"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I've thinned the knife herd and have a few more to get rid of, those that don't have any sentimental attachment or don't get carried often have to go. The knife collection is down under 20 pieces again, right where I like it. After trying out a ton of different knives I've settled on a few patterns that I simply love to carry and use. The collecting phase is over for me and I'll just wait to see if any cool knives pop up in the Exchange, but only in my favorite patterns. Buying new is over until GEC comes out with stuff I just have to have. I even deleted eBay from my favorites. It's kind of a freeing experience. I'm just tired of buying knives because I think they look cool and end up not liking them and selling them, usually at a small loss. I did this once before but I hope it sticks this time. My name is John and I'm addicted to knives...

BTW, my favorite patterns are single blades either in clip blade, lambsfoot, or sheepsfoot. Handles in the 3" to 3-1/2" range. So I like the Wrights Lambsfoot, , Case Wharncliffe Mini Trapper, and the GEC 25s, 14s, and 15s. I'm still on the hunt for a GEC 55/65 with a single clip blade or Wharncliffe.

I've thinned the knife herd and have a few more to get rid of, those that don't have any sentimental attachment or don't get carried often have to go. The knife collection is down under 20 pieces again, right where I like it. After trying out a ton of different knives I've settled on a few patterns that I simply love to carry and use. The collecting phase is over for me and I'll just wait to see if any cool knives pop up in the Exchange, but only in my favorite patterns. Buying new is over until GEC comes out with stuff I just have to have. I even deleted eBay from my favorites. It's kind of a freeing experience. I'm just tired of buying knives because I think they look cool and end up not liking them and selling them, usually at a small loss. I did this once before but I hope it sticks this time. My name is John and I'm addicted to knives...

BTW, my favorite patterns are single blades either in clip blade, lambsfoot, or sheepsfoot. Handles in the 3" to 3-1/2" range. So I like the Wrights Lambsfoot, , Case Wharncliffe Mini Trapper, and the GEC 25s, 14s, and 15s. I'm still on the hunt for a GEC 55/65 with a single clip blade or Wharncliffe.

Wish I'd have known you were looking for a clip 56. I just sold a two-blade clip 56 on the exchange this past weekend. It is a nice size and feels good in hand, but I just found myself going to my other knives more often (i.e. lambsfoots!)

Wish I'd have known you were looking for a clip 56. I just sold a two-blade clip 56 on the exchange this past weekend. It is a nice size and feels good in hand, but I just found myself going to my other knives more often (i.e. lambsfoots!)
I'm only looking for a single blade, so it'll have to be a 55 or a 56 with a blade deleted. I'm hoping they will run a 56 with a single clip blade some day. :thumbsup:

Man I wish I was disciplined enough to quit buying knifes. A little over a year ago I sold almost everything only had a handful which is more than I need. It'e now close to 200 with more coming. :eek::eek: I don't know why I keep buying knives when I need to sell off the ones I have.

Man I wish I was disciplined enough to quit buying knifes. A little over a year ago I sold almost everything only had a handful which is more than I need. It'e now close to 200 with more coming. :eek::eek: I don't know why I keep buying knives when I need to sell off the ones I have.
200? Impressive number.
I love buying new knives, it's like Christmas every time I open a new box. But when the pile starts to get big, and I'm not carrying over half of them, I start feeling guilty. I have about 10 knives that mean a lot to me and those are stuck away in the safe. Then I have about 10 knives that I really enjoy carrying and using, those sit in my "user" drawer and I rotate through them. It keeps me happy enough. I'm sure I'll buy more and sell more as the days and years tick on, but I think if I can keep the number to about 20 knives I can live with that.

JohnDF JohnDF I stopped buying a while ago (well, still seem to end up buying about one a year now - last year was the Buck forum knife), but I can't seem to get up the motivation to start the selling process. Much easier to click "buy" than to take photos, make forum posts, deal with buyer questions and questionable buyers, pack up and ship.

And yet - I still browse for new knives that I want to buy. I never buy, but there are times when I almost succumb.

JohnDF JohnDF I stopped buying a while ago (well, still seem to end up buying about one a year now - last year was the Buck forum knife), but I can't seem to get up the motivation to start the selling process. Much easier to click "buy" than to take photos, make forum posts, deal with buyer questions and questionable buyers, pack up and ship.

And yet - I still browse for new knives that I want to buy. I never buy, but there are times when I almost succumb.
I think that's the direction I'm headed in too. I hate selling stuff and always sell too cheap anyways. But I'd rather have a quick sale and not have to worry if the buyer is going to be unhappy. I still have three more Case knives that I want to get rid of and they will probably go super cheap because nobody is willing to spend any money on them. I can at least come close to the purchase price on a GEC when I sell it without much delay, but the Case knives I have to practically give away. Probably won't be buying any more of those.

I think that's the direction I'm headed in too. I hate selling stuff and always sell too cheap anyways. But I'd rather have a quick sale and not have to worry if the buyer is going to be unhappy. I still have three more Case knives that I want to get rid of and they will probably go super cheap because nobody is willing to spend any money on them. I can at least come close to the purchase price on a GEC when I sell it without much delay, but the Case knives I have to practically give away. Probably won't be buying any more of those.

You always have great prices. I hope it comes back to your favor in some ways.

200? Impressive number.
I love buying new knives, it's like Christmas every time I open a new box. But when the pile starts to get big, and I'm not carrying over half of them, I start feeling guilty. I have about 10 knives that mean a lot to me and those are stuck away in the safe. Then I have about 10 knives that I really enjoy carrying and using, those sit in my "user" drawer and I rotate through them. It keeps me happy enough. I'm sure I'll buy more and sell more as the days and years tick on, but I think if I can keep the number to about 20 knives I can live with that.

I can only rationalize my knife gathering if I use them. No safe queens at all. Everything at least gets tried out even if it's only dress carry and never makes it past opening Christmas presents. Having said that, you pretty much sum it up for me JohnDF JohnDF though my numbers are more like 10 kept in rotation.
Even maintaining that few is a challenge. I see news ones every day that call me by name. :rolleyes: AND - I have a custom on the bench and another being discussed. I'm hopeless.:confused:

Smiling nonetheless :D, Ray

12-Civ.-05541-Bag-Closure-Image-300x128.jpg

I prefer these bread closures.

Mine comes in a brown paper bag ;) :thumbsup:

200? Impressive number.

I can relate to that John :thumbsup: And I wish I could get mine down to anything like 200 :rolleyes:

I buy less than I used to, but do still keep on buying knives. I never sell anything, and it's really just laziness :rolleyes:

Generally, I prefer trades to selling. So, it's back to square one in reducing the mountain :eek::D:D

I think if I were based in the USA it might be easier, but interest in knife selling in Europe seems smaller, sending to the US from here is costly and getting it tracked costs the earth:( However, never had any problems so far but I'd only like to sell to somebody I 'knew' about . :)

Generally, I prefer trades to selling. So, it's back to square one in reducing the mountain :eek::D:D

I think if I were based in the USA it might be easier, but interest in knife selling in Europe seems smaller, sending to the US from here is costly and getting it tracked costs the earth:( However, never had any problems so far but I'd only like to sell to somebody I 'knew' about . :)

Yes, I can relate to that Will, but I do seem to have a real aversion to selling in general, and while I give a lot of things away, I find it hard to throw things out. As a result of being a professional outdoor gear reviewer for some years, I have loads of mountaineering gear that I don't use, but I can never get round to selling any of it. I did once send a pair of climbing crampons to a member! :D :thumbsup:

Looks like it could be time for one of those Car Boot sales eh Jack?
Only problem is, you can come back with more than you set out with...:eek::D

Looks like it could be time for one of those Car Boot sales eh Jack?
Only problem is, you can come back with more than you set out with...:eek::D

Yeah, unless you've just got a load of absolute junk to shift, they don't look like they're worth the effort. I barely even go to them anymore Will, I think they have probably been supplanted by online markets, which I don't bother with either :thumbsup:

That is some sad news John . If I had a bugle , and if I could play it , I would just play Taps . I wish you luck in kicking the habit my friend .

Harry

Back