"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Ah yes Jack Black Jack Black ...Brahms 3rd racket....love it...
Hey Gev Gevonovich Gevonovich ...ever since you posted that tedtalk lady about fat and carbs and the dietary revolution like ages ago...i moved to my new home on the south coast and made contact with the diabetes educator..new GP and all that box ticking one has to do when one is t1 diabetic and one has half a brain...moved totally away from carbs on her advice...chips spuds rice and pasta rarely go past my lips these days....and the HBA1C results are much better .Thanks. everything in moderation though...im not a fri%%in monk.....at least I can blame my more random gibberings on hypoglycemia.
Keep up the good work.

I have their earlier "keeping it Tribal" album.
I'm partial to Albannach, also, though I have to skip some of their tracks .
Wicked Tinkers are a tad lighter fare. But very fun. Their "Rant" album is really top notch.

Fantastic Frank, I'd never come across them before they popped up randomly in my YouTube feed :) I have their second album on order, and will try to pick up the first. Thanks for the tips on Albannach and Wicked Tinkers, I'll be sure to check them out :thumbsup:

Ah yes Jack Black Jack Black ...Brahms 3rd racket....love it...
Hey Gev Gevonovich Gevonovich ...ever since you posted that tedtalk lady about fat and carbs and the dietary revolution like ages ago...i moved to my new home on the south coast and made contact with the diabetes educator..new GP and all that box ticking one has to do when one is t1 diabetic and one has half a brain...moved totally away from carbs on her advice...chips spuds rice and pasta rarely go past my lips these days....and the HBA1C results are much better .Thanks. everything in moderation though...im not a fri%%in monk.....at least I can blame my more random gibberings on hypoglycemia.
Keep up the good work.
You keep up the good work Sir !!!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup: Study the videos I posted like a monk; then take a deeper dive into the folks that resonate with your spirit ;):)

One of my favourite parts of the forum has always been Jacknife's tales, and whilst I lack his gift for prose I do occasionally mess with poetry. To that end here's something I wrote today. I hope you all enjoy it, and that this is the right thread for it.
Cheers, James.

- A Song of Silent Travellers

There's dust that clings to old, worn, boots
The kind that won't wash off.
It's held there by the force of life,
- unmoved by spit and cloth.

It sits there as reminder,
of the journeys that we take;
to sing the traveller's stories,
of the road and watering lake.

And it stays there with the figure,
of the wanderer - skin and bone -
who strolls across the landscape,
- unmarked woods his only home.

Till decidedly he kneels in it,
dry sticks held close to hand,
to make the blessed fire,
that the cold nights so demand.

So he peels off soggy tree bark,
with a gliding of the wrist,
sending sharpened steel
through the wood's wet cloying kiss.

'Till finally the curls mount up,
- just crying out for flame;
delivered by the zippo's flick,
in Survival's holy name.

Then finally he leans against,
the lump of his bed-roll,
to stare out at the crystal night,
- darkness torn by starry shoal.

And the barlow sleeps beside him,
its blades still razor sharp,
to listen in the silence,
to the tune of nature's harp.

Any suggestions for an Android compatible GPS app - PRIMARILY - for local off trail hiking?

I'm basically looking for a simple app - that can tell me where I am in my own "backyard" rather than in an already well mapped park or trail system.

Thanks if you have any real world info to share.

Last edited:
I really like BackCountry Navigator Pro on my Android phone for hiking. Good options for base maps, can upload GPS tracks, or record your trips. Been using it for a couple of years.

I really like BackCountry Navigator Pro on my Android phone for hiking. Good options for base maps, can upload GPS tracks, or record your trips. Been using it for a couple of years.

Looks like this is a subscription type app is that right? Surprisingly the web site doesn't tell too much. I'll try finding more info, in any case. Thanks for the tip Mike, Crazy Canuck Crazy Canuck

It was a paid app in the store, but after the initial purchase there has been no additional subscription. Like that you can download the base map section where you'll be, and put your phone in airplane mode (but using GPS) to save battery while in the field. It's come in handy a couple of times on hikes at unexpected forks, etc.

I had a good day at the antique malls yesterday.
n04OP2G.jpg

I had to get the Imperial because it's in the best condition I've seen and the blade is saber shaped on both sides. So often they're flat on one side. I had to straighten the lower guard on the Pal RH4. Somebody as smart and skilled as me must have thrown it at a tree. The Ludwig Groten has a broken blade, but that's why it was five dollars, and I can pretend it's a coping.
The sign of two line-dancing eagles:
GToRPWK.jpg

VV7l1mo.jpg

Last edited:
I've never been in the place below. This is the French MPs ' cafeteria. One of the best place (I heard) to get food and wine.
cantine.jpg
As of today, this place is closed!!! Because a waiter transmitted corona-not-the-beer virus to a MP. :eek::eek::eek:
I never imagined being a MP could mean enduring such drawbacks. :(:(:(
(ie being deprived of cafeteria) :D

I've never been in the place below. This is the French MPs ' cafeteria. One of the best place (I heard) to get food and wine.
View attachment 1297324
As of today, this place is closed!!! Because a waiter transmitted corona-not-the-beer virus to a MP. :eek::eek::eek:
I never imagined being a MP could mean enduring such drawbacks. :(:(:(
(ie being deprived of cafeteria) :D
Hey, I have some chairs like those.
Just one of my hidden depths of classiness.

A great place for food and wine maybe, JP, but not for Mexican Beer!!:eek:
Those chairs are traditionally Ice Cream Parlor chairs, I think!!:rolleyes:
Do the taxpayers subsidize that place??o_O

A great place for food and wine maybe, JP, but not for Mexican Beer!!:eek:
Those chairs are traditionally Ice Cream Parlor chairs, I think!!:rolleyes:
Do the taxpayers subsidize that place??o_O
As dantzk8 dantzk8 said, yes, it's in the taxes! But we can visit (if not order!).
There was once a Prez who loved apples and corona beer. Personally I think it tastes like a donkey's byproduct...:)

This Just In::
AppaRently ....ri.ght....if you Mummifify yourself in toilet paper.....it protects you from bull#$$%.....question is...what did we do before toilet paper????

Another good Saturday's shopping. God bless these little farm towns. Goodell Company ($2), Kutmaster ($3), unmarked($3), Robinson($3),Olsen($32).
McqqyDm.jpg

I've seen Howard City Olsens ground down to an icepick for two or three times this price.
I have to chop the Kutmaster and remove the broken pen blade. Still cheap for the price.

Last edited:
Back