"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Remember the rat dragging the piece of pizza down the steps video in nyc a few years back?
Got this not so good picture of a seagull eating a piece of pizza near downtown Syracuse, earlier this afternoon. I wonder where he snagged the pizza?
FVnAkUd.jpg

I've finally got to where I can start to buy a few knives and begin rebuilding my collection. This makes me very happy :D and for awhile I'm going to concentrate on the beloved Barlows. Some of these were gifts from members and rhe TC I won in a GAW. Anyway here's what I have and very proud to own them and I think it's a good start. :thumbsup:
First row left to right
1. 2017 TC Sheepsfoot on a 15 frame
2. and 3. S&M
4. 1974 Case razor
5. 1975 Case
Middle Rough Rider mini-barlow
Second row
1. 1975 100 year Russel commemorative Barlow
2. 60's Colonial covered in stag from @glennbad
3. USA made Remington
4. Old Colonial
5. Lionsteel Shuffler

J8HocBJ.jpg

Nice Barlow collection, Randy!! If you are going to collect, Barlows are a good choice!!

Remember the rat dragging the piece of pizza down the steps video in nyc a few years back?
Got this not so good picture of a seagull eating a piece of pizza near downtown Syracuse, earlier this afternoon. I wonder where he snagged the pizza?
FVnAkUd.jpg
Once watched two huge catfish eat a piece of pizza drift by in the current I was fishing, guess I should have baited with pizza!

I've finally got to where I can start to buy a few knives and begin rebuilding my collection. This makes me very happy :D and for awhile I'm going to concentrate on the beloved Barlows. Some of these were gifts from members and rhe TC I won in a GAW. Anyway here's what I have and very proud to own them and I think it's a good start. :thumbsup:
First row left to right
1. 2017 TC Sheepsfoot on a 15 frame
2. and 3. S&M
4. 1974 Case razor
5. 1975 Case
Middle Rough Rider mini-barlow
Second row
1. 1975 100 year Russel commemorative Barlow
2. 60's Colonial covered in stag from @glennbad
3. USA made Remington
4. Old Colonial
5. Lionsteel Shuffler

J8HocBJ.jpg
Randy! Glad to see you rebuilding your collection! I bought a group of your Barlows. I have been blessed by a friend recently and would like to pay it forward and send your Barlows back to you.
Pm me your address please.:thumbsup:
Thank you friend!

Over two days without a post in the Lounge?o_O

Deer and turkey hunting season opened last weekend here in MO. Unfortunately it was ridiculously hot for this time of year. Looks like we'll get a break from the heat starting this weekend though. Looking forward to spending some much needed time out in the woods over the next few months.

Been using this Barnett crossbow for the last couple years after they made them a legal method for everyone. It's nothing fancy, but has done the job with no issues.

Deer and turkey hunting season opened last weekend here in MO. Unfortunately it was ridiculously hot for this time of year. Looks like we'll get a break from the heat starting this weekend though. Looking forward to spending some much needed time out in the woods over the next few months.

Been using this Barnett crossbow for the last couple years after they made them a legal method for everyone. It's nothing fancy, but has done the job with no issues.
I dunno ... That crossbow looks kinda "fancy" to me ... like all good deer and turkey medicine should. :)

I hope you fill your tags this year. :)

Here's another bit of Porch generosity. Yesterday, I received a package in the mail all the way from Paris. Along with some books for my daughter, a nice t-shirt and several other great items, Jolipapa Jolipapa sent me a blue-handled pocketknife stamped Parapluie à l'épreuve. He referred to the pattern as an "Arc"; I think you might also call it a Humpback pattern. Hopefully he can provide a little more info on the knife, but I'll say that the spearpoint blade is nice and slim, much like the Issard pen knife (also a gift from Jolipapa) I shared recently, but the handle is much fuller and fits in the hand nicely. Jolipapa Jolipapa , thank you so much for these excellent gifts! :thumbsup:

tkHwVlH.jpg

Here's another bit of Porch generosity. Yesterday, I received a package in the mail all the way from Paris. Along with some books for my daughter, a nice t-shirt and several other great items, Jolipapa Jolipapa sent me a blue-handled pocketknife stamped Parapluie à l'épreuve. He referred to the pattern as an "Arc"; I think you might also call it a Humpback pattern. Hopefully he can provide a little more info on the knife, but I'll say that the spearpoint blade is nice and slim, much like the Issard pen knife (also a gift from Jolipapa) I shared recently, but the handle is much fuller and fits in the hand nicely. Jolipapa Jolipapa , thank you so much for these excellent gifts! :thumbsup:

tkHwVlH.jpg
Jolipapa Jolipapa est un trés bon ami, n'est çe pas?

I've owned a few of their crossbows in the past, but they're only legal for target shooting here, not hunting :thumbsup:

tkHwVlH.jpg

Fantastic package there Barrett :) Well done JP :) :thumbsup:

Ah, thanks for reminding me I have to get my turkey tag. Though I think I'll stick with my shotgun for the nonce.

... He referred to the pattern as an "Arc"; I think you might also call it a Humpback pattern. Hopefully he can provide a little more info on the knife, but I'll say that the spearpoint blade is nice and slim, much like the Issard pen knife (also a gift from Jolipapa) I shared recently, but the handle is much fuller and fits in the hand nicely... :thumbsup:

tkHwVlH.jpg
An Arc is a Bow, an old pattern now no more in production. It's amazing to see that the same object can be seen from different point of view, as Barrett pointed rightly, in the US it is a Humpback!
There's a little story behind this knife. My friend Bernard warned me that the Vieilles Lames (Old Blades) association had rescued the last Arcs built by Thérias (of which Parapluie is -better say was- a subsidiary) from the junk yard. Knives were assembled but left unfinished for an undefined time in a corner until they needed the place. All had blue cell handles. I think the blade is stainless but did not try mine yet and should be a good slicer. The motto Parapluie à l'épreuve is an old trademark and was adopted because then a knife was the best protection against thieves.
The two little (!) books have for subject "I eat" and "I get dressed", no doubt little Eleanor will understand without reading. And when she's fed up with, Barrett , they can prove unvaluable to stall a shaky piece of furniture :D.
I hope the tee will fit , I decide to choose size XL as it was specified : Europe XL / US L !;)

Last edited:
Putting an edge on a '70s Case Eisenhower that has never meet a sharpening stone. I hate profiling and sharpening new blades. Always takes me a while to get a blade where I want it. I'm just trying to get something passable this morning.

I just have to share my excitement with my friends here on the porch, who I know will understand. I have just been placed in charge of knife purchasing for the farm store where I work! (I am not mentioning store name or location, since we are obviously not a BF member dealer. This is in no way an attempt to drum up business, just sharing exciting news. Mods, I hope that is ok. If not, please feel free to delete.)

When I started working at the store part time in January, the knife case was a mixture of Case, Frost, and Steel Warrior. The display was not in a very prominent place, nor were the knives displayed very well, and everything was priced at MSRP. Understandably, sales were very infrequent. I didn’t say anything at first, because nobody likes “that new guy,” who comes in and has a better idea for everything. After a few months, though, I mentioned to my manager that I was a knife knut, and that I had some ideas to improve knife sales, if she ever wanted to hear them. She said she’d be glad to listen, so I told her that I thought we could improve the location and quality of the display, and tweak our selection to better suit our customers’ preferences. I also said that we needed to cut our margins on Case. I explained that a lot of folks prefer to buy Case knives in person, as opposed to buying them for the lowest possible price online, and that we can still make money while being more competitive. She said she would think it all over and get back to me.

Well, I was recently blessed to be promoted to the position of Assistant Manager, and yesterday she brought me an order sheet from our knife distributor and told me to make it happen.

I learned a lot of the information that I will use in this role right here on the porch, so a big thank you to everyone! I am really looking forward to seeing what I can do. Now, to teach all the other employees not to display folders with two blades partially open on the same spring…

Back