Can't search

Well i cant use the search funtion anymore it listes two reasons is says i dont have the previleges... i was using it yesterdays. is there any reason why this is happening?

EDIT: it says;
!Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

!If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

...From Spark's new announcement stickied to the top of every Forum page...

"We're experiencing server slowdowns lately, so I'm limiting the most CPU intensive part of the forums, searching, to those that have a paying membership here. This is a temporary measure until I can pursue some alternatives.

Questions? Comments? Go to Service & Support."

well i hope its fixed soon... untill then i am not going use this forum as much only to check if its fixed and a miner question.:grumpy:

Use google search until it is fixed. Google allows you to search for results from only the site you specify (can't remember the syntax for it now though)

well the google thing works great for looking stuff up but how do i look up my past postes and threads??

I fully understand why sparc had to do this. Searching is indeed one of the heavyest tasks on a server with a forum, certainly when it is as huge as bladeforums.com.
But this doesn't have to mean that you have to go elsewere for this reason. (Haven't got a clue where to go to by te way) Becoming a paid member would be the best solution to solve this problem, but I don't use this forum enough to consider becoming a paid member myself. (This can change soon offcourse.)

So for the other people who haven't got a paid membership(jet), or for the times when the searchfunction of the forum itself goes down, like blackviper91 said, there is an other way of searching thru bladeforums that doesn't slowdown the servers:

Use google.com to search with the following parameters:
"search" site:http://www.bladeforums.com/forums inurl:showthread

where you offcourse replace "search" with the words you were looking for.

note to admins: If you don't appreciate it when I link to another search engine because it is against forum rules or for whatever other reason, I would understand and am sorry. Feel free to remove this post if that would be te case.

ya now i cant see if anyone has replied to my question without searching for the whole thread everytime:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::thumbdn:

Click on "thread tools" at the top of the page and subscribe to the thread. You can also set your options to automatically subscribe to every thread you post in, at your User Control Panel.

well i hope its fixed soon... untill then i am not going use this forum as much only to check if its fixed and a miner question.:grumpy:

:confused:

I would normally say, "Purchase a Gold or Platinum membership." Hell, you're too friggin' cheap to kick out $10 for a "Basic membership," but bitch how the search function moons aren't aligned and revolving around your little world. :rolleyes:

Well you got me, I am now willing to pay, like Gig-One said, it's only ten freakin bucks and i feel like i have gotton way more than that out of these forums. I know it wasn't sparks intent to piss off non-payers and get them to pay, but I guess I needed that extra kick in the pants. So how long unitl my membership upgrades?

P.S. this is the first time i have ever givin money to any website (other than buying stuff) but i feel its well worth it.

let me answer my own question: membership takes effect immediately.

sorry for taking this OT, im horriable about that.

awww... You cant expect a teen to fork over 10 bucks. Every dollar matters!
This forum is brimming with info I haven't even seen and now its going to be a pain. I know about the google thing but you cant specify specifics like the word edge in the makers forum, you cant check peoples posts and its hard to find info that i cant remember.

let me answer my own question: membership takes effect immediately.

sorry for taking this OT, im horriable about that.

I wanted to pay - but it does not work for me - even though my account is in US bank :-(

Nick-nack: yeah, it sux (actually worse than that; since you're in Oz you'd have to pay more than $10). When we can get some money together we'll get some new hardware and then we'll be able to restore search for everybody, but getting enough money together is likely to take a while. :grumpy:

David1967: Start a new thread. Spark can probably help you.

The search function has never worked well any way...no loss.

I can't help but wonder why they continue to let the Busse ganza thing go on when it seems to cause problems. It's not like Busse doesn't have his own site....

The search function has never worked well any way...no loss.

I can't help but wonder why they continue to let the Busse ganza thing go on when it seems to cause problems. It's not like Busse doesn't have his own site....

If you have a problem searching, see this Sticky: Search Engine FAQs & Tips By Quiet Storm.

The Busse guys here are an extremely large. active, loyal group, many of whom do support the forums. Is it the ganza that caused the problem? Spark shut off the search for Registered Users, and got a good increase in performance, not the ganza for the Busse forum, so I doubt it was that.

Back