1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

1. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    GT, I'm going to pretend I never saw that post. It must have been submitted during a senior moment. There's no question (in my mind) you were packing a pair of pearl handled 45s and had your Cowboy boots on the day you were photographed for your avatar. ;)

2. rbeggs

rbeggs Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 8, 2013
    I have a pair of bison leather doubleH work boots with rubber type sole and they are very good boots. Sounds like you got a good deal on them as theyre not cheap boots!

3. dantzk8

dantzk8

Nov 1, 2005
    An other good one by George Best:

"I had a house by the sea, but to get to the beach, you had to walk past a bar. I have never seen the sea".

Dan.

meako and scrteened porch like this.
  4. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    While studying nursing in Texas I had a classmate that ticked all the boxes of the stereotypical cowboy and he LOVED his boots :)

I remember how frustrated and upset he was when he was “forced” to wear white running shoes for clinical practice lol

“I can’t walk with these things” he would complain over and over.

5. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I've worn cowboy boots from the time I was about 10 years old.
    Nowadays I rotate between my cowboy boots and my Merrill boots.
    It depends how ambitious I feel about tugging on some boots in the morning.
    I almost never wear cowboy boots on really long drives, my Merrill boots are more comfortable for that.

6. Headwinds

Headwinds Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 15, 2016
    A cowboy is giving a talk to some school kids explaining that everything a cowboy wears has a purpose. He says, "Now, my hat is shaped the way it is to keep the sun off my face and the back of my neck and if my horse needs a drink I can use my hat to scoop him up some water"....."And I pull this bandana here that's around my neck up over my face so that I don't get dust in my eyes and nose when I'm trailing cattle".... A little boy sitting in the front row says, "How come you're wearing tennis shoes instead of Cowboy Boots"? The cowboy smiles and says, "That's so folks don't mistake me for a truck driver."

7. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Deleted

8. Henry Beige

Jun 1, 2015
    Search on “Thomas Wolfe”.

9. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Hey, I'll bet that will make a difference! Thanks.

Prester John and Henry Beige like this.
  10. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Good looking boots. Howsoever...

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dont-squat-with-yer-spurs-on-texas-bix-bender/1113526931

Sounds like "sage" advice.

11. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    James, I may well have been packing a single stag-handled six-shooter cap gun (I think my 2 younger brothers and I each got such a handgun about the time of the photo from a newly-wed aunt and uncle, thanking us for letting my youngest brother serve as ring-bearer at their wedding), but no cowboy boots. At that age, I was probably wearing some kind of Buster Browns from the Grange store in the county seat. :rolleyes:

- GT

12. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I still can't find the home again cartoon, but I like this one:
    [​IMG]

meako, CelloDan, Jolipapa and 3 others like this.
  13. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    gosh ... this makes a lot of sense ... not ... a new factory Schrade 7OT/6OT leather sheath by itself is $20. Same sheath with a new 7OT is $18.
    My vintage not "Schrade +" 7OT needs a new sheath. Guess which one I gonna buy next month ... or maybe January, since I run out of coffee and creamer today. :(

(Hint: I a cheap bast... I mean ... a cheap son of a bit ... I mean ... a cheap son of a gun. Besides, $2 will buy two 2 liters of generic Mountain Dew, with a few cents left over.)

meako likes this.
  14. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Oh that's OK. My neighbors once called the police about the sounds of screaming pennies.

15. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005

meako, btb01, redsparrow and 5 others like this.
  16. Henry Beige

Jun 1, 2015

Worthy of Letterman. I would put it ahead of “Is it anything?” And “Will it float”, but not quite on a par with “Stupid Pet Tricks”.

sitflyer, btb01 and Jack Black like this.
  17. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    That’s great! :D

His mention of MythBusters reminded me that I watched this video recently and meant to share it here, but for whatever reason I never got around to it. If I remember correctly, I think @meako has one of these giant display SAKs? It’s interesting to see it taken apart and how it all works.

meako, JB in SC and sitflyer like this.
  18. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    That's very cool Barrett :cool: Those things go for a fortune these days :eek: I have this big Wenger, but it doesn't have any blades, and was actually part of a Wenger watch display :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

paulhilborn, JB in SC, btb01 and 4 others like this.
  19. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    His enthusiasm for the SAK fired me up this morning lol
    Last year I gave my 10 year old nephew one... luckily for me his mom/my sister was not too upset when he "drew first blood" from one of his fingers :eek:
    I know what I'll be carrying today :)

buckthorn, Cutfinger and btb01 like this.
  20. JB in SC

JB in SC Basic Member Basic Member

May 19, 2001
    While attending my late employer's funeral, the pastor said "he could squeeze a penny until Lincoln squealed"....everyone in the congregation laughed.

veitsi_poika, knarfeng, btb01 and 3 others like this.