"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Randy, thank you for the update, and Bob, I'm glad you were able to stop in for a bit. I'm so sorry to hear that your health has taken a bad turn. I will certainly keep you and your family in my thoughts, and if there's anything that any of us here can do to help you or your family out, please don't hesitate to ask. Try to keep your head up, cherish the time with your family, and know that your Porch family is here for you. :thumbsup:

I would like to thank all my friends and family here on the Porch for all the kindness, thoughts, prayers, support and love you have shown me during my stay here. My health really took a fast turn for the worse several weeks ago. My doctors have been able to stabilize things on a temporary basis, but there's not a lot they can do for me now. I fear my battle is coming to an end sooner than I had hoped. My grandson has another year left of high school after this year. I really wanted to see him graduate.
We are in a wait and see mode for a little while regarding hospice care, but we know that's coming soon so we're researching that. I am in constant pain and extremely weak all the time now. Hence my absence here recently. Just know that the friendships I've made here bring me so much comfort and contentment each and every day. I love all of you.
I'm ready for the next chapter, but I ask that you think and pray for my family. They are really doing a great job taking care of me. I will try to pop in from time to time when I'm up to it. I may be passing on some good deals on some of my knives soon. I won't be needing them as I travel to my new destination.
Thank you again for everything. Much love to all. :(:)

Thanks for calling in here Bob, that's very sad news my friend :( I am glad that you have your family around you, as you do here. Hoping you can find some comfort, and rest easy. I'm sure many here are lost for words, as I am...:( :thumbsup:

Jack

Thinking positive thoughts for you and the family Bob and thank you for keeping us updated.

All our love, Paul and jan.

Just catching up here after being away from screens over the weekend and as a result, my Monday just got more depressing. :(

So many folks are affected by cancer, including many of us here, it is a horrible disease that I wish could be eradicated with extreme prejudice. @BigBiscuit Bob, I feel I came along too late to truly get to know you via these forums but the amount of respect, support, and love shown for you here on the Porch is enough to demonstrate how much of an impact you have had here. I know I have always enjoyed your contributions here, your photography is always superb, your taste in knives is beyond reproach, and your sense of humor, despite the obvious pain you endure, has been notable.

Thoughts and prayers from my wife and I, not only for you but your family as well.

Have to agree totally with this!

And not just the kids, but the parents I see are just as bad. There's at least two generations now that can't operate without their magic box that tells them where they are, and were to go. Basic map reading let alone any sense of direction or common sense is vanishing from the landscape.

American is being turned into a nanny state, with the nanny being the smart phone. A knife? Perish the thought!!!

I think it's a safe bet that cell phones are responsible for far more injury and death than are pocket knives, given all the texting while driving. (Not to mention the dopes who walk into things while staring at their screens catching up on social media.:confused:)

I think it's a safe bet that cell phones are responsible for far more injury and death than are pocket knives, given all the texting while driving. (Not to mention the dopes who walk into things while staring at their screens catching up on social media.:confused:)

In the last five years, I've personally known two individual who were killed while on their motorcycle by being head on by an idiot texting. The last one was just last year, a guy named Ron was riding his Honda Valkyrie on a sunny Saturday morning and a drive er in a Ford F150, texting away, crossed the center line and killed him. Ron was way over on the shoulder of the road trying to avoid him.

In spite of four witnesses, the driver has a layer and pleaded not guilty and his layer has go two continuances so far. The case drags on....

Last edited:
Bob, while I haven't been around here long enough to really get to know you, your good reputation precedes you. But, every time I look at your avatar and forum name I smile and imagine a gentle giant. All the best!

In the last five years, I've personally known two individual who were killed while on their motorcycle by being hothead on by an idiot texting. The last one was just last year, a guy named Ron was riding his Honda Valkyrie on a sunny Saturday morning and a drive er in a Ford F150, texting away, crossed the center line and killed him. Ron was way over on the shoulder of the road trying to avoid him.

In spite of four witnesses, the driver has a layer and pleaded not guilty and his layer has go two continuances so far. The case drags on....
Man, that's tough luck Jack. We lost a great person a few years back. She was knocked off her bike into a roadside ditch outside town while training for a duathalon. A witness pulled up to see the driver on her phone instead of comforting my friend, who later died in the ER. The driver's claims to the contrary, phone records showed she was not calling 911, but deleting her texts she'd been sending when the incident occurred. Got off with probation and community service instead of a manslaughter conviction. (Just don't get me going on drunk driving....)

Bob, I'm glad you were able to check in here. I hope that you are able to do that again from time to time for many months to come. I'll say a prayer for you and your family.

Bob, you have imprinted me with a fine image of a generous and caring man!
I wish you relief from your pain, and joy in your loving family!!
See you in a few years - on a different plane!!
:)

Bob, you have imprinted me with a fine image of a generous and caring man!
I wish you relief from your pain, and joy in your loving family!!
See you in a few years - on a different plane!!
:)

dont you dare Charlie. there was a small joke at the rendezvous about the young man who turned up last year and you gave him a knife and he turned up this year coin in hand ready to receive. i forgot who had said it, but we reckoned that kid would turn up in his thirties coin in hand waiting for you.

I don't pop in here all that often as I have my regular threads I follow when I hop on the traditional forum. Bob is my buddy/friend as is he to so MANY here. We have commonalities we share and one I treasure is our love of New England Patriot football. We text every week back n forth during pre and regular season games. They aren't televised in my local to often but Bob is diligent with his updates so my son's and I are kept up to speed. Many times we type almost identical texts when we both get the game, GRONK!!! is a common text we share as well as Tommy!!! or "In Bill we trust" we share an occasional phone call from time to time and I regret my not calling you more often Bob. Know this as I have told Bob this. I have broad shoulders and would carry his pain if at all possible and pray that I could do that in some way, shape of form. He is a true friend, a fighter and a flat out GOOD MAN. I am blessed by your friendship Bob, I pray daily for you and I LOVE YOU BROTHER!!! We are ALL here and if you need Anything please tell us as we will do all that we can possibly do for you or your family:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I don't pop in here all that often as I have my regular threads I follow when I hop on the traditional forum. Bob is my buddy/friend as is he to so MANY here. We have commonalities we share and one I treasure is our love of New England Patriot football. We text every week back n forth during pre and regular season games. They aren't televised in my local to often but Bob is diligent with his updates so my son's and I are kept up to speed. Many times we type almost identical texts when we both get the game, GRONK!!! is a common text we share as well as Tommy!!! or "In Bill we trust" we share an occasional phone call from time to time and I regret my not calling you more often Bob. Know this as I have told Bob this. I have broad shoulders and would carry his pain if at all possible and pray that I could do that in some way, shape of form. He is a true friend, a fighter and a flat out GOOD MAN. I am blessed by your friendship Bob, I pray daily for you and I LOVE YOU BROTHER!!! We are ALL here and if you need Anything please tell us as we will do all that we can possibly do for you or your family:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Paul, Bob thinks a lot of you also my friend I know you and I have talked about your text during games but Bob also talks about it. here is a cut and paste of the first line from a PM Bob sent me a couple of days ago Thought you might want to know the feeling is mutual. You are both great guys and great friends.

"Hi Randy. Paul is also a very good friend. He had texted me as he usually does when the Patriots are playing and we chat back and forth about the games"

Back