"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I stopped by the local antique mall today. They didn't have any pocket knives worth what they ask for them, but I did pick up a few old dental tools. They were marked "dental tools", anyway, but I'm not too sure. The small bone thingy is some sort of pin-vice. The other instrument is interesting. Some sort of gouge tool or scraper? I did a quick Google, and it looks like Ferris&Co. made surgical instruments.
g0HzpVC.jpg
200QM1S.jpg

Aargh! Makes my teeth hurt just to look at those torture instruments:eek::D And all that rust...sorry, patina;) Must've taken a lot of work to keep them clean and rust free when working, or did they bother.....I have horrible childhood 'memories' of a certain dentist...drilled a load of my milk teeth so they stayed in longer than nature intended-rotted the molars waiting to emerge:eek::mad:

Aargh! Makes my teeth hurt just to look at those torture instruments:eek::D And all that rust...sorry, patina;) Must've taken a lot of work to keep them clean and rust free when working, or did they bother.....I have horrible childhood 'memories' of a certain dentist...drilled a load of my milk teeth so they stayed in longer than nature intended-rotted the molars waiting to emerge:eek::mad:

My first dentist didn't believe in novocaine, but he did wash his hands between patients.
Oh, sorry to hear about bad dentists. :( I guess I've been lucky - I mean, no one likes going to the dentist - but I haven't had any truly traumatic experiences. :eek: I guess that's why when I see stuff like this, I might give a passing thought to "What did they use this for? I'll bet that hurt." but mostly I'm figuring out if it's something I can use on arts & crafts projects. Maybe I can use it on wood or leather, I can put a small scribe or graver in that pin vise for scrimshaw...

I stopped by the local antique mall today. They didn't have any pocket knives worth what they ask for them, but I did pick up a few old dental tools. They were marked "dental tools", anyway, but I'm not too sure. The small bone thingy is some sort of pin-vice. The other instrument is interesting. Some sort of gouge tool or scraper? I did a quick Google, and it looks like Ferris&Co. made surgical instruments.
g0HzpVC.jpg
200QM1S.jpg

Oh, sorry to hear about bad dentists. :( I guess I've been lucky - I mean, no one likes going to the dentist - but I haven't had any truly traumatic experiences. :eek: I guess that's why when I see stuff like this, I might give a passing thought to "What did they use this for? I'll bet that hurt." but mostly I'm figuring out if it's something I can use on arts & crafts projects. Maybe I can use it on wood or leather, I can put a small scribe or graver in that pin vise for scrimshaw...

Very interesting Rachel :) I once picked up these antique dental pliers. I offered them to my dentist as a gift, but he looked as horrified as Will! :eek: I have terrible teeth, but never minded going to the dentist at all :) :thumbsup:

zhpDHqT.jpg

My first dentist was ok. He pulled a molar without novacaine, but I don't remember it hurting. Must have been a baby tooth, since I'm pretty sure I've got all my molars. He was the same guy who took out all but four of Dad's teeth to fit him with dentures. I hope he used noavacaine for that.

Well, nobody has asked about my Catholic Sri Lankan friend from grad school, but I'll tell you anyway.
She probably would have been at church on Easter, so I was worried. My 30-year-old address for her was unlikely to be current. But then I realized, this is the 20th[sic] century, I can google her. So I did.
Turns out she died the end of 2015. Probably my age, maybe a couple years younger. There's lots of stuff on Facebook about what a great teacher, mentor, friend, and colleague she was.
Wherever she's gone must be a brighter and happier place than it was before she got there. Everyone she left behind must have had to soak up a lot of sun to compensate for the absence of her smile.
I had to say that somewhere.
No condolences necessary; I haven't seen or heard from her in 30 years.

Last edited:
Well, my flint knives and bearskins computer has packed it in. A "renewed" one from Llama River is due today. I sprang for a three year protection plan, so I'm not too worried about it's being refurbished. The monitor is still good, so there was no reason to get a full kit.

I haven't been on here much lately. Life is continuing to get in the way. I just wanted to stop by and send condolences and best wishes r redden r redden . Know that I'm thinking about you and your family in this terrible time, my friend.

Thank you Shawn life's had some unexpected turns for both of us the last few years my old friend but we're both still standing. :thumbsup:

You should get a picture of the bats under the Congress Street bridge, too, Rachel. ;)
Bats-yick.
Oh, bats are a big tourist attraction around here. They first started roosting under the bridge in the 1980's, right around the time some big hotels were being built along Town Lake. The developers wanted to poison them, but a Mr. Tuttle formed Bat Conservation International and educated the public about the environmental benefit of bats (more plants are pollinated by bats than bees worldwide, and they eat their weight in flying insects every night) Now those same hotels advertise Bat Watching Happy Hours and tour boats. :D
JWb0Wlj.jpg

FMfiC97.png

Oh, bats are a big tourist attraction around here. They first started roosting under the bridge in the 1980's, right around the time some big hotels were being built along Town Lake. The developers wanted to poison them, but a Mr. Tuttle formed Bat Conservation International and educated the public about the environmental benefit of bats (more plants are pollinated by bats than bees worldwide, and they eat their weight in flying insects every night) Now those same hotels advertise Bat Watching Happy Hours and tour boats. :D
JWb0Wlj.jpg

FMfiC97.png
Pretty cool. Need to get me some bats for the mosquitos around here. Thanks for the pics! :thumbsup:

Back