"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Looks like their knife lineup has been pared way back. At least they kept the classic rudeboys’ ratchet and the Biltong, my favorite even if it is named after a piece of beef jerky. Is there a US importer?

A quick search used to turn up some very informative videos on how to tune the backspring so the knife flicked open more easily, and how to wield the knife like a rudeboy, but they did not come up in my most recent attempt.
I don’t know of any current US importers.

All but one or two of the “new” listings are clearly fakes, but I found one guy from South Africa selling the ratchet knives on the auction site for $30. Given an honest assessment of the materials and workmanship, I feel $15 would be a reasonable price if they could be purchased in a store, so $30 is perhaps a little steep, but still fair I think considering the free shipping.

I corresponded with the guy before buying, and I’m happy to kick in the few extra bucks to at least indirectly support a company’s effort to resist globalization and counterfeits.

It was a beautiful morning at the farm.
DWZJsGD.jpg

Just for curiosity sake...
Which band or singer have you seen the most in concert?
For me it was Chris LeDoux, I've seen him four times in concert.
I even got to share a table with him once and bought him a beer.

George Strait, John. 20-something times. Helps his Vegas shows were right down the street from me. Also cleaned out one of the guys in the opening band at the poker table the night before one show, great guys would have gladly bought a round of comped beers.

I went looking for Okapi catalog PDFs online, and discovered that the company was bought in 2019 by another South African tool manufacturer:

“Today, Okapi is proudly owned by Lasher Tools. We make sure that these iconic pocket and cane knives stay within local manufacturing. Our intention is to hold the Okapi name in good stead and keep its legacy going!”
https://lasher.co.za/lasher-is-keeping-local-alive-with-okapi-vicker-tools/

Here is the current catalog (loads slowly):
https://lasher.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Okapi-Full-Catalogue-2021-v6.pdf

The catalog is much reduced, but at least the 907E is still being made. I had a moment of panic when I saw this reference to stainless steel:

I think it must be an error. I grabbed the last one I bought, clearly of recent manufacture, and less than 5 minutes of exposure to brown mustard resulted in this:

Yikes!
OKAPI or KUDU?
If the latter, I need to get some brown mustard. :)

Maynard Ferguson. I played trumpet in jazz bands in high school during the early 1970s, and Maynard Ferguson was my favorite. Seen him 3 or 4 times, and he even did a seminar at our high school, so I got to "dig" him up close!
Most excellent that you played trumpet in the Jazz Band. 🤠 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Even more excellent that you got to work with somebody you admired so much.
My son plays Tuba in concert bands and marching bands. He was excited to be able to take classes and lessons from his tuba god when he went to college.
George Strait, John. 20-something times.
Holy smokes, 20 times is a lot.
But George Straight is really awesome and worth it... a class act!

Dylan, six times, mostly during the last 25 years, just once during the ‘60s. Not a huge fan, but he comes around a lot and there always seems to be someone who wants to go. It’s sort of obligatory in Minnesota. We spend a lot of time out on Highway 61.

Gogol Bordello, Ukrainian gypsy punk rockers, five times. My enthusiasm peaked around 2013, but they were in town last month and my sweetie took me as as early birthday present.

Rolloin Stones, four times, maybe five. The ‘70s are a little blurry. The first time was at Big Reggie’s Danceland in Excelsior, MN in 1964. Not a good show, attended by under 300. We were not well primed for this one. I had not even listened to “England’s newest hit makers”, or even “America’s newest Hit Makers”, the UK version released earlier.

Nick Cave and Motorhead

When I first saw Motorhead in Germany in the 70s I lost my hearing for 2 days.
I was driving for that gig,we took turns.
We where young squaddies,the others wanted to go down Hanover's red light district.
So I drove then down we went in a dodgy looking bar and Lemmy was sitting at the end.
We where to young, shy and in awe to speak to him,I still regret it.

Dylan, six times, mostly during the last 25 years, just once during the ‘60s. Not a huge fan, but he comes around a lot and there always seems to be someone who wants to go. It’s sort of obligatory in Minnesota. We spend a lot of time out on Highway 61.

Gogol Bordello, Ukrainian gypsy punk rockers, five times. My enthusiasm peaked around 2013, but they were in town last month and my sweetie took me as as early birthday present.

Rolloin Stones, four times, maybe five. The ‘70s are a little blurry. The first time was at Big Reggie’s Danceland in Excelsior, MN in 1964. Not a good show, attended by under 300. We were not well primed for this one. I had not even listened to “England’s newest hit makers”, or even “America’s newest Hit Makers”, the UK version released earlier.
Sheesh I would have loved to have seen the Stones in those days.

King's X. I think I've seen them four or five times. Due to technical problems, one of their gigs was about an hour late on a really cold night, so Doug Pinnick (the singer and bassist) came out and walked down the whole long waiting line, personally apologizing for the delay, thanking everyone for being there, and giving everybody in line one of their bumper stickers. They have always been really good about hanging around after a show, signing things, posing for photos, chatting, etc., but coming out ahead of the delayed show impressed me.

Old Crow Medicine Show, seven times (I think). The first time I tried to see them was at a little place in Fayetteville, AR called George’s Majestic Lounge. I was 20 at the time, and at some point between when I bought the tickets and the date of the show, they changed it from 18+ to 21+, and I couldn’t get in. I was… not happy. 🙄

They used to come back and play George’s pretty regularly back then, so I did eventually get to see ‘em there two or three times. Then I saw them several times while we lived in Arizona, and once so far here in Minnesota (on my birthday a couple years ago).

A couple weeks ago I was supposed to see them again down in Arkansas at the FreshGrass Festival. It was a two day festival, and they were the Friday night headliners. My friend and I got there early and were standing right on the rail in front of the stage. Steep Canyon Rangers were playing first, and right before they came on, someone came out and announced that somebody with Old Crow had tested positive for COVID and they wouldn’t be playing. So that was pretty disappointing.

JohnDF JohnDF , what we need is a Deadhead or Phishhead to check in, if they remember.

I think a lot of those folks were at that same festival to see the Saturday night headliner, Billy Strings. It was very… aromatic. 🤣

I like music, but I haven't been to very many concerts, and I don't think I've seen any performer more than once.
EXCEPT, I've attended shows by Kool Ray and the Polaroidz probably 4 or 5 times, all at The Stabilizer, a college bar in West Lafayette IN when I attended Purdue. They were a Midwest band that played covers of classic rock 'n roll (Kinks, The Who, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Roy Orbison, Marvin Gaye, Robert Palmer, etc.), mostly at weekend bar gigs in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Always a great time!

kool.ray.jpg

- GT

Last edited:
I have only seen a couple of bands twice. But I think one of the most memorable shows I ever saw was the Motels back in the 80s. Also one time I saw an impromptu session at the Baked Potato in Hollywood with Steve Lukather and Jeff Picaro from Toto play with Will Lee (Dave letterman band) and a fellow named Castro from the yellowjackets. Amazing time. Felt lucky to be there.

David Grisman. My wife's brother played bass in his various ensembles for many years, so we would go when they visited a So Cal venue. Very laid back people.

iu

A more recent pic
david-grisman-quintet-566862de-6ce7-4076-a8d5-c3f5e9d6a0c-resize-750.jpeg

Back