Busses and Whisky

Little shocking surprise for me recently. I'm on week 2 after getting my ass totally kicked by the Rona and learned something devastating. So we've all heard how taste/smell gets screwed up and boy does it. On Saturday, one of my best days yet, I decided to try a small pour since my sniffer and licker were coming back. A little Glenmorangie 10, I had a taste and almost tossed my cookies. It was pure vinegar and silicone tub sealant - that's seriously what it reminded me of. I'm worried, seriously worried. So far this is the most devastating results that I hope pass soon.

If anyone else has had the misfortune I'm curious how long this will last otherwise, my drinking is over....:oops:
I had the virus near the end of July, total loss of smell/taste. Probably took 6 or so weeks before it started to return. It was a gradual return when it did start coming back, then maybe 3-4 weeks ago I started randomly noticing a sweet putrid smell occasionally, which got worse for a while. It is like the smell of clove but mixed with the sickening smell of meat decaying. I noticed that I only smell it when I'm running water, which is really strange, and my sense of taste is mostly gone again.

The only thing that comes up while internet sleuthing is a condition called "Parosmia" which seems to fit with what i am experiencing. And it seems a number of people are going through it.
Luckily for me the liquor still tastes fine 😆 🤷‍♂️
But pouring a glass of water or turning on the shower is gut wrenching at first

Wow, sounds like I've been lucky so far. My smell has been coming back, unfortunately too well, in some cases. Everything is a mess and out of natural order. The only thing that's normal are potatoes and sugary things. Other night I had cream cheese cake frosting on graham crackers, spot on!
But I have a slight improvement - I pulled the cork on a bottle of Talisker Storm just a while and it smelled like whiskey! YAY! That's a HUGE improvement. No tasting yet, don't want to push it but no vinegar/silicone at all!
Meat, so far, meat tastes like used tires.

Sorry to hear bud!
...but...
(in my own experience/bubble}
you just weren't drinking enough whiskey as a prevenative measure against the virus!
shouldv'e switched to cask strength stuff just to make sure that you kill the virus in the bud!

It sure has worked for me!
I've only lost probably about 3 full working days in the 4 months of Delta outbreak lockdown...

Good news! My sisters came for a visit and we did Turkey day together - Drank some Scotch last night and HELL YEA! I'm BACK! I started off in the afternoon with some sweeter than I like blackberry wine, pretty good. Then some super dry red (my go-to) so I think that broke the seal got things calibrated well enough to push forward.
Now here's the crazy thing that may end up being a positive - I'm picking up flavors and smells on an EXTREME level now. I was able to extract WAY more from a glass than ever before. I'll also add that I recently quit smoking so my senses are bionic! I can smell Scotch in a glass from 20 feet away. This is a completely new experience. So far I seem to have a Super Sniffer - Super Licker 🤯

You may have been on to something elof... gotta push through! and I broke on through to the other side!

Me too! Sucks for anyone who doesn't live near Cedar Point, don't know what you're missing!
Yeah, been a ride and a half. First day back at work and out of gas in 4 hours but it was a start. Found out one of our other stores is wiped out, half the people down with the china virus so certainly hitting home.
Tell ya this much, China Virus aint for sissies, she's a royal bitch for some, a box for some and a sniffle for the rest. Talk about a box of chocolates.

Got myself a very fancy whiskey glass!
BMmeQ7F.jpg

Little shocking surprise for me recently. I'm on week 2 after getting my ass totally kicked by the Rona and learned something devastating. So we've all heard how taste/smell gets screwed up and boy does it. On Saturday, one of my best days yet, I decided to try a small pour since my sniffer and licker were coming back. A little Glenmorangie 10, I had a taste and almost tossed my cookies. It was pure vinegar and silicone tub sealant - that's seriously what it reminded me of. I'm worried, seriously worried. So far this is the most devastating results that I hope pass soon.

If anyone else has had the misfortune I'm curious how long this will last otherwise, my drinking is over....:oops:
Dude I really hope that recovers!!

Edit:
Ok... Read more recent posts. Glad to hear your bionic senses are treating you well!

Got myself a very fancy whiskey glass!
BMmeQ7F.jpg

Be careful with those, I set one of them down too hard and it shattered in my hand

Dude what a roller coaster 😄
Speaking of roller coaster - we need to plan for our sharing with our Busse friends. Not only as a warning but as an educational piece 🤣😂🤣
Got to work it out when we can both drink while NOT working and not with morning coffee, might be tough.
But boy, do we have a story and not even sure where to begin :D

Speaking of roller coaster - we need to plan for our sharing with our Busse friends. Not only as a warning but as an educational piece 🤣😂🤣
Got to work it out when we can both drink while NOT working and not with morning coffee, might be tough.
But boy, do we have a story and not even sure where to begin :D

We can definitely come up with a plan. I can't promise it will be a good one, but at least we will have a plan :) :cool:

Just saying, my local Costco has Talisker Storm for 37.99 a bottle when everyone else has it at 79.99. It's my favorite Scotch so I'm pretty happy about this turn of events.

Back