"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I failed my sleep test miserably enough that I've got an appointment in 11 days instead of 11 weeks. So apparently I didn't cure myself completely through sheer strength of character. Oh, well.
My only purchase today: a very nice stick for $7.50. I think it might have been more expensive in a larger town, because it's a nice stick. In a small town in farm country, maybe it's just a stick.
S5dCXC5.jpg

Just an hypothesis.

Sorry to hear that Jer. That's a great find though. Any ideas on the timber? Does it have a ferrule on the end?

And Happy Bastille Day to our French brothers and sisters. Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité ou la Mort!

Sorry to hear that Jer. That's a great find though. Any ideas on the timber? Does it have a ferrule on the end?

And Happy Bastille Day to our French brothers and sisters. Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité ou la Mort!

Thanks.
It's a little provoking not being in charge of my own breathing, but it's good the CPAP still works. More irritating is my weight-loss stoppage. I thought I might as well have a little butter on my croissants this morning; maybe that will shock my metabolism into losing more weight.

I have no idea what the wood of my new stick is. It's quite light, but stiff enough that I can't bend it with my hands.
HgLAtw4.jpg

No ferule or cane tip, and no wear to the tip of the stick, but the top of the knob is a little darkened, so it was probably used before probably losing a rubber tip. I had a rubber tip the right size; too bad it's white.
This was at an estate sale under a bridge I am now a little nervous about driving over: part of our crumbling infrastructure issue. There was also a crook-handle cane with beautiful inlay work, but it was more expensive, had too much flex, was too short, and was marred by woodworm tracks between the inlay joins. Probably only surface damage, but since it's aesthetic damage to an aesthetic object, I passed.

And belated happy Bastille Day! I always think it's the 16th, for some reason.

Last edited:
I was answering a question for a fella in General Forum. I was pretty sure I knew the answer but was looking for documentation. In doing my homework I found this reference that one Tobias Gibson had put together on who owns various knife brand names. For those whose interests include such things, it's worth a gander.
http://apg2k.hegewisch.net/wow-6.html#m

Thanks for that Frank, very interesting resource :thumbsup:

I was answering a question for a fella in General Forum. I was pretty sure I knew the answer but was looking for documentation. In doing my homework I found this reference that one Tobias Gibson had put together on who owns various knife brand names. For those whose interests include such things, it's worth a gander.
http://apg2k.hegewisch.net/wow-6.html#m
Thanks for the link, Frank. :thumbsup::cool:
FWIW, Tobias Gibson's Rough Rider reviews have been very influential in my "knife journey".

- GT

Last edited:
I just now got up from the computer to use the restroom, and looking out the window I saw this red-shouldered hawk land in the backyard. When I got back with the camera, he had flown up onto a branch, where I got one quick photo. He then landed back down in the yard and seemed to find a worm or something. I got four more snaps before he took off for good.

EFRsWLa.jpg

LnoePXp.jpg

KCHgsKe.jpg

PSlu6z4.jpg

qMToOtp.jpg

I'm surprised that mad scientist was allowed to fly his flying footstool over the Bastille Day parade. With a rifle yet.

I think it was the lambsfooters who've been talking about compasses.
I bought this one for a couple of dollars years ago because I thought it was cool. I didn't notice it was graduated in mils until I got it home.
VD2UMol.jpg

Turns out it's a Hitler Jugend compass in a bakelite case, worth $60- $90. Still a cool compass, and no reason I couldn't work in mils. And a lesson to me. If I buy what I like, I occasionally get lucky. If I buy something because I think it's worth something, I'm always wrong.
RBWjpE6.jpg

Old school crackly black enamel on the back of the mirror.
XOsYwaR.jpg

Thanks.
It's a little provoking not being in charge of my own breathing, but it's good the CPAP still works. More irritating is my weight-loss stoppage. I thought I might as well have a little butter on my croissants this morning; maybe that will shock my metabolism into losing more weight.

I have no idea what the wood of my new stick is. It's quite light, but stiff enough that I can't bend it with my hands.
HgLAtw4.jpg

No ferule or cane tip, and no wear to the tip of the stick, but the top of the knob is a little darkened, so it was probably used before probably losing a rubber tip. I had a rubber tip the right size; too bad it's white.
This was at an estate sale under a bridge I am now a little nervous about driving over: part of our crumbling infrastructure issue. There was also a crook-handle cane with beautiful inlay work, but it was more expensive, had too much flex, was too short, and was marred by woodworm tracks between the inlay joins. Probably only surface damage, but since it's aesthetic damage to an aesthetic object, I passed.

And belated happy Bastille Day! I always think it's the 16th, for some reason.

That compass was a cool find too., Jer.

I wonder if the walking stick is maple? Although I’m not that up on American timbers, so that’s just a random guess. Re: not having a ferrule at the base, I’ve been fire hardening the bases of my rustic ash walking sticks, by putting them in the hot ashes of a fire so they are heated but don’t have enough oxygen to burn.

Australian Aboriginal hardwood spears are hardened that way.

I hope you’re having better luck with the sleep. I find being tired out by physical activity always helps. My worst period of insomnia coincided with a job which involved constant high level stress for years and virtually no physical exertion.

Nice clasp knife too.

Jeff, those pics of the red-shouldered hawk are amazing. One of my favourite things about hunting, is just sitting there quietly, watching the birdlife with binoculars.

That hoverboard was very cool, Jolipapa.

That compass was a cool find too., Jer.

I wonder if the walking stick is maple? Although I’m not that up on American timbers, so that’s just a random guess. Re: not having a ferrule at the base, I’ve been fire hardening the bases of my rustic ash walking sticks, by putting them in the hot ashes of a fire so they are heated but don’t have enough oxygen to burn.
Australian Aboriginal hardwood spears are hardened that way.
I hope you’re having better luck with the sleep. I find being tired out by physical activity always helps. My worst period of insomnia coincided with a job which involved constant high level stress for years and virtually no physical exertion.

Nice clasp knife too.

Jeff, those pics of the red-shouldered hawk are amazing. One of my favourite things about hunting, is just sitting there quietly, watching the birdlife with binoculars.

That hoverboard was very cool, Jolipapa.

My first thought was tiger maple, but I hadn't realized the stripes go across the long grain. Though I should have; I have a knife handle exactly like that. I expect you're right.

Fire's a good idea I hadn't thought of in a stick context.
I've heard of hardening pointed sticks with heat, it now occurs to me to wonder how elaborate a blade it would work with (I'll google (much easier than the old days of libraries)).

My first bout with sleep apnea was when I had a job that gave me hypertension and Touret's syndrome. And hyberspleneticism. I was sleeping much, but not well.
I think the CPAP is helping. I can function without a Churchillian nap now.

Thanks. My best and favorite clasp knife, from 1943.

In Jolipapa Jolipapa 's picture I don't see the rifle I thought the mad scientist was carrying. That solves that conundrum.
Man, you wouldn't get me on that thing. The James Bond/Man from Glad rocket pack was bad enough.
At least with the hoverboard you wouldn't incinerate your derriere, I guess.

Last edited:
Back