"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

JP please tell me about that Rogers Lambsfoot I recently bought a Rogers Lambsfoot from a dealer in the UK that turned out to be a fiasco. I should have used the one that Jack Black Jack Black referred me to but they didn't have a Barlow with a Lambsfoot blade. They sent the wrong knife the first time made it "right" by telling me to keep the clip point and they sent me the Lambsfoot I had ordered. Anyway both these knives were very poorly built with the worst fit and finish I've ever seen. That's my experience so I wanted to ask you about yours the age, fit and finish everything.
Thanks buddy.

Here's the Lambsfoot
8hHRlUL.jpg

bhuwiVf.jpg

lLJY6TF.jpg

xdpEpO1.jpg
Randy, I've got this knife for some years now and use it regularly. The finish is good, but if the closing snap will please you, the opening is unexistent (not an isssue for me). Very soft to open, the blade slightly toward right, spring not exactly level at the bolster end (again not a real issue), but it has absolutely none of the problems shown on your pictures. I'll post some when enough light (it's 9 1/2 pm).
Send you a pm.

JP please tell me about that Rogers Lambsfoot I recently bought a Rogers Lambsfoot from a dealer in the UK that turned out to be a fiasco. I should have used the one that Jack Black Jack Black referred me to but they didn't have a Barlow with a Lambsfoot blade. They sent the wrong knife the first time made it "right" by telling me to keep the clip point and they sent me the Lambsfoot I had ordered. Anyway both these knives were very poorly built with the worst fit and finish I've ever seen. That's my experience so I wanted to ask you about yours the age, fit and finish everything.
Thanks buddy.

Here's the Lambsfoot
8hHRlUL.jpg

bhuwiVf.jpg

lLJY6TF.jpg

xdpEpO1.jpg

Randy here come the pictures. Sorry for the poor quality, it's raining cats and dogs (we say hallebardes -halberds- which is much more dangerous :D:D;)).
JRB.jpg
JRA.jpg
JRC.jpg

Looks better than mine JP but I won't be buying any more Rogers knives with out inspecting them first.
You're right on both! :( Mine was probably produced tuesday/thursday before lunch time. Yours looks like friday at 4. 30pm...
Long ago I went to the Craven Eden Grove workshop to have a full equipment installed on the Norton. I wanted the full monty; rear rack, top box and panniers.
My mistake, I came at 2pm. By 4. 55pm I had the rack and top box fitted, the silencers modded, when came tea time. The guy who fitted the equipment proposed me to come for tea, which I politely declined, so he left with his assistant ... and never came back, the week was over. :(
I paid what was already mounted (amazingly the cashier did stay later) but never got the panniers on. o_O

We celebrated Mothers Day yesterday so all the kids and grandkids could be a part of it. My wife mentioned some time ago she wanted a new Bible. So she got one meeting her criteria. I also gave her a mancala set. We're the type who play games at the kitchen table nearly every evening. Almost always backgammon. Sometimes several matches in a day. We are of the age of those who were part of backgammon's resurgence (mostly on university campuses) in America in the late 1970s/early 1980s.

My wife used to love card games, but I was never a big fan, particularly when so many games require four hands vs two. We played euchre most weekends with another couple in one of our Hawaii assignments, but haven't played since then and that was more than 20 years ago. In that we always had a blast. Here's hoping we enjoy mancala as much as we do backgammon and used to enjoy four-hand euchre.

I love my wife. She's was my best friend when we married, and she's still my best friend 35 years later.

Looks better than mine JP but I won't be buying any more Rodgers knives with out inspecting them first.

I have a small collection of genuine Joseph Rodgers knives, but I wouldn't bother buying the knives that carry that name today - they have no connection to the original company, are of mediocre quality, and overpriced for what they are I think :thumbsdown:

...and then there's that seldom spoken benefit of stainless steel and synthetic covers that when you hear something rattling in the clothes drier as you are removing your clothes, you cuss a bit, but you find the knife completely functional, as well as really, really clean. And it's ready to put back in your pocket after adding a drop of oil to the joint. Mea Culpa

Last weekend, I posted about my newly-acquired fishing kayak. Well, yesterday was Minnesota's fishing opener, and today I got to take the kayak out fishing for the first time. Not only was this my first time fishing from a kayak, it was also my first time fishing Lake Minnetonka, and the first time I'd fished at all in several years. So I wasn't really worried about reeling in any lunkers (I didn't). Instead, I just figured I'd be happy if I caught anything, and thankfully, I did. This little guy had the honor of being first.

S1ZeiM0.jpg

And I caught his slightly larger cousin a few minutes later.

dcMQuWi.jpg

I caught another small one like the first a bit later on, as well. Not too bad for a short afternoon of fishing. I've certainly had worse days. :D

Last weekend, I posted about my newly-acquired fishing kayak. Well, yesterday was Minnesota's fishing opener, and today I got to take the kayak out fishing for the first time. Not only was this my first time fishing from a kayak, it was also my first time fishing Lake Minnetonka, and the first time I'd fished at all in several years. So I wasn't really worried about reeling in any lunkers (I didn't). Instead, I just figured I'd be happy if I caught anything, and thankfully, I did. This little guy had the honor of being first.

S1ZeiM0.jpg

And I caught his slightly larger cousin a few minutes later.

dcMQuWi.jpg

I caught another small one like the first a bit later on, as well. Not too bad for a short afternoon of fishing. I've certainly had worse days. :D
Way to work those docks. :thumbsup:Looks like maybe you were flipping a jig? ;) Glad you had fun. I need to get out!

Back