"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I'm sorry for you. Thing seem to get straighten out in time though. For now, we're here and so are your knives. Be strong my friend!

That sucks what happened. Maybe a lonely heart is better than a broken heart? At least you guys dealt with it practically and its cool that you both are still friends and don't hate each other. My girlfriend of 9 yrs and I just had a major major fight and I'm glad we managed to work things out, almost split up too so I feel you man. Time will heal your pain. And of course knife shopping too.:) Hang in there dude.

It's okay to lose your heart - just don't lose your dignity !! Be interesting to see where you are at this time next year......!!

You know, I've been divorced for a long time and I've come to believe that there are those that only look at themselves as a couple and there are men who can stand alone. Its wonderful to share life with a great girl, its also fine to be secure enough to be alone. Being friends is good.

the numbness following a breakup can last a long time . i remember on two relations that went south that at times i woke up with night sweats. only time can fix it & while you are in this state it's really impossible to feel much for another woman.work your butt off at your occupation & in your leisure time, the worst thing is sitting at home & dwelling on the past.

I think buying a new slipjoint will make you feel a little better. Make it a nice one. :) You'll always look at the knife as the day you drew a line in the sand and stepped over it.

Hey guys thanks for all the kind words. It really does make me feel better. It doesn't seem as bad as it dis last night though it is still hard. I'll be taking all your advice. I appreciate it alot. I really do.

Know how you feel, only time will help. I am going through the same thing right now. It stinks, but was the right (only) thing to do.

Oh man, I'ved lived through too many of those, it can a drag. If it was mutual it might be a little easier than a more one sided decision that someone agreed to. Good luck either way. Sounds like a new "Break-up Old Timer" might be in order. Hang tough.

I had also noticed all the give-aways going on and I'm amazed at the generosity of all the folks here. What a great group of guys!:thumbup:

On to the important stuff: I used to smoke cigars a lot more than I do now, but I really want to get off the cigarettes and I'm thinking maybe cigar smoking might help. That may be faulty logic, but it wouldn't be the first time! I have a large Igloo cooler full of cigars (poor man's humidor). I've never had a Cuban yet, but I do tend to like the stronger tasting ones.

As far as liquor goes: I don't drink any more. Of course, I don't drink any less, either. :rimshot:

Nothing goes better with a cigar than a cognac (my last bottle of Remy has gone woefully unreplaced- I need to fix that) or possibly a glass of Port.

For some knife content:
I have this picture saved to my hard drive, and I have some questions. What is the official name of this pattern? Equal end 3 blade cattle knife, maybe? Is there one similar available currently in a production model? It will probably a few years before I can justify spending on a custom, but this is my current idea of perfection in pocketknives. The combination of blades, the shape of the handle, and of course the beautiful swedges and scales that owe to Mr. Erickson's craftsmanship.

I'm not sure who the owner is, I just saved the picture at some point, but it sure is pretty.

Attachments

• cattle1.jpg
    cattle1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 426
I think that many of us been there and for most things has straightened out. Id say be open to life and it gives opportunitys, bouth to things that bring joy and to new relations for those who wants them. Important thing to remember is that love is a feeling from your own body, soul and mind and a person trying to live a loving life will find that feeling and a person afraid of being dissapointed will find dissapointment. Its a matter of focus. and sometimes people find together again. Sharing the feelings is a good way to prosess the sorrow.

Bosse

Corey, it hurts but we all go through it at some point. It's almost a rite of passage.

Doesn't make it hurt less but it's just part of the growth process. You'll be a stronger and better man for it though you'll still feel the hurt for a while.

I'll be sending you a knife today. Small consolation, I know, but let it represent the good wishes of your friends on the forum.

For some knife content:
I have this picture saved to my hard drive, and I have some questions. What is the official name of this pattern? Equal end 3 blade cattle knife, maybe? Is there one similar available currently in a production model? It will probably a few years before I can justify spending on a custom, but this is my current idea of perfection in pocketknives. The combination of blades, the shape of the handle, and of course the beautiful swedges and scales that owe to Mr. Erickson's craftsmanship.

I'm not sure who the owner is, I just saved the picture at some point, but it sure is pretty.

Steve,

That is my knife. I'm truly gratified to learn of your appreciation for it. :thumbup::cool:

A few years ago I talked with Ken Erickson about doing a cattle knife and he wasn't particularly enthused with the idea. I think (at the time) he thought the pattern sort of ho-hum and bland. Fast forward a year or two and Ken contacted me and asked if I was still interested.

During that period he had come to appreciate some of the nuances of the equal-end knife.

So, when we got together on this project, I told him that I wanted to replace the spey blade with a small but functional clip blade and that I wanted the jigged bone scales to have an "antique" look like on some of the older Imperial knives I have from the 30's to 40's.

Well, Ken nailed it. It was as if he read my mind and created exactly what I was looking for in a cattle knife.

You can see my Erickson knives and many of the others he's made in this Ken Erickson Retrospective thread I started some time back.

It really makes me happy that so many folks seem to be enamored of that knife as it represents a great collaboration with Ken, who is a close buddy, and epitomizes (to me) what the traditional knife and cutler's art are all about.

Neat idea. Heck, if there's enough interest/traffic/posts, maybe it can be a sub-Forum in the Traditional section.

Oh yeah, any Porter/Stout drinkers? That's what I usually like with my cigar, although some Bourbon works, too.

Neat idea. Heck, if there's enough interest/traffic/posts, maybe it can be a sub-Forum in the Traditional section.

Robb, well, I guess we'll take it one step at a time for now. When I presented the idea to Gus yesterday I wasn't sure if he'd be enthusiastic about it but as usual he jumped in alongside me with both feet. (If there's a better friend to co-moderate a forum with I can't imagine who it might be. :cool:)

Anyway, your idea is something we will definitely consider but I think we just need to see how this little experiment works out.

What I think both of us don't want to see is this thread become bastardized (sorry Gus, couldn't help it) by an influx of "outsiders" looking to turn it into something it isn't. So we'll rely on you all to be the eyes and ears in keeping things within "Traditional Forum" community values.

Thanks to all of you guys and gals who make all of this work. :thumbup:

I've been smoking a good bit fewer cigars than I used to, but still to love to light one up from time to time. I prefer to smoke alone at night on my patio or, before our dog died, during an evening stroll around the neighborhood with him. If I'm not walking, my absolute favorite drink with a good cigar is a cup of strong coffee. Top-shelf anejo rum will also work. And of course a good Scotch or bourbon gets the job done just fine.

I prefer to cut the end off a cigar with a razor sharp slipjoint knife, and then light it very slowly with one of those gas-jet torch lights or maybe a long wood match. I don't call myself a cigar snob (for instance, despite living where I can get Cubans easily, I often smoke Dominicans since they're cheaper), but I definitely shudder at the thought of someone gnawing the cap off a fine cigar, torching it up with a Zippo and furiously puffing away while guzzling a can of Coors. :grumpy:

Well, after getting some last minute cookout necessities on Saturday, I stopped at the local True Value to get some electrical fence wire (ended up being cheaper at Tractor Supply Company). I had to just stop and see which Case knives were left in the display case.

One single, lonely amber stag canoe on the board. I think it needs a home! Or maybe a sales associate just needs to restock the display case ;). There were a couple Buck slipjoints and Vic SAKs to keep it company. CV steel too.

Used my Opinel (I don't even look at any other knife when I get home) in the garden this weekend, and am still amazed at how I could get such a great little knife for so small an amount of money. I am tempted to get the set, and give some away as gifts. I think my father would like that pruner.

I just got a blue swirl handle recent Case stockman, and a brown bone Case peanut in a trade. Curse these ham hocks that are my hands! I really like the peanut, but it is too small for me! It has great snap too!

I have all but quit smoking cigars. Back before the current cigar craze good cigars were relatively cheap and good. Now you have so many of these new makers all competing for the top quality tobaccos that it has driven price up and quality down.

Damn yuppies...

Back