Buck problems in the General forum

Choosing words like "buck bashing" doesn't accurately describe the thread, it describes how you feel about something that you can't comprehend as you have a biased opinion on the whole subject.

I re-read the thread and you are right. Not too much bashing when you look at the words. Just a general notion that Buck is off its game, not worth spending your money on, and there are better options. I disagree with this and I should have chosen better words to express this.

Last edited:
The discussion about rounding is interesting, but I don't think it has anything at all to do with whether or not there is play in blade or lock.

110 blade play depends more on how tightly the liners are pressed together on assembly, how perpendicular the pivot hole is drilled and how parallel and flat the blade sides and liners are. I do not believe the ends of the pivot are peened by the factory, so even a tight new blade can develop play after some hard use as torque on the blade will tend to drive the liners apart. A couple thousandths of an inch is all it would take, about the thickness of a piece of notebook paper.

Locks are either fit well or not, I don't see any way around that, though clearance on the pivot pin diameter can allow the blade to move when rocked up and down, even if the lock is fit well.

Personally, I think the only way to solve the blade play issue is to change to a screwed together pivot. FWIW, I have lockbacks from several makers and play is common to all of them, to some degree.

Isn't it pretty much normal for a lock back knife to develop up and down play over time?

I just dug out a new in the box, never used Case Hammerhead lock back and it has noticeable up and down blade play and pronounced side to side play, so it's not limited to Bucks.

Just back this morning. I notice some folks seem to doubt the veracity of others, perhaps legitimately, to some degree, based on their anectdotal experience. End of the day, I do not care. I did and am doing what the maker advised. If your a dealer, maybe you get a better deal, I do not know. I ship by the post office, during lunch, right down the street from my office,because I lack time to run back and forth to another shipper. My knives were worth over $100, anyway, although not by much. "Great customer service" that means down time for the product, back and forth in shipping and in repair, with transactional costs, is not that great. Make it right the first time, make sure it goes out right. I want to love Buck 110 knives, and, again, I would like to by a custom, but I am not going to do so. I wish them the best.cwd

cddotson, I'm not doubting that you paid for return shipping. I still wonder why you had to? You seem reluctant to explain that. I'm not a dealer, have no connection to a dealer and have NEVER had to pay for return shipping for any reason.

Even old knives sent in for a cleaning up (aka: spa job) that costs about $8 are returned at Buck's expense, so I'm curious why you had to pay for return shipping, especially if it was warranty work.

I wonder how much of it has to do with the new 'fad' of beating the ever living crap out of your knife. Buck designs like the 110 were around long before people expected them to chop wood or pry cement blocks. They were/are designed for cutting, gutting, slicing, etc. Just the comment about using the spine to break bones made me worry about losing my Totin'chip. In my mind, a knife's lock is like a gun's safety. It's good that it's there, but don't ever trust it.
Maybe Bucks just aren't designed with abuse in mind.

I wonder how much of it has to do with the new 'fad' of beating the ever living crap out of your knife. Buck designs like the 110 were around long before people expected them to chop wood or pry cement blocks. They were/are designed for cutting, gutting, slicing, etc. Just the comment about using the spine to break bones made me worry about losing my Totin'chip. In my mind, a knife's lock is like a gun's safety. It's good that it's there, but don't ever trust it.
Maybe Bucks just aren't designed with abuse in mind.

If you look at an EKA 92, which seems to be an equivalent Scandinavian folder, you can treat it as if it is a fixed blade when locked. Similar price, size, etc, has a similar look if you go for wooden scales, excellent blade steel (12c27). And this design has been around since the 70's. If Buck can't provide a knife of equal quality, I don't think that is "bashing" to say so. If you want to buy a Buck anyway, because the brand has nostalgia value for you, fine - but someone who is asking for a folder with a lock that can stand up to mild (or in the EKA's case, pretty damn extreme) impacts is NOT asking for the unobtainable, even in a folder with traditional looks.

I live way over in Nova Scotia Canada,and I have yet to pay the shipping back to me for any service or knife sent in to Buck for repairs.I do believe Buck 110 knives are some of the best folders in the world,even by todays standards.I have been abusing a new 110 all weekend ,it has a lot of blade play,but would you believe the dang lock is still working perfect,no failure even beating it spine first into a cinder block.I think they are tougher than most think,damn near bullet proof for a folder.

I destroyed a few knives in my day wanting to see just how well they'd hold up,buck is at the top of the list for durability.I have had some new 110 knives,as a matter of fact a $100 alaskan guide 110,that was horrible,Buck was more than helpfull,they sent me a replacement that was PERFECT!I used that 110 all last fall guiding and skinning out bear and deer,andit locks up rock solid ,I gues they had some issues,I think they have them worked out now.

Buck should make a 110 that's beefed up. Maybe redo the pivot pin, to a recessed larger threaded type and a heavier locking bar? Anyway I think it would be a pretty big hit, if they did redesign it to be ultra heavy duty. Even if it was 2 times the price I can't see it not selling.

I would make the appeal more general than that.

IMO, Buck would do well to solve the problem on all their lockbacks.

Taking nothing away from the classic elements of the 110, in many ways its a design that is loosing relevance in today's market. Preferences are clearly moving away from belt holster carry to pocket carry. The 110 is too thick and too heavy for this. The California clip is falling out of favor among hunters who are gravitating toward drop point designs. General purpose utility designs moved away from that blade shape a long time ago.

Buck obviously understands this as is clear from the multitude of other lockbacks they offer. This is to their credit.

But IMO, every Buck lockback should lock up like a bank vault. Buck should be synonymous with durable, bullet proof lock up. That's the reputation they earned with the 110s of the 70s and what many of experienced and want from all Buck lockbacks.

My Bucklites didn't last a year. My Ecolite has developed play. I have several people who I would love to gift with Spitfires. But I'm sitting on the sidelines for now. Customer service or no, I want to see improvements on all their lockbacks before I start spending money on them again.

Pinnah, sounds like the knife you are describing in your first paragraph is the re-introduced 500 (you introduced me to the original Model 500). There needs to be greater availability of the new 500 at Buck dealers - hard to find around here so far. I haven't handled one yet, hope the lock-up stays tight. OH

Last edited:
well this is still quite the thread
it is my understanding that only the drop point 110 blades, blades that will be fully chip flinted and the steels like s30v bg42 ect are laser cut.
this would mean that the run of the mill 110 blade will be stamped out and finebanked
so I agree with Dave on this ...
as to a heavy duity 110 .. I do belive that was what the Alpha Hunter was all about ..

note the 500 was discontented as a regular production knife but is still put out as a LE or for one other reason..
ANFOLDING KNIFE that is used to pry or intentionally used with side pressure on the blade WILL DEVLOPE WIGGLE
I don't care who makes it ..
once I would unload on any one downing buck knives now I will listen and some times may even agree but
for the price you cant beat a Buck Knife!!!
note also there is that buck-saber china sales that puts out cheep no good copys of many of bucks knives
Buck Knife Inc -
NEEDS TO DELIVER EBAY A CEASE AND DESIST ORDER ON ACCEPTING LISTINGS SHIPED FROM CHINA
for buck knives as this is one of the things I believe contribute to the idea that all bucks are made there!!

Last edited:
well I have some thing else to contribute
on that fleabay thing ...
half of what you get when you source buck has a China shipping site!!!
and some folks have bought them and they are CRAP !
there are several issues that are hard to tell if they are a real 110 or what ever!
even the box is marked like it should be and
I have come on several sellers and flea market types selling these knives and
telling every one they are garenteed forever!!
most have saber as in buck-saber in the name ...
there is a web site that sells knocks off that are hard to spot also..
that Buck's Legal department has NOT made ebay refuse those fake buck listings
is hard to understand or perhaps they have and they keep finding a way around it ...
any way was at a gun show this sat and seen those knock offs for sale at a table
he said they were real buck 110's but the quality was not there..
IMHO Buck needs to file cease and ditsiest orders on ebay to make then not accept listings from that group!
because any one that buys one of those knockoffs will be disappointed!

It's not just 110's either Dave. Did you see this one? ( http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1058273-Beware-of-fake-Vantage-Force-models ).

I wonder if Buck has had many counterfeits sent in for warranty work, and how they handle it if they have.

Buck Knife Inc -
NEEDS TO DELIVER EBAY A CEASE AND DESIST ORDER ON ACCEPTING LISTINGS SHIPED FROM CHINA
for buck knives as this is one of the things I believe contribute to the idea that all bucks are made there!!
You got that right!:thumbup: It's down right amazing to see the percentage of knives there that are blatant counterfeits,up to and including the box they come in .

This thread got me thinking. The reported QC issues have focused on the 110. I wonder if some of the same issues are happening with the 112 ?

well this is still quite the thread
it is my understanding that only the drop point 110 blades, blades that will be fully chip flinted and the steels like s30v bg42 ect are laser cut.
this would mean that the run of the mill 110 blade will be stamped out and finebanked

so I agree with Dave on this ...

That's my understanding also, based on the Buck employee's statement. I believe that those you mentioned would fall into his catagory of limited/low number production items. The S30V and BG-42 may be too hard on the blanking equipment also, as the 440C reportedly was.

This thread got me thinking. The reported QC issues have focused on the 110. I wonder if some of the same issues are happening with the 112 ?

That's a good ppint, I hope someone can give a run down of how their 112 models hold up after use.

I will not be buying another Buck folder untill significant changes to the pivot have happened, but I will certainly have a play with some of the fixed bladed models. :)

What I keep reading around this forum no matter what brand it is, if someone has an issue or and opinion he gets bashed by the "other" team. It's like dems and rep around this forum. Some people here get so offended if you talk down their team! the obvious thing here that you cant argue is Buck moved well over 1/2 of their line to china and a lot of you keep supporting that decision by buying the Chinese models. If no one bought they would not produce there. I looked at a new 110 a while back, it's not the same flagship knife as it.
Wait didn't Buck stop out Chine production? I thought the Idaho plant would pick up all the out sourcing jobs.
I've found a different story here on the Buck forum. I've read threads where Bucks have failed either F&F, blade breakage, lock failure, or even liner lock and the OP was received with lots of help and good conversation. The threads where posters are trashing the brand gets pretty heated but what do you expect? In this very sub forum reserved for the Buck manufacture if you where to start a thread stating that Buck was better than say Gerber the regulars would disagree and would have good tbings to say about the other American company. It doesnt take many threads read to come to the conclusion that this sub forum is mostly people talking and sharing pictures of the Bucks they use, just bought, just broke, or looking for information about a Buck they bought or looking to buy.

Back