"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

If you expose children to sugars, and even worse, artificial sweetener in drinks, food, everything then they get addicted to the stuff. Once they are adults, it's not only really difficult to break the habit but obesity and other premature ageing have already set in.

Most foods in themselves are not harmful, but processed industrial food that's made to LOOK attractive is the real culprit and this idea of constant snacking is also disastrous to health and vitality.

To keep my sugar count down, I knocked off sodas years ago.

I went on the Winston Churchill diet; as many alcoholic beverages a day as possible and still reman semi functional. The old bull dog made it to 91. :thumbsup:
And smoked cigars all day!

LOL! Sounds good to me Carl! :D There are more old drunks than there are old doctors after all ;) :thumbsup:

Jack, I actually do have that from the horses mouth. My old doc that was my primary care doctor under the health plan I had at work, had a poster of that. It was on the back of the examining room door, and when he closed the door for an exam or consolation with his patient, you could see the poster of an old drunk in the gutter. That caption was "There's more old drunks than old doctors"

The doctor gave me the advise that if I'm going to drink, to stay with good quality grain alcohol like vodka or other good whiskey and leave the wine and beer alone. Advise that I've been very happy to follow. A Bloody Mary or whisky toddy with breakfast is a very nice way to start the day. :thumbsup::)

A cocktail with dinner never hurt anything either. :D

Depends on the wine you drink ;)

The Wino variety, perhaps not:eek::D

Just think of William Hogarth's famous engravings Beer Street and Gin Lane :D There's spirits and spirits......

si-303179.jpg_maxdim-1000_resize-yes.jpg

I read a while ago that our fighter pilots must take speed when taking off and downers when they come down, if they want to fly and get promoted. Called speed-balling in non-patriotic circles. Obviously can't be true.

It is called "speed balling" and it is what killed John Belushi.
It is not done by fighter jocks. Ever.

Jack, I actually do have that from the horses mouth. My old doc that was my primary care doctor under the health plan I had at work, had a poster of that. It was on the back of the examining room door, and when he closed the door for an exam or consolation with his patient, you could see the poster of an old drunk in the gutter. That caption was "There's more old drunks than old doctors"

The doctor gave me the advise that if I'm going to drink, to stay with good quality grain alcohol like vodka or other good whiskey and leave the wine and beer alone. Advise that I've been very happy to follow. A Bloody Mary or whisky toddy with breakfast is a very nice way to start the day. :thumbsup::)

A cocktail with dinner never hurt anything either. :D

Nice to find a doc with a sense of humour, and good real-life advice Carl :) :D :thumbsup:

Thirty-four years ago today I woke up both excited and terrified. Excited because I was about to marry a young lady I just didn't want to live without. Terrified because I was about to marry a young lady I just didn't want to live without. One I wanted to grow old with. One I want to live and experience life and its adventures with. One I trusted and loved more than anyone else in the world. One I considered a gift from GOD. I recall thirty-four years ago today praying to thank GOD for his wonderful gift of allowing me to marry that young lady and praying I wouldn't screw this marriage up. I knew the wedding was but one day but the marriage would be decades. Thirty-four years ago two young twenty-three year old lovers and friends vowed we'd be one as long as both of us were alive. It's been thirty-four years of adventure, excitement, joy, and heartbreak. It's been everything GOD promised us. It's been the very best thing that has ever happened to me. I truly love my wife. She's my lover and friend, my champion and critic, my confidant and trusted agent, my heart and soul. She's tough. She's soft. She's driven. She's peaceable. She's generous. A gift I've truly never deserved. Happy anniversary, Charlie. I love you and will love you until my dying day.

That language quiz was kind of neat. First time I took it I ggo Indianapolis and Springfield. Took it a second time with different questions and it more closely pegged me for Augusta, GA and Nashville, TN.

Here in VA and TN, people just know that I "ain't from round here".

My dad was from Ohio and my mom was an air Force brat who mostly grew up in California and England. We also lived next to an AFB in SC and I went to school with the base kids. I think I picked up bits of several regional dialects.

My wife has a similar pedigree and she can pass for upper Midwest, even a bit yooper.

Altenator went out on my car and left me stranded this morning. :poop::eek: My son came to the rescue again and fixed it I hate car trouble it frustrates me to no end. My car is 16 years old so I guess it's time for stuff to happen and it's been a really good car so maybe this will be the last trouble I'll have for awhile sorry for the negative post but had to vent somewhere. :D

Sorry to hear that, Randy. I've been fighting off and on with my own 16 year old car for the past couple years. When obvious stuff breaks, it doesn't really bother me because it's easy enough to fix. When I started having electrical issues, it frustrated me to no end. I wound up spending three times as much money replacing things that weren't the problem before I tracked down what I hope was the actual issue. I haven't had too many problems in the last 3-4 months, so fingers crossed!

:) just an update, made it through the storm with relatively minor damage. Went south of me. But we're not outta the woods yet as we're expecting record flooding. Thanks to everyone for thoughts and prayers. First time I've had enough connection for internet. But was able to keep family updated through texts.:thumbsup:

Back