fixed and traded same.
5. The s30v blade wobbles like a weeble when closed, in transition, and when locked. Brand new. Unacceptable.
6. Still got the s30v, guess I'll send it back for that touted "customer service," hope for a good fix and for what is supposedly good heat treatment on the blade...
7. AFTER I pay shipping back and forth AND insure against loss, cause Buck won't, AND it's ALWAYS their 'peak season" and will take while to look at the knife.
8. "Customer service" means getting it right the first time, NOT constant shipping and insuring back and forth for every purchase.
9. If anyone wants to talk about the 4,000 knives they bought that were perfect (implicitly challenging my veracity), I do not care.
10. If anyone wants to say i am asking too much, I disagree-a blade should center and lock up.

The 110 is a LANDMARK design, in terms of styling, like a 57 Chevy, and in terms of functionality, like an 870 shotgun, an ALL-TIME CLASSIC. So, please treat this work of art with the respect it deserves. I really want to order a pimped-out custom 110, but I am not confident dropping the bread on it, simple as that.

Other than your post dripping with sarcasm,

1. First, I like to buy American, especially on items like knives. Before the experts on the New World Order/Economy jump in and lecture me on how things are and call me a hypocrite cause I shop sometimes at Wally World, yeah, ya got me, I can n ot buy everything USA made BUT I can seek out such products, ok?

How is this a fault against Buck? They make most of their knives in the USA.

7. AFTER I pay shipping back and forth AND insure against loss, cause Buck won't

Is there another manufacturer that does this?

Back