"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Anchovies are the BEST pizza topping. Love sardines too. And I eat canned tuna almost every day (in olive oil, not water). Escargot, etc.: yuck!
Guess we have opposite tastes. :)
I knew a dud who's favorite pizza was anchovies with sauerkraut and jalapeño.
I am tempted to think he liked that combination because no one ever asked for, or swiped a piece of his pizza.

I knew a dud who's favorite pizza was anchovies with sauerkraut and jalapeño.
I am tempted to think he liked that combination because no one ever asked for, or swiped a piece of his pizza.
That doesn't sound bad! Another favorite is anchovies, pepperoni, onions, and garlick. Yum, yum!

There is a lot of variation in the quality of canned anchovies. I once encountered some anchovies in a swanky neighborhood restaurant that were so good we asked the waitress what brand they were. My lady friend then persuaded them to sell us a big can. Very mild and savory, but not overly salty or fishy tasting. They gave us a good price, too; it must have been their cost.

0F89ABE4-A8A6-41CE-B40F-437C7E77EDD6.jpeg

In my exurban neighborhood, if I order a Caesar, I ask for ONE anchovy. One is usually enough, but they will still put three or four on the salad. If you don’t say anything, they will dump half a can, sometimes a whole can, because out in the hinterlands, hardly anybody wants sardines on their Caesar. They have to open a tin to accommodate you, and they will probably go bad before anybody else orders them.

Last edited:
I like moules frites, a couple dozen mussels in broth, topped with well-oiled and seasoned crispy french fries.

"Moules frites"! With a fresh blond belgian ale! I'm used to go at few miles from my home, in Belgium, for that. With the confinement the border is closed. The good days are gone. As a side note, the belgian fries are much better than the french ones.

Dan.

Hey folks hope all are well and safe from this terrible virus. I've stayed in my apartment luckily I bought about 3 months supplies both medical and household necessities when this first started so I don't need to go anywhere. I had started a guitar repair business and was doing well and really enjoyed it as well the extra income but have quit taking in anything for the social distancing thing. I did get a new wheelchair that's much better. The repair shop was my kitchen table one of the benefits of living alone you can do what you want to with your space. Anyway that's what I've been up to I just wanted to drop in on my friends and to wish you all well through the crazy time we are in.

It’s great to hear from you, Randy! Stay safe, my friend! :thumbsup:

I know someone already shared a version of this song, but it’s one of my favorite John Prine songs, and I though this was a great old video of John singing it.

It’s great to hear from you, Randy! Stay safe, my friend! :thumbsup:

I know someone already shared a version of this song, but it’s one of my favorite John Prine songs, and I though this was a great old video of John singing it.

Ah man Barrett, an icon in music, how many other great artists covered that song as well? countless played it with John:thumbsup: When I heard of John's passing I'm guessing I watched youtube vid's of his songs for several hrs. Looking back at how young he was in many of those (Sam Stone) for one just made me reflect on how fast time passes. I talked with my brothers and we reeled off about 15-20 titles of which one was our favorite...too many to have just one:)

He could speak/rhyme a lyric like no other, Angel from Montgomery was in all of our "favorites" list. That's a great video right there, thanks for posting it:thumbsup:

Ah man Barrett, an icon in music, how many other great artists covered that song as well? countless played it with John:thumbsup: When I heard of John's passing I'm guessing I watched youtube vid's of his songs for several hrs. Looking back at how young he was in many of those (Sam Stone) for one just made me reflect on how fast time passes. I talked with my brothers and we reeled off about 15-20 titles of which one was our favorite...too many to have just one:)

He could speak/rhyme a lyric like no other, Angel from Montgomery was in all of our "favorites" list. That's a great video right there, thanks for posting it:thumbsup:
I read he was a favourite of Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash, so maybe I should listen to him.

Fried breaded or un-breaded Egg Plant = "Yummy" (even when I was a very young youngling.) (I liked (still do) cooked or raw spinach, too, and not because of that idiot moron Vegan "Popeye", whom I have never liked.) I also liked (still do) Brussels Sprouts, (raw) Broccoli, and (raw) Cauliflower, and (raw) red an white radishes.

Zucchini = "Ewww ... Ickie ... (((GAG)))" and "It might be "edible" but it ain't "eatable"." (admittedly, I may have never have any that was prepared properly.)
FYI
"Edible"= It won't kill you if you eat it, but that don't mean it tastes good.
"Eatable" = It won't kill you if you eat it, and it tastes good.

Escargot, Sea Snails (like Conch), Oyster, Squid, Octapi, Cuttlefish, etc. ="Yummy"

Sardines and Anchovies = "Edible, but not so yummy."

Canned Tuna = "BLAH!! Over cooked"
Tuna Susi = Yummy (and its not over cooked, either. :) )

I discovered today that the facility is under lock-down, because there are nine known confirmed cases of Covid-19 in town. (population of town/village is a hair over 4100, not counting dogs, cats, mice, rats, sn ... sn .. sn... legless reptiles, cattle, horses, mules, spiders and bugs)
Residents can go outside and walk or crawl around, but we cannot leave the property. So, I can't ride my (adult) trike to the store no more until the Governor Little lifts his self quarantine edict, or it expires after the 21 days he specified. :(
Popeye was not a vegetarian, he just ate a lot of spinach.

You probably have listened to him Vince, just didn't know.
Well worth opening your ears to John Prine :thumbsup: One of the greats !!
My wife was listening at a low volume last night from her iPhone--not loud enough to hear the words (not wearing hearing aids), and I was reminded of Johnny Cash and Woody Guthrie.

Popeye was not a vegetarian, he just ate a lot of spinach.
I never saw it eat anything but spinach.
Even when it had the burger joint and Wimpy and Olive were his best non-paying customers, (true ... Olive probably paid for hers ... but not with money) Popeye didn't eat a single burger, french fry, onion ring, pickle, or even a slice of bread or half a burger bun.

I never saw it eat anything but spinach.
Even when it had the burger joint and Wimpy and Olive were his best non-paying customers, (true ... Olive probably paid for hers ... but not with money) Popeye didn't eat a single burger, french fry, onion ring, pickle, or even a slice of bread or half a burger bun.
Maybe you didn't watch enough or read enough:
IcGGG61.jpg

;)

Back