Carothers and Guns

I went by yesterday to pay off the rest of the balance and to pick up the S&W due to the mandatory CA 10 days BGC purgatory:

RL54OLr.jpg

Foe the faint of heart, not loaded but just snap caps which is just how Uncle Matty rolls :D

CDKuqCk.jpg

I'll be putting the suppled Houge scales on this SSR instead as I intend to just rather "train" with .375 than .38:

Ud6gZhH.jpg

Lastly, the factory front sights are good for daylight but I can't see shyte in low light because of aging and waning eyesights. Anyone recommend HiViz or whatevs?

I went by yesterday to pay off the rest of the balance and to pick up the S&W due to the mandatory CA 10 days BGC purgatory:

RL54OLr.jpg

Foe the faint of heart, not loaded but just snap caps which is just how Uncle Matty rolls :D

CDKuqCk.jpg

I'll be putting the suppled Houge scales on this SSR instead as I intend to just rather "train" with .375 than .38:

Ud6gZhH.jpg

Lastly, the factory front sights are good for daylight but I can't see shyte in low light because of aging and waning eyesights. Anyone recommend HiViz or whatevs?

:thumbsup: Nice revolver Mat! I can recommend the HiViz, they really helped me with my GP100. I prefer the green over the orange in low light.

Nice!

Personally on a pistol that classy I'd go for the gold bead front site. Admittedly not as high vis as a fiber optic site but in low light both will catch some light and neither perform as well as Tritium. You can get Tritium as well. I'd recommend proper fitting by a gun smith. I have one on my 327 TRR8 and they are very nice.

SDM Gold Bead Front Site

I have also seen other colors of inserts made that allow you to push out the current one and slide in a different color, but it was not something I wanted so I have not looked into them.

Chad, thanks for the input and the lead :thumbsup: Apart from changing over the supplied hard plastic scales. I may just keep it original till it & when it becomes an out in the boonies kinda MUST carry!

I’ve been looking it over very very carefully and although Aim a complete novice when it comes to wheel guns, I don’t see any glaring cosmetic or workmanship flaws like some nightmare stories I’ve been reading online. Phew!

Nice!

Personally on a pistol that classy I'd go for the gold bead front site. Admittedly not as high vis as a fiber optic site but in low light both will catch some light and neither perform as well as Tritium. You can get Tritium as well. I'd recommend proper fitting by a gun smith. I have one on my 327 TRR8 and they are very nice.

SDM Gold Bead Front Site

I have also seen other colors of inserts made that allow you to push out the current one and slide in a different color, but it was not something I wanted so I have not looked into them.

I agree Chad, the gold sights are pretty classy. Some times I regret not getting those for my deep blued and hard chromed 1911. I went with the tritium. I find the HiViz green easier to spot than the tritium in low light when it’s not really dark. However, I put some Meprolight tritium on my SP101, and they are still going strong for about 10 years now.

Last edited:

RL54OLr.jpg

CDKuqCk.jpg

Ud6gZhH.jpg

Although fiber optic sights will be the most visible they generally don’t give as fine of a sight picture. If you’re looking to shoot teeny tiny groups you may be unsatisfied with them, that said, I don’t find it to be a problem-yet. 5 more years and my aging eyes may not be so forgiving.
Tritium will still allow for a nice sight picture during the day and allow you to see them at night. Even though I have tritium on all of my pistols that I use/carry, I find that the tritium washes out the second I turn on enough light to actually see what that shadow in the dark really is. Your mileage may vary on that. Some find it useful, some don’t. I find piece of mind in having them wether they make a difference or not and I just think tritium is cool.
On S&W wheel guns I like the Trijicon dot. It’s relatively inexpensive and will glow for at least 12 years.
Congrats on the new gun.

Another vote for tritium, especially if the pistol might ever be used defensively (whether it's defense against a person, or a bear in the woods).

My preference is for tritium with a white ring around the tritium vial. I found it to be the most consistently fast in transitional/varied lighting conditions (which proved to be the most problematic in that regard) doing low light stuff.

Eg. In a varied lighting environment where the gun and sights are in shadow, there's light in the foreground causing my pupils to contract, enough light to positively ID the target but the target is wearing black/dark clothing. Non-illuminated sights disappear against the dark clothing.

At that point, it's down to muscle memory and point shooting, even with a fiber optic front (not enough light to illuminate it).

Same kind of thing could potentially happen with a bear with black/dark fur in varied/transitional lighting.

In transitional lighting though, I've also encountered an issue that slowed me down a bit, using tritium sights without the white ring, where lighting that was overhead/slightly behind interfered with centering the front post due to reflection/glare off the sight, so the dot disappeared. With the white-ringed tritium style, the tritium dots are visible if the sights are in shadow/low ligh, while any amount of light hitting the sights makes the white ring very easy to see. YMMV.

Thank you all for the recommendations of something tritium. As it happens, I found the 3 dot factory sights on my CZ 75 P-01 one of its week features in addition to the rubber grips and the factory trigger. I'm still waiting for that CZ to come back to my selling gun dealer from their gunsmith's as I elected to go with the Meprolite tritium 3-dot kinda similar to what comes on CZ Shadow from the factory (note that I stated similar, not identical ;) ). I didn't like TruGlo which seems to be quite popular. I'll look at what Trijicon has to offer but a bit more down the road as now it's time to set aside some $$$ for Nathan/Jo/DEK1 :D

If you practice enough muscle memory and point shooting are amazingly effective at self defensive distances.
Try shooting a local IDPA match or two for practice, It really works great for your confidence.
BTW great wheelgun.
Absolutely.

I can do A-zone out to 15yds (point shooting), but at 25yds, not so much.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the recommendations of something tritium. As it happens, I found the 3 dot factory sights on my CZ 75 P-01 one of its week features in addition to the rubber grips and the factory trigger. I'm still waiting for that CZ to come back to my selling gun dealer from their gunsmith's as I elected to go with the Meprolite tritium 3-dot kinda similar to what comes on CZ Shadow from the factory (note that I stated similar, not identical ;) ). I didn't like TruGlo which seems to be quite popular. I'll look at what Trijicon has to offer but a bit more down the road as now it's time to set aside some $$$ for Nathan/Jo/DEK1 :D
I've tried/used Meprolight, Trijicon, TruGlo and Night Fision. The Meprolight tritium sights I used didn't have the white ring.

Both Trijicon and Night Fision have sights with a very distinct polymer (not painted) ring, although I'm not sure if they specifically offer those for 686 sights.

As discussed above, training muscle memory for point shooting is always a good thing, but the range of engagement will affect accuracy, and that's even before accounting for adrenaline and duress under defensive use.

Hey CPK & Guns thread-millers :D

What is your, for lack of a better phrase, "trasher" gun? The one which you absolutely rely on but don't care much about getting nicks and scratches? I'm not talking about stupid stuff like dropping it or laying around or the sorta negligent stuff which I believe NO ONE on here practices, but talking about the one which you do not trick out or spend a lot of $ on accessorizing. The one that you maintain religiously but are not bothered with the cosmetics, everyday wear & tear.

The reason I ask is because I'm considering some options after my CA 30 days prohibition from the last handgun period is up. I have all the nice ones which I wanted for now so the only one and the last one to get is the one which will fit my above criteria and one that when we go to the range, I'd also let my Brother to practice with (he won't be allowed to touch my nicer ones, LOL). So my strongest contender for this one void is currently a Sig Sauer SP2022 which retails for low 5's here or the one with the upgraded Sig nightsights which retails in the high 5's or low 6's (the latter is harder to get locally so has to be ordered). I'm going to stick with 9mm since it shares platform with my CZ P-01 because I don't like to excessively convolute the ammo platform. I've looked at M&P shield / Glock 19 platforms but me-no-likey! I'm going to be sticking with DA/SA.

My Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Spl fills this role for me. It's certainly no S&W as far as the trigger goes, but the trigger smooths out quite a bit after some dry-firing. I'd had one of the original stainless ones back in the '70s, but traded it on a Colt 1911. But I always kind of missed it, so my son got me one of the current models, and it's a very good revolver for the price point, and if it gets stolen out of my truck, it's not like losing one of my S&W pre-lock N-frames.

Back