"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I have all but quit smoking cigars. Back before the current cigar craze good cigars were relatively cheap and good. Now you have so many of these new makers all competing for the top quality tobaccos that it has driven price up and quality down.

Damn yuppies...

Am I the only person out there who stops by the local cigar shop to pick up a pack of Swisher Sweets for my buddy?:D

CI-PDI-AMMTPKZ-400.jpg

De_Nobili_Longs.jpg

(What memories those stinkers bring back...:p Still can enjoy one every now and again, though. Keeps me connected to the old neighborhood.)

Anyway, your idea is something we will definitely consider but I think we just need to see how this little experiment works out.

What I think both of us don't want to see is this thread become bastardized (sorry Gus, couldn't help it) by an influx of "outsiders" looking to turn it into something it isn't. So we'll rely on you all to be the eyes and ears in keeping things within "Traditional Forum" community values.

Thanks to all of you guys and gals who make all of this work. :thumbup:

Kerry just be sure not to make this place TOO COMFORTABLE, otherwise guys like Kerry will be in here all day slacking off when they should be making knives! :D

I have all but quit smoking cigars. Back before the current cigar craze good cigars were relatively cheap and good. Now you have so many of these new makers all competing for the top quality tobaccos that it has driven price up and quality down.

Damn yuppies...

Boy, isn't that the truth. I got into them not too long ago (Early 90's), but it was before the "Cigar boom".

As for Guiness, it'll work, but I like Beamish Stout when I can find it & Murphy's Stout. Young's (I think) Oatmeal Stout's not bad & believe it or not, their Double Chocolate Stout's not bad, either, despite the name.

Kerry just be sure not to make this place TOO COMFORTABLE, otherwise guys like Kerry will be in here all day slacking off when they should be making knives! :D

What's with this Kerry fixation? Who's this guy Kerry, anyway? ;):p

No smoking and drinking for me anymore but I have to say that all this cigar and cognac talk in Carl's Lounge kind of makes me uncomfortable. ;)

Back in the day I leaned more toward -

untitled-1.jpg

Rob,

I started with Camel's back in my teens. Smoked 'em for years, pretty much through college and maybe a bit later. I can only imagine the buzz I'd get now if I lit one up. :p

(We have access to pretty good corn whiskey in this part of the world. It's a nice occasional treat.)

Awe shucks Rob.

I am from 10-uh-C orginally.

DSCF1060M.JPG.w560h747.jpg

bottle3.jpg

moonshine_bottle_canvas_print-p228718895406964655cvaq_210.jpg

Camels na but we got rabbit tobakee so make yourself at home and sit a spell.

Rabbit%20Tobacco4.JPG

bottle3.jpg

When Gus was growing up, they just told him it was milk...

...and you wonder how he got mixed up with all them goats! :eek::p

The things those poor goats put up with:

goat+detroit.jpg

hey bastid great pic , in the 50s in east texas there was a small zoo across the highway from my aunts. we used to give a black bear sodas & he would chug them down as long as we bought them. yes i loved those Parodi cigars also, & never found a whiskey to top Jameson's 18 year old.

yes i loved those Parodi cigars also, & never found a whiskey to top Jameson's 18 year old.

Good man, Dennis! :thumbup:

I've got an unopened bottle of Irish Whiskey in the cabinet. May have to look into it one of these days soon...

Good man, Dennis! :thumbup:

I've got an unopened bottle of Irish Whiskey in the cabinet. May have to look into it one of these days soon...

Just how does a bottle of whiskey remain unopened? :confused:

More importanly, why?

Just how does a bottle of whiskey remain unopened? :confused:

More importanly, why?

I guess I'm growing up, Carl. :p

I'm not the hellion I was in earlier years and for many years never even kept liquor (only beer) in the house. Drinking was an activity done outside the home.

But now that we live in the country, it's nice having a few bottles on hand for the occasional drink without having to drive to one of our pubs in town. (And risking a sobriety checkpoint. Yep, even "Mayberry" has 'em these days...And no, I'm not in Mt. Airy...;))

Maybe we'll crack that one in your honor this evening, Carl. :cool:

(Oh, and the main reason it hasn't been opened is that we've been working on a bottle of Elijah Craig (12 year old bourbon.)

Corey, I have been lucky enough not to have to go through what you have. However, my oldest son has. Time will heal the wounds but won't make you forget. Be certain though that your soulmate is out there looking for you and you will find her.

Take care folks and may God bless.

EJ

(Oh, and the main reason it hasn't been opened is that we've been working on a bottle of Elijah Craig (12 year old bourbon.)

In that case, I say you're excused! ;)

I have two unopened bottles of whisky here, but I won't tell you how many others ARE open, unless you come by for a drink-- then you can see any or all of them!

In that case, I say you're excused! ;)

I have two unopened bottles of whisky here, but I won't tell you how many others ARE open, unless you come by for a drink-- then you can see any or all of them!

The same invitation applies to you, Jeff. :thumbup::cool:

Rabbit tobacco:

I quit smoking in junior high because of that stuff. I couldn't get cigarettes and only occasionally could get some cigarette papers. So we usually smoked rabbit tobacco in home made corn cob pipes.

One time we got the idea to "cure" some rabbit tobacco rather than just strip the dried leaves off of the plant, so we pulled some up and hung it up in an old chicken house to dry. Now that stuff would make you dizzy as a sewer rat.

Oh, and our "rabbit tobacco" weed doesn't look like the plant in Bastid's post above. If I can get a picture of some, I'll post it here. And no, it isn't MJ either.

EJ

Back