Camillus and Schrade of Old Given Short Shrift Now-A-Days

G GusSharp68 in short, Imperial-Schrade in Ellenville NY closed due to bankruptcy in 2004. The rights to their name and designs was bought from the bankruptcy court by Taylors. The Schrades of today are not made by the same company, they are off-shore manufactured and look similar, but the construction is of normal design - doesn’t use the Swindon Key method. Different steels and different synthetic handles too. OH

G GusSharp68 in short, Imperial-Schrade in Ellenville NY closed due to bankruptcy in 2004. The rights to their name and designs was bought from the bankruptcy court by Taylors. The Schrades of today are not made by the same company, they are off-shore manufactured and look similar, but the construction is of normal design - doesn’t use the Swindon Key method. Different steels and different synthetic handles too. OH
Thank you.

Schrade went bankrupt in the summer of 2004. Stewart Taylor bought all the trademarks. Camillus and Utica got some tooling. SMKW bought most of the stuff, knives, parts, etc. Stewart Taylor started having knives made by Camillus, Utica, Bear and Son and a tiny few by Great Eastern. And, of course the bulk of them were immediately made in China. The aforementioned U.S. made "Schrades" did not last long. 2004 is generally acknowledged as the end of collectible Schrades by the cognoscenti. There is a new company out there now which makes some kind of Schrades which is a total grey area to my knowledge. No interest here.
That fills in a lot of gaps for me, thank you too!

Saturday morning, good day for a Premium Stockman in the pocket. Craftsman 9470 (Schrade 881). OH

Craftsman_9470_Premium_Stockman_(Schrade_881).jpg

I see a lot of talk about the posting of Images Cal, I posted some on my Marbles Knife Thread, how come you can't matey?

In the period I am familiar with, 2007 to maybe about 2015, for instance, I could see at least dozens if not hundreds of Schrades posted on Ebay per day. Right now sometimes hours go by without even one. Of course the Chicoms are increasing. I shall post a knife, an 881 open stock in nice Delrin® plastic. The company, the cutlers, the steel makers and the plastic makers all paid U.S. taxes.

View attachment 2538690View attachment 2538691

Back