"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Perhaps I should have let things pass me by, and yet I bit. Resurrecting an old thread to ask a question, which anyone here with the appropriate knowledge would have been happy to answer I could see as justified. But then insult our entire community a few minutes later just galled me. I Also took his backhanded insult personally which I should have let lie. His only stated criteria for a knife seemed to be for cleaning and butchering game. Then to say you'd rather have a knife knapped of stone than a knife that doesn't lock is I'm sorry, a statement of a buffoon who likes to "play" survivor man in MY opinion. Remember that scene in Castaway when Tom Hanks returns to civilization and they give him his personal belongings back? There's a keychain with a little Victorinox classic on it, he gives that tiny blade such a meaningful look. Well written bit of screenplay that was imho. As for my part in stirring the chamber pot I apologize.

Perhaps I should have let things pass me by, and yet I bit. Resurrecting an old thread to ask a question, which anyone here with the appropriate knowledge would have been happy to answer I could see as justified. But then insult our entire community a few minutes later just galled me. I Also took his backhanded insult personally which I should have let lie. His only stated criteria for a knife seemed to be for cleaning and butchering game. Then to say you'd rather have a knife knapped of stone than a knife that doesn't lock is I'm sorry, a statement of a buffoon who likes to "play" survivor man in MY opinion. Remember that scene in Castaway when Tom Hanks returns to civilization and they give him his personal belongings back? There's a keychain with a little Victorinox classic on it, he gives that tiny blade such a meaningful look. Well written bit of screenplay that was imho. As for my part in stirring the chamber pot I apologize.
Didn't seem to me that you did anything wrong, David.

I think we all have gotten a sense of the type of guy you are from your posts here, and the fact that you feel bad for allowing yourself to get provoked just reinforces the positive impression. Don’t sweat it.

I bit to David and went on to post a msg on his page once the thread was locked. Unfortunately it has to be 140 characters or less and I easily surpassed that:oops: I was so proud of my retort and upset I exceeded the quota for it to post, let alone remain so I copied and pasted and msg'd it to Duncan for posterity:D

Last edited:
I bit to David and went on to post a msg on his page once the thread was locked. Unfortunately it has to be 140 characters or less and I easily surpassed that:oops: I was so proud of my retort and upset I exceeded the quota for it to post let alone remain so I copied and pasted and msg'd it to Duncan for posterity:D

:D :D

Gee, I missed the whole thing, but thanks anyway.

Me too, but I miss a lot of things these days :rolleyes:

I bit to David and went on to post a msg on his page once the thread was locked. Unfortunately it has to be 140 characters or less and I easily surpassed that:oops: I was so proud of my retort and upset I exceeded the quota for it to post let alone remain so I copied and pasted and msg'd it to Duncan for posterity:D

:D :D :thumbsup:

Happy Thanksgiving!
47 degrees instead of the 50 they've been predicting, but still dry, so our local households can muster in my back yard. I've got a bit of stuff to do.
I'll carry Mom's picnicking melon tester and something with a corn-yellow handle.

In the very early 1960's , we lived in a southern Indiana town that had the County Courthouse and the normal Square around it . In the Fall , people were invited to bring there own shotgun and ammo down at night to shoot into the trees and kill starlings . The excrement mess they would make on the sidewalks was terrible. Harry

We had pigeon shoots at our courthouse until the mid 60's. It had a wood superstructure dome covered with tin. Place was infested with them.

Shot hundreds on a Saturday afternoon.

And as the sun sets gently in the West, we wave goodbye to our short-lived visitor... whose account has been removed for threatening other members.
I managed to get in some snide yet cryptic remarks, before things went "Blooey"!!
My Sicilian paranoia kicked in as soon as I read the jerk's remarks.
Parting is such sweet sorrow!!:(
:D
Where would we be without our wonderful moderators!!:eek:
Another reason to give Thanks today!!;)

Last edited:
tmp-gif.918863

It was with sadness yesterday that I read about the passing of Diego Maradona.

I reflected a little about it ... I thought about that distant past in my native country and moved on to carry on with my busy day ... after all I have been away from it for the past 31 years in Canada and the US and only the first 20 years of my life were lived in Argentina.

Today I felt drawn to read about him, watch him play again, think soccer (a sport for which I had very little talent growing up)
As I was doing this my wife ( Cuban Canadian) with no ill intention whatsoever made some comments on the personal struggles he had with addition and other aspects of his life.

I became irritated and snapped at her ... told her her to stop ... I apologized right away but then felt the sting of tears running down my face.

R.I.P Diego

I reflected a little about it ... I thought about that distant past in my native country and moved on to carry on with my busy day ... after all I have been away from it for the past 31 years in Canada and the US and only the first 20 years of my life were lived in Argentina.

Today I felt drawn to read about him, watch him play again, think soccer (a sport for which I had very little talent growing up)
As I was doing this my wife ( Cuban Canadian) with no ill intention whatsoever made some comments on the personal struggles he had with addition and other aspects of his life.

I became irritated and snapped at her ... told her her to stop ... I apologized right away but then felt the sting of tears running down my face.

R.I.P Diego
Sorry to hear that, Dan. "The Hand of God." What a great player. He was still young. May he rest in peace.

R.I.P Diego
One the great footballers of all time...too bad the fame and money goes to their heads in so many talented sportsmen.Im reminded of Georgie Bests response when ask what he did with all the money he made....I spent most of it on fast cars and loose women, the rest I squandered.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! I know I don't post much but I visit pretty much every day.

I am well past my knife buying days but still carrying and using some of my favorites. The Buck forum knife gets some good use, my old Case Small Tx Jack, couple of Case Stockman patterns, of course my beloved Victorinox Alox Cadet is usually within reach.

2020 has really taken the wind out of my sails and the twinkle out of my eye. It's always nice to stop in here, and see all the familiar names and faces. It makes me feel like there are a bunch of old friends who kept a chair set out for me.

Have fun and spend time with your family and friends if you can during these holidays. My job is in senior technical support for a fairly large company that does an awful lot of business this time of year, so after this one day of taking a breath, it is a non-stop sprint for me until I and the other elves get Santa's sleigh loaded up. If you are in the same boat, my sympathies! If not, enjoy the time and the season! I look forward to retirement some day (5 years from now if things go well) and maybe I will view the holidays as fun and not work.

Sorry to hear that, Dan. "The Hand of God." What a great player. He was still young. May he rest in peace.

Thanks Vince.
His passing triggered memories and experiences of growing up, which then lead you to more memories and before you know it you suddenly feel very homesick for a home that does not exist anymore in the way your mind envisions it ... as a lot of things I am sure have changed in 3 decades.

I think every immigrant gets this feeling once in while.

I would love to one day go back for a visit.

Thanks Vince.
His passing triggered memories and experiences of growing up, which then lead you to more memories and before you know it you suddenly feel very homesick for a home that does not exist anymore in the way your mind envisions it ... as a lot of things I am sure have changed in 3 decades.

I think every immigrant gets this feeling once in while.

I would love to one day go back for a visit.
Whenever you make a geographical move, even if in the same country, you can never return to where you left, because things evolve and change on a daily basis, so when years pass, upon returning to former stomping grounds, they are invariably changed and alien to the returnee...I have experienced this with my home town, some 900 miles from where I now live. You can return, but you can never go back...

Back