"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I love them, and have that exact set. A couple I know received them as a wedding present and still had them in the box when I moved out to Washington in 1992. They drug them out of their garage and gave them to me. I’ll be devastated if I ever break one.
Funny, isn't it? They're just bowls, but I go looking for reasons to use them.

Speaking of bowls, I'm going Ornisho-vegan for my diabetes (Dr. Neal Barnard's etc). So I'm eating a lot more hummus than I like, so I add chopped olives to it, so how to chop them small enough without losing them, so I found this bowl in the basement to go with my mezza lunas.
zqmYRdq.jpg

Speaking of bowls, I'm going Ornisho-vegan for my diabetes (Dr. Neal Barnard's etc). So I'm eating a lot more hummus than I like, so I add chopped olives to it, so how to chop them small enough without losing them, so I found this bowl in the basement to go with my mezza lunas.
zqmYRdq.jpg

I am very fond of good freshly-made hummus, but I find most of the supermarket stuff here to be of very poor quality. Nice photo Jer. I've never heard of that diet Jer, but good luck with it, and I hope it helps :thumbsup:

I am very fond of good freshly-made hummus, but I find most of the supermarket stuff here to be of very poor quality. Nice photo Jer. I've never heard of that diet Jer, but good luck with it, and I hope it helps :thumbsup:
Thanks.
I was going vegetarian anyway, for my hyperlipidemia, when I read the Barnard book before throwing it out. (I remember Mom sitting with it with a pen and saying "I just don't use the ingredients in these recipes." So I was going to toss it as surplus crack-potterie.)
I've lost 15 pounds or so, and slashed my blood lipids dramatically.
I don't use the recipes; I've just been eating a lot of vegs, which cheers me up with all the attendant knife-work.
0AaBhNn.jpg

I'm not recommending the diet, or listening to anybody who wants to argue against it. Everything works for somebody, and nothing works for everybody.

I remember getting the oak-handled luna, and tracing the split handle to make a new one. I kind of thought I had more than one, but I have no idea where I got the lyre-shaped one. Looks like I just epoxied in the nubs on that handle and dipped it in spar varnish.

Thanks.
I was going vegetarian anyway, for my hyperlipidemia, when I read the Barnard book before throwing it out. (I remember Mom sitting with it with a pen and saying "I just don't use the ingredients in these recipes." So I was going to toss it as surplus crack-potterie.)
I've lost 15 pounds or so, and slashed my blood lipids dramatically.
I don't use the recipes; I've just been eating a lot of vegs, which cheers me up with all the attendant knife-work.
0AaBhNn.jpg

I'm not recommending the diet, or listening to anybody who wants to argue against it. Everything works for somebody, and nothing works for everybody.

I remember getting the oak-handled luna, and tracing the split handle to make a new one. I kind of thought I had more than one, but I have no idea where I got the lyre-shaped one. Looks like I just epoxied in the nubs on that handle and dipped it in spar varnish.

Good stuff Jer, better to alter your diet than to have to take loads of drugs, or worse! :thumbsup:

Little eggplants the size of golf balls in a Thai green curry, with coconut milk and some chicken or fried tofu...
The long narrow Ichiban eggplants are very good if you slice and bake them in olive oil and garlic. (and I once tasted escargot, which proved that enough garlic butter can make almost anything edible)

Back