"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I miss fishing with my dad too. He tells a story of the first time he took me out. I was like 5 years old and he rented a row boat and we fished a pond in Ohio, where we lived at the time. He said all I wanted to do was "row the boat". I wish he were still around to tell the story. He loved to make us laugh.

Anyway, after we moved to Utica, NY, just south of the Adirondack Park, we became pretty good fishermen, my dad, my younger brother and I. Many, many hours spent on the West Canada Creek dry fly fishing for brown trout. We fished and camped on most of the Fulton Chain lakes. Also took trips to Boston to fish Flounder. Best eating fish there is, IMO, fresh fried Flounder fillets (say that 5 times fast!).

Thursday my brother, my oldest son and I have a trip planned to our old fishing spots on the West Canada. I don't care if we catch anything or not.

We might catch something though. Here's 2 nice Brown Trout that my brother's SIL took from the same spot. I cut his head off to protect his identity. He's a good guy.
SGJ1wss.jpg

I miss fishing with my dad too - we fished the St. Lawrence (upstate NY) for 30+ years. Grew up fishing the Susquehanna before that. Forward to today ... been a fantastic fishing season - fished the upper Delaware River probably a dozen times this summer - water is at a perfect level (which is a rarity) ... last few times out, managed 30+ bass in the boat ... each !! Wailed the lower unit on my jet boat this morning - gotta get that fixed, but good times fersure !!

Resized-20190420-125513-5547.jpg

I happened upon this magnificent garden sculpture. It lives at Congo NSW south coast not the one where gorillas come from.
It acts like a weathervane pivoting on the pole.
Cool but sinister ...when I was taking a pic it would squeak around to the head on position...as if lining up for the attack.
I wonder if the builder was truing to make a one man submarine which could be launched at popular beaches and swimming spots for maximum terror .....thats what I would do:D..you could pedal it and look out through the jaws.

Resized-20190420-125513-5547.jpg

I happened upon this magnificent garden sculpture. It lives at Congo NSW south coast not the one where gorillas come from.
It acts like a weathervane pivoting on the pole.
Cool but sinister ...when I was taking a pic it would squeak around to the head on position...as if lining up for the attack.
I wonder if the builder was truing to make a one man submarine which could be launched at popular beaches and swimming spots for maximum terror .....thats what I would do:D..you could pedal it and look out through the jaws.
Something like that? (Tintin's submarine) :D
vueentier2.jpg

The wife and I got up this morning with nothing particular in mind but around 10:00AM the scanner went off with a description of a forest fire starting about three miles from the house so we got some glad rags on, jumped in the truck to investigate and rode up into the Modoc National Forest to get eyes on it. It was too far off road to get a good look so we went down to a local lake the sole purpose being to supply water for forest fire fighting. Here are a few pictures of one of the helicopters in action.

Here is a helicopter coming in for water. The fire is just off frame to the left looking at the picture.

IAW0NS2.jpg

Following is a series of pictures as it comes in, fills the basket with water and heads to the fire for a water drop.

NzoHLUN.jpg

34coZ34.jpg

pivWs7B.jpg

pivWs7B.jpg

8crwa6r.jpg

FGTlHYP.jpg

And there he goes.

9m2Rv6e.jpg

The fire seems to be under control but the wife just came in to say she still heard heilicopters and saw a water tender (tanker truck) going by the house headed that way.

OK Buddy wheres the fire?
Ive always wanted to say that....obviously with an Irish accent of course.
Great pics Ed..
PThe Bushies will turn up to a birthday cake candle alight flexing their latest equipment,new uniforms,flashing light muscles....bless 'em. They may have used it as a training drill for da charper....

Last edited:
The wife and I got up this morning with nothing particular in mind but around 10:00AM the scanner went off with a description of a forest fire starting about three miles from the house so we got some glad rags on, jumped in the truck to investigate and rode up into the Modoc National Forest to get eyes on it. It was too far off road to get a good look so we went down to a local lake the sole purpose being to supply water for forest fire fighting. Here are a few pictures of one of the helicopters in action.

Here is a helicopter coming in for water. The fire is just off frame to the left looking at the picture.

IAW0NS2.jpg

Following is a series of pictures as it comes in, fills the basket with water and heads to the fire for a water drop.

NzoHLUN.jpg

34coZ34.jpg

pivWs7B.jpg

pivWs7B.jpg

8crwa6r.jpg

FGTlHYP.jpg

And there he goes.

9m2Rv6e.jpg

The fire seems to be under control but the wife just came in to say she still heard heilicopters and saw a water tender (tanker truck) going by the house headed that way.
These guys do a wonderful job, very dangerous. Recently a very skilled Canadair pilot crashed in a fire. He was the team leader. Hats off!

It's that time of year again...
Dry forests and thunderstorms are a bad combination.
I hope this fire season will be a lot less tragic than last year.

We had really, really, really, severe thunder storms come through here Wednesday night. Hundreds of lightning strikes in the area. This fire most likely sat in a tree trunk or the like for a day and a half just smoldering before it burst into flame and took off.

We had really, really, really, severe thunder storms come through here Wednesday night. Hundreds of lightning strikes in the area. This fire most likely sat in a tree trunk or the like for a day and a half just smoldering before it burst into flame and took off.
It's a scary time of year.
My thoughts are with you and all the other members living in the forested areas of California.

IAW0NS2.jpg

NzoHLUN.jpg

34coZ34.jpg

pivWs7B.jpg

pivWs7B.jpg

8crwa6r.jpg

FGTlHYP.jpg

And there he goes.

9m2Rv6e.jpg

Fingers crossed.

I live in an 800 square foot house in a low-budget neighborhood 2 blocks from a 6 lane retail corridor, but My “back yard” is pretty amazing. This morning I left my house around 7:15 on my bicycle, visited all these following places, and was home by lunch time:

C&O Canal and Potomac River. That is an island you see on the far bank. There is another wider channel on the other side.
UIkthM3.jpg

MM1uiI2.jpg

z7KsQZm.jpg

More shots of the Potomac further down near Great Falls (once again not the main channel):
PSxPrPz.jpg

td38CqY.jpg

Old railway converted to a bike and pedestrian trail. I walked this line to Georgetown when I was a teenager and it still had tracks.
lFIbCe5.jpg

Key Bridge and Washington Monument. I didn’t ride all the way down to the Mall today because of time constraints.
UZ8ZV0f.jpg

Fancy-pants shopping district. Nothing as plebeian as a 7-11 here so time to move along.
31bhPQr.jpg

Back to the ‘hood:
OA782dp.jpg

I always keep an eye out for pawpaws this time of year. I found this perfectly ripe one - tried to put it in my pocket to take it home to share, but it started to get mushy after a couple of miles so I was forced to eat it on the spot. I discovered that the little multi-tool I keep in my bike tool kit does not have a knife blade! I managed to cut it in half with the nail file, then peeled it with my fingers. VERY inelegant - don’t leave home without a knife, people, or risk being similarly humiliated.
VNKOn0X.jpg

hTDwPSX.jpg

l7vTJqu.jpg

I always keep an eye out for pawpaws this time of year. I found this perfectly ripe one - tried to put it in my pocket to take it home to share, but it started to get mushy after a couple of miles so I was forced to eat it on the spot. I discovered that the little multi-tool I keep in my bike tool kit does not have a knife blade! I managed to cut it in half with the nail file, then peeled it with my fingers. VERY inelegant - don’t leave home without a knife, people, or risk being similarly humiliated.
VNKOn0X.jpg

hTDwPSX.jpg

l7vTJqu.jpg
You and I live different zones.
I live in Ottawa another capital city, a bit north of you.
I have many urban fruit trees, pears, cherries apples, staked out, with permission too!
What the devil is a pawpaw?
I'll look it up later.
It looks amazing.

Edited to add: I also live in an eight hundred square foot house, in a rough part of town. I love it, people stop and talk, I have great neighours, and I'm a ten minute bike ride away from downtown.
Haven't had the bike yet this year though. I have been working way too much.

Last edited:
Back