Buck problems in the General forum

I am wondering if Buck started laser cutting their blades rather than punching them out if that would help the situation
Laser cutting IS the manner Buck does it. CNC not plasma cutting. I've been to the plant and observed it being done.

cwd, Your #7 premise is not accurate. Buck does indeed pay return shipping. Those without experience in this wouldn't know. DM

"Is there another manufacturer that does this? "

Unless a manufacturer or retailer tells you otherwise BEFORE sale, they warrant that a product will work reasonably well and bear all risk that it does not. That's in all 50 states and Puerto Rico. Who decides what is "reasonable"? In the last resort, a jury of consumers, and their record of sympathy for makers and sellers is not extensive.

All the lawyer talk inside the package is of no effect whatsoever.

Laser cutting IS the manner Buck does it. CNC not plasma cutting. I've been to the plant and observed it being done.

cwd, Your #7 premise is not accurate. Buck does indeed pay return shipping. Those without experience in this wouldn't know. DM

So David, Buck has switched from fine blanking their production line blades to laser cutting? When did that take place? I recall a thread a spell back, where a Buck employee (Caleb) noted that they did some blades using the laser but they were low production number items that it was used for.

Post #2

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/987310-Forming-blades-shapes-at-Buck

did not for me, and haven't said they would on the s30v. if i am wrong, then somebody owes me money,

did not for me, and haven't said they would on the s30v. if i am wrong, then somebody owes me money,

So how did it get returned? Did Buck ask you for shipping money to send it back to you? I've sent in several knives over the last few years and even for non warranty work they paid for the return shipping.

dogstar, if i sounded too sarcastic for you, sorry. now, from subjective to more objective:
i am aware buck mostly does us manufacture-the premise establishes a bias in favor of buck and like companies.
second, i do not know of any knife companies that insure (i do know of some other non-knife companies that do), BUT buck does not, which means i have to,
OR risk loss. that is a hidden cost of great "customer service."cwd

So how did it get returned? Did Buck ask you for shipping money to send it back to you? I've sent in several knives over the last few years and even for non warranty work they paid for the return shipping.

I think cwd is talking about cost of shipping the knife back to Buck to be repaired.

plumberdv, i paid. your mileage may vary, and congratulations on that.cwd

Dosen't answer my question. How and why did you pay for the return shipping? Did Buck ask for payment or did you just assume that they would and send it in with the knife? Secondly, every knife or knives I've had shipped back to be free of charge has been shipped UPS which has an automatic $100 worth of insurance covering each shipment.

My 110 is dated 09/21/2012 and has same rounded corner on the end of spine where it meets locking bar like Plumberdv's new knife photo. The blade has a slight horizontal play but no vertical play.

Buck should make a 110 that's beefed up. Maybe redo the pivot pin, to a recessed larger threaded type and a heavier locking bar? Anyway I think it would be a pretty big hit, if they did redesign it to be ultra heavy duty. Even if it was 2 times the price I can't see it not selling.

Could the rounding come from one of the manufacturing processes after the blades have been cut or blanked? All of my Buck folders have shown that kind of fit between the blade and the locking bar. Even my slipjoints have rounded edges in those areas. I've also seen the same thing on Case slippies. I just wonder if it could be happening when they are polishing up the edges of the tang.

As far as vertical blade play goes, it doesn't take much difference in specs to induce vertical blade play in a lockback. I had a Spyderco Delica 4 with vertical play, where the lockbar stuck up the tiniest bit. I was able to take the knife apart, and sanded the face of the lockbar ever so lightly, and had a flush lockbar and tight lockup. We're talking a hair's width of steel that was removed, and it completely changed how the knife locked. Even if all the lockbars are to spec after they come out of the machine, if they are hand finished it might explain why we see so much variation. That's just my theory at least.

The rounding seems to be on most of my 110 folders, everything pre date code seems to be more squared.

Does a laser-cut blade blank have rounded corners?

Good question. I don't have any idea which blades are cut using that method. I doubt it though as I now doubt that it's caused by the blanking process. I suspect that it's a result of processes (as SD just mentioned) performed on the blade after blanking.

The fine blanking method at least, appears to be designed to prevent that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Here is the bottom line: as long as Buck makes good products, I will continue to buy them and support the company, and so will others.

There's supporting a company you like and there's finding fault in a returning customers experience, regardless of what was said.

I had issues with the particular product model, not the company. The company has been excellent to deal with and I will always pass that one, but I didn't like the knife for obvious reasons.

Choosing words like "buck bashing" doesn't accurately describe the thread, it describes how you feel about something that you can't comprehend as you have a biased opinion on the whole subject.

Now, back to the current topic..

I would buy a 'heavy duty' Buck 110 and give it a try! I like the heavy weight of the current model as it is, nice and chunky so you know it's in your pocket/on your belt (how many of you have lost light weight knvies ebcause you forgot they were/n't in your pocket?)!

Chunkier blade too? and made from different steel perhaps?

Plumber, that diagramis great stuff! cheers for that.

So David, Buck has switched from fine blanking their production line blades to laser cutting? When did that take place? I recall a thread a spell back, where a Buck employee (Caleb) noted that they did some blades using the laser but they were low production number items that it was used for.

Post #2

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/987310-Forming-blades-shapes-at-Buck

They are and have been utilizing this method for years. I'm unsure if it's done on all steels or just the higher end steels. Nor, can I for sure say they've done away with one method in favor of the other. Still, I saw it being done. DM

Dosen't answer my question. How and why did you pay for the return shipping? Did Buck ask for payment or did you just assume that they would and send it in with the knife? Secondly, every knife or knives I've had shipped back to be free of charge has been shipped UPS which has an automatic $100 worth of insurance covering each shipment.

Of course, this is exactly my point and this answer is being avoided. On the knives I've sent to Buck return shipping to me has been paid by Buck. I even told them I wanted to pay for return shipping and included it. Not wanting to whine about this small amount as they had done me a good job. Then upon receiving them, inside the package was a check made out to me to cover this over payment. It was signed by Chuck Buck. I never cashed it, instead just kept it, thus I can produce a copy of it as example as verification for our discussion here. DM

At about 0.48 in this video he states it's done by laser cutting.
[video=youtube;ey_ZdF1PwbY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey_ZdF1PwbY[/video]

Back