"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

bugbaffler.gif

I believe they do gloves too! :eek: Glad to hear you're OK Barrett, hope the spinal taps weren't as painful as Spinal Tap :eek: ;) :thumbsup:

tap_break.jpg

Our deer gun season opens Aug 15 in the Lowcountry. If you want to see clouds of mosquitos, there's no better place to be than in a pine tree at dusk. The only thing besides gallons of 100% Deet that was effective were Bug Tamers, a mesh garment.

Last edited:
For those of you who live in the States who are 62 and over, it has come to my attention (that means my wife told me) that the National Park Service is about to dramatically increase the cost of senior lifetime passes. Currently $10. New price starting on Aug 28 is $80.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/17/this-national-park-pass-just-got-a-700-percent-price-hike.html

If you don't already have a pass, you might think about getting one now. I'm going to.

Already have one Frank but great heads up for us old f--ts. :thumbsup:

I saw this on the news as well Frank. My wife and I already have our passes luckily. I have a brother in law that works for the NPS mostly in Alaska where he and my sister live, but he does fill in at other locations around the country from time to time. We have taken advantage of his travels in the past to get the insider tours. :D

For those of you who live in the States who are 62 and over, it has come to my attention (that means my wife told me) that the National Park Service is about to dramatically increase the cost of senior lifetime passes. Currently $10. New price starting on Aug 28 is $80.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/17/this-national-park-pass-just-got-a-700-percent-price-hike.html

If you don't already have a pass, you might think about getting one now. I'm going to.
First they take away the SS 'file and suspend' provision from us near golden agers (I'm 59:D), and now this. Criminey, what next?

First they take away the SS 'file and suspend' provision from us near golden agers (I'm 59:D), and now this. Criminey, what next?

You can still file and suspend. The new provision applies to those under 62, when the SSA can't determine your benefit amount.

You can still file and suspend. The new provision applies to those under 62, when the SSA can't determine your benefit amount

As one that receives a SSI check deposited in my account each month I can tell you from first hand experience the amount you receive is not very much. I never made a lot of money but decent enough to support us and live comfortably but still felt I had to build spec houses on the side. However had I not saved for 40 years and had a decent retirement plan where I worked I would not have a knife to talk about now. In fact I wouldn't be posting here at all because I couldn't afford a computer or internet service. SSI is not enough money to retire on.

I'm crossing my fingers that USPS can get they're stuff together in the next couple days. I have a Priority Mail package containing a couple knives that was shipped from Oklahoma on Tuesday of last week (8/8). Original estimated delivery date was Friday (8/11). Since Wednesday (8/9) it has apparently been doing circles around St. Louis. Seriously, it has arrived in and departed from St. Louis at least once a day (sometimes multiple times a day) for the last six days.

I've tried calling (estimated hold time is usually at least an hour; I tried calling yesterday morning and the estimated hold time was "2 hours 5 minutes to 2 hours 8 minutes" :eek:), finally spoke to an agent Monday who started an inquiry, and also managed to get a response using Twitter this morning, but neither have resulted in anything actually being resolved yet.

Normally I wouldn't be all that worried about it (assuming it does eventually arrive), but we're leaving for vacation on Friday, and I was really hoping this package would get here before then (which is seeming less and less likely).

Hope you get your package in time Barrett :thumbsup: That's a shocking hold time :eek: :mad:

Well, apparently the package was just waiting for me to complain about it publically. Half an hour after I posted that, the tracking was updated and said it had arrived in Phoenix, and this morning it arrived at the local PO, so barring any other weirdness, I should get it today. :) :thumbsup:

Well, apparently the package was just waiting for me to complain about it publically. Half an hour after I posted that, the tracking was updated and said it had arrived in Phoenix, and this morning it arrived at the local PO, so barring any other weirdness, I should get it today. :) :thumbsup:

:D :thumbsup:

The squeaky wheel gets the grease-glad you finally got some positive input:thumbsup:

Back