"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

It’s pawpaw season again!
I only found 2 ripe ones today - the rest were hard as rocks still. Next week looks like it will be the week, if I manage to get down to the river.
What do they taste like, Tom??

Mail call! :) I just received a very generous care package from JJ Cahill JJ Cahill :) Along with some beautiful postcards, JJ included 3 matching Cracked Ice Hammer Brand knives from 1946-55, which are in superb condition, and a stunning addition to my Barlow collection :cool: Many thanks for your kindness buddy (your PM box is full) :thumbsup:

9kSp1Ou.jpg
Nice, thoughtful package Jack!!
Very rich gift, JJ Cahill JJ Cahill !!

What do they taste like, Tom??
They taste sort of like a cross between a mango and a banana. It’s hard to describe, but the taste reminds me most of a grenade-shaped fruit you can find in East Africa that I don’t know the name of and haven’t had is many, many years ( real helpful, I know…). At any rate, they are very sweet and a real treat when properly ripe. Here is a picture of the inside, taken during a bike ride a couple of years ago:

They taste sort of like a cross between a mango and a banana. It’s hard to describe, but the taste reminds me most of a grenade-shaped fruit you can find in East Africa that I don’t know the name of and haven’t had is many, many years ( real helpful, I know…). At any rate, they are very sweet and a real treat when properly ripe. Here is a picture of the inside, taken during a bike ride a couple of years ago:
I know exactly the fruit you mean, but don't know it's name either! :D :thumbsup:

I know exactly the fruit you mean, but don't know it's name either! :D :thumbsup:
Of course it has been almost 30 years, so put side-by-side they might not be all that similar in taste. They were my very favorites, though, so I do have a fairly strong recollection. Anyway, whitish flesh, black seeds, short season - they share all those things, so that’s what pawpaws REMIND me of..

Edit:
My wife SORT OF agreed with me when I made the comparison, but I’m not sure when the last time she had one of those, either…

Of course it has been almost 30 years, so put side-by-side they might not be all that similar in taste. They were my very favorites, though, so I do have a fairly strong recollection. Anyway, whitish flesh, black seeds, short season - they share all those things, so that’s what pawpaws REMIND me of..

Edit:
My wife SORT OF agreed with me when I made the comparison, but I’m not sure when the last time she had one of those, either…
It's more than 40 years for me! :D I used to get them in Lebanon, they were my favourites too, but I can't even remember the Arabic name for them! You've described them very well though, and they're really not easy to describe, neither their appearance nor taste :) :thumbsup:

J Just Tom. and Jack Black Jack Black , grenade-shaped and Middle Eastern, East African makes my first guess be pomegranate (based on name).

- GT
No, it is a green thing with segments that make it look sort of like a fragmentation grenade as I recall. The segments taper inwards towards the middle of the fruit, and each one has a black seed in it. I should have specified that I don’t know the English word for it. My wife calls it “aat”, but which of the 3 languages she grew up speaking that is, I’m not sure…

Edit:
I found this picture on the internet. I’m pretty sure it is the same thing I remember. Jack?

Last edited:

Edit:

Do you think chayotte? Or prickly pear?
I have not eaten mangos since 1977, when back from Ivory Coast. The taste of the wild, small, mangoes fresh from the tree is imperishable. But maybe your mangoes are of South American origin, different of our turpentine smelling uns from Africa.

There's a joke in our primary school yards, that translates quite well :
How do you harvest pawpaws (papayes)?
With a fo-fork (foufourche)! 😊

edit : your picture came while I was writing.

Do you think chayotte? Or prickly pear?
I have not eaten mangos since 1977, when back from Ivory Coast. The taste of the wild, small, mangoes fresh from the tree is imperishable. But maybe your mangoes are of South American origin, different of our turpentine smelling uns from Africa.

There's a joke in our primary school yards, that translates quite well :
How do you harvest pawpaws (papayes)?
With a fo-fork (foufourche)! 😊
No. See my post and image above.

They do have very tasty mangoes here, mostly from Mexico I think, but the even the freshest ones are not picked ripe. If you can get fruit picked when ripe, the taste is a million times better, as you say.

I also travelled to Ethiopia several times, and the variety and quality of the fruit there was amazing. They had all sorts of banana and mango varieties you can’t get here.

Also, the American pawpaw is not a papaya - I believe you and I had a heated discussion about that the fist time I posted a pawpaw pic :D :https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...al-knife-tales-vignettes.754492/post-19233738

Last edited:
The pic looks like Custard Apple...they need to be very ripe...yum...
I think you are on to something there. I googled it and they seem to definitely be related. Wikipedia also puts them in the same family as pawpaws, which would explain why I found them similar:

It also seems closely related to this:

”custard” also does describe the taste pretty well, and of pawpaws, too.

Last edited:
We used to go to Ft. Lauderdale for spring vacation in college!
I always thought Grapefruits were sour, astringent fruits back then, but while driving home, and in Florida, I found an abandoned orchard with very ripe grapefruits - huge - sagging almost to the ground!! Beyond delicious!! I filled a big bag, and brought them back to a snow storm in Buffalo!! Peeled them and ate them like oranges!!
1966, but I still remember them!!

The dictionary says differently. seamingly.
.View attachment 1632055
View attachment 1632056
That is just a mistranslation. I will direct you to the same article as last time for clarification:

That is just a mistranslation. I will direct you to the same article as last time for clarification:
Duly noted!
par défaut 5.jpg

Is it possible that a plant or its fruit was named after something taxonomically different because it looks the same...?
Lets face it.....discoverers were often under pressure from others....it goes for place names as well....errrr lemmethinkaminute...New York, New England ( theres one in northern NSW* too)
New Amsterdam( nobody goes there except scientists studying penguins)....Nova Scotia ,New Caledonia etc etc erm Rosewood??
We have a "native"strawberry which is a weedy barely edible thing and hails from India...but it looks eggzackly like a strawberry...
* New South Wales.....the best one ever because New England is a mere region of the state....

Last edited:
Back