"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Boris: well...do ya? Punk!
    Meako: Someone say they saw a snake round here?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  2. dantzk8

dantzk8

Nov 1, 2005
    Meako,

How many times will it take ?

Dan.

3. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    If that snake were bigger, he'd swallow you whole :eek: reptile affection :D;)

Now I'm thinking about Jennifer Lopez in Anaconda....an otherwise crap film ;)

meako likes this.
  4. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I'm not going to the Amazon without an iron hat with a sharply serrated brim, back-and breast plates studded with arrow heads, and spiky knee and elbow pieces. And a large cinquedea. [ I may not have spelled cinquedea quite right, but "delinquency", Spellcheck? A large delinquency?]
    Or maybe Spellcheck knows me too well.

meako and Prester John like this.
  5. jc57

jc57 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2012
    That's a beautiful snake, @meako. I don't share the apparently common fear or hatred of snakes. Just prudent caution about not bothering a poisonous one.

I think they are interesting, pretty animals that I generally try leave alone to live their lives. That said, if we had a cottonmouth or copperhead in the yard, I'd certainly try to find some way to capture and relocate it elsewhere. But I never see snakes where I live in the city, not even the little garter snakes. There are plenty of chipmunks, voles, and squirrels so it's not for lack of fodder. Guess the habitat is not right.

knarfeng, meako and r8shell like this.
  6. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    @meako
    I promise that I will never knock on your door, even if I were invited over.
    To say I have a "phobia" about sn ... sn ... sn ... legless reptiles ... is an understatement.

I suspect it is because I was killed by one in a previous life.

meako likes this.
  7. dantzk8

dantzk8

Nov 1, 2005
    Welcome to the club.

Dan.

meako and Will Power like this.
  8. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I like snakes. :cool: Bugs, however, creep me out. Maybe it's legs I have a problem with...o_O

meako and JohnDF like this.
  9. Headwinds

Headwinds Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 15, 2016
    Perhaps they're just very discreet.;)

jc57, afishhunter and RayseM like this.
  10. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I don't mind snakes either, as long as they don't 'rattle' at me.
    Bugs aren't too bad either, as long as they don't have more than six legs.
    Anything with more than six legs absolutely creeps me out. I HATE spiders!!!

11. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    No "Perhaps" about it.
    I've seen more legless reptiles in the city, than I've seen out in the boonies/sticks. :(
    (I think they want to kill me again, so they come out of hiding in the city to get me. I have a gun when in the boonies/sticks, and can kill them before they can get to me.)

12. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    I've always liked snakes, and I'm not particularly bothered by most insects, spiders, etc., although there were a few in Arizona that I'd prefer kept to themselves. o_O

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Hunting scorpions in the backyard with a blacklight was actually kind of fun. Finding them in the house, not so much.)

This guy was checking out my WLST on our first trip to visit my brother and his family in England.

[​IMG]

On that same trip, the first night we arrived at my brother's place in Bath, I picked up this snail outside their house and put it in the kitchen sink for my sister-in-law to find. :D Even better than her reaction was listening to everyone try to figure out how it got in there. (I eventually came clean.) :)

[​IMG]

Eleanor is a big fan of snakes. They've always been her favorite animals when we go to the zoo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    No... Just, NO!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Cutfinger, meako, 315 and 3 others like this.
  14. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    It's always interesting what we like/loathe :thumbsup: And seemingly irrational too, at least if you're not afraid of it;) As a kid I was the only one in the family who didn't abhor spiders and was sent to bathrooms, sinks etc to retrieve home invaders. At a zoo I allowed a huge furry one to climb up my arm much to the horror of most. Insects interest me a lot, particularly flying beetles:cool: So too with bats which weirdly horrify a lot of people, their impressive silent flight when hawking insects is a summer delight. Lizards are grand too, although once long ago in France when I was staying with a GF, we had been well you know..and a green lizard fell in though the roof window and landed on us, lot of screaming and not just her :D:eek: There were a lot of snakes at this cottage and I did not like going out walking at night, the place was very old and had gaps under the doors, it freaked me out that they could slither in whenever....No, I don't like 'em and I don't think reptiles relate to humans somehow, not like other mammals do, speciesism :D

I hear Rattlesnake offers good eating though and I might try it:D well, I like Eel and they're pretty slithery and disgusting;)

afishhunter likes this.
  15. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    "I don't like spiders and snakes...." :p

meako and r8shell like this.
  16. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I've had fried rattlesnake. Kinda like eating turkey neck, more bone than meat there, but it wasn't bad.

17. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Fried alligator is the only reptile I've et. Don't know if I'd try snake. Probably not.

Crazy Canuck and meako like this.
  18. Headwinds

Headwinds Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 15, 2016
    I've always heard that the one thing rattlesnake meat and McD's chicken nuggets have in common is that they both taste sort of like chicken.

Jolipapa, Will Power, r8shell and 3 others like this.
  19. Rookie82

Rookie82 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2014
    I don't really have anything in nature that bothers me. I find them all interesting, as long as I am the one approaching them. I'm not fond of being surprised by something falling/flying into my face.

Cutfinger likes this.
  20. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    I had fried Alligator (or maybe it was crocodile?) once, in St. Petersburg, Florida. It was like chewing sand or a Chicken "Hotdog". Very "gritty".
    I know it was cooked right. I bought it fresh at the local fish market (just 3 blocks from where I was staying), and cooked it myself.

Rather bland tasting, too. A lot like white chicken meant is.

meako and Prester John like this.