1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Can I trust Benchmade?

Discussion in 'Benchmade Knife Company' started by Yo Mama, May 22, 2019.

1. fly36gti

fly36gti

May 28, 2016
    True that.

What method you use to sharpen a folder? Power or manual?

2. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    Im curious about this "New Benchmade" and how it is different from Benchmade?

Yo Mama likes this.
  3. John_0917

John_0917 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2014
    I feel like Benchmade sorely needs to learn about Six Sigma/Lean manufacturing because their rate of error in production is unreal, and that’s just the stuff that makes it out!

It’s bad enough when you have frequent QC problems on $120 knives, but when it’s on $300 and even $700 knives (see for example the SMKW 940 and gold class Bugout problems) that’s just indefensible.

cbrstar, din, mdrgn79 and 1 other person like this.
  4. mrfields

mrfields

Jun 30, 2017
    i hadn’t heard of any issues on either of these two knives. what were the problems?

5. Darkera

Darkera

Oct 22, 2016
    I don't disagree (although I don't know the examples you cite), however I recently bought a Spyderco Ikuchi and they can give you a nasty cut when closed. A protruding tip, especially a needle-like one, is a huge design flaw, so is the flipper that slices your finger. Not to mention the Paysan issues, which is their most expensive model to date I believe.

My point being I don't hear people crying that the sky is falling or rhetorically asking if they can trust Spyderco or not. I'm not defending Benchmade on all counts but I do find that the Benchmade fans seem to be a noisy bunch.

.577NE likes this.
  6. John_0917

John_0917 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2014
    So the SMKW dealer exclusive was a CF 940-1 with I believe a 20CV blade, there were numerous reports of overall terrible grinds and other QC issues, the knife was like $320, I could be mistaken on the dealer but it was the red and black 940 with the CF scales and coated blade.

The gold class 535 from last year was uncommon to see but there is at least one report of bad tolerances/blade play, I personally handled one at a well know brick and mortar dealer and it had both a bad grind and blade play, not OK for a knife that costs $620...

7. Knicked Digits

Knicked Digits

Dec 24, 2016
    I’ll be the first to admit that I’m a Benchmade fan, but things like these QC and tolerance issues on their most expensive models and exclusives does warrant a “wtf?” at the very least. I don’t know about this slew of post and threads about Benchmade’s validity though, that’s more of a trend that’s following on the heels of the recent group of Benchmade’s controversies. Spyderco may not be seeing such a backlash because of the multiple price ranges and materials one can get in lower ranges. Lower prices seems to make qc issues easier to swallow.

mdrgn79 likes this.
  8. aztaco

aztaco

Jun 13, 2011
    Posted on communist China electronics running an os from a company that actively works against your privacy, 2a and other rights like google., Microsoft, and apple. Thats why I just laughed at this post.

Benchmade has always been good to me. Great products made in USA that they stand behind. Do your thing. I'll do mine. I trust them.

mylest likes this.
  9. fly36gti

fly36gti

May 28, 2016
    Be careful they will 'attempt' to block your number! No joke.
    What happened to the old Benchmade ??

10. Icky Thump

Icky Thump Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Apparently, a long time well know/respected BM collector was red flagged by BM for private sales posted on FB and other private sites for selling knives at well below MAP.

Private collector. Private sales.

Or something like that.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  11. 357snubnose

357snubnose Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2013
    What do you mean by red flagged? How can they stop someone from selling their private collection?

12. Icky Thump

Dec 8, 2011
    Yea, red flagged..might not be the best description..just hearing this myself.

Might be easier to read what I've read. A link to a thread w/ some unrelated subjuct..but its there if you read through..

will be through my registered account..I couldn't care less..left the brand over The Great Gun Chop, 2A/Donations and Crisis Management Fail , debacle..

https://www.benchmadeforum.com/topic/just-thinking-about-what-s-on-my-mind?page=212

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    mdrgn79 and 357snubnose like this.
  13. 357snubnose

Jul 1, 2013
    Yikes. These guys can't stop crapping their own pants.

14. Icky Thump

Dec 8, 2011
    Pure entertainment for me at this point.

The Shit Show, continues..

15. Abyss_Fish

Abyss_Fish

Mar 14, 2019
    I’m really not understanding ANY of the hate towards Benchmade. I’ve bought three of their knives now (valet shinola exclusive, 200 puukko, 555-1 mini grip) as well as their exotac crossover ferro rod and had almost no trouble at all. Even when I screw up myself I just call them up and they solve my problem every time. Super friendly customer service, super useful, fantastic quality. Also my 200 puukko (which is in 3v) has no problems. I can (and have) carve all day with it and it still smoothly pops hairs at the end of all that abuse.

And about the guns come on guys. Helping the police get rid of illegal firearms. Really?

mylest likes this.
  16. soc_monki

soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019
    They cut up guns. That's all some people see. Not the fact they were used in crimes, and were being disposed of. I don't know about you but if I had a choice to buy a gun and I could get one at a steep discount because it was used to kill someone, I'd pass and pay full price because I don't want to have something like that associated with something I own. Sure, the gun didn't actually do anything, it was the person pulling the trigger. But still... Just my feelings on the matter.

I don't own any benchmades, and probably won't. Just don't have any feelings for their products, but I won't talk down to anyone who likes them. That's why we have variety!

Abyss_Fish likes this.
  17. GronK

GronK Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2001
    To each his own, I guess. I picked up a Ruger 357 cheap when word got out that it had been used in a murder/suicide. When my gun nut friends freaked out over it I took decisive action. I carved two notches in the grips. :eek:

357snubnose likes this.
  18. Abyss_Fish

Abyss_Fish

Mar 14, 2019
    I’m sorry is that a measured and reasonable response respecting both your viewpoint as well as others? That’s not allowed.

19. 357snubnose

Jul 1, 2013
    LOL. Awesome.

20. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    4 pages of responses to this troll. What a waste of time.--KV