CF TGLB owners: Anyone experience this with their CF blade?

mamun1024

Gold Member
This is how it looked when I got this in the first week of August:

<<pic removed, I inadvertently replaced this picture with the new picture after it was back from the shop.>>

This is how I found it this morning. The blade is unused, and has been in its Spec Ops sheath for about 1.5 months since I last saw it. :mad::mad::mad:

Busse-TGLB-Misc1.JPG

Busse-TGLB-Misc2.JPG

Busse-TGLB-Misc3.JPG

Busse-TGLB-Misc4.JPG

Now what? I'll try some simichrome and see if it'll get the job done....

Last edited:
Baton with it and that should come right off ;)

That sucks Monte, all that tropic humid Minnesota air must have got to it. I'd try Flitz on it first, little less abrasive then simichrome but seems to do great on blades.

Holy bat s***!!

I thought the rust issue was taken care of!

Someone will probably come along to tell us not to store them in the sheaths and to keep them well oiled (I only do this with carbon blades) both of which I think are cop outs in this case.

I'm anxious to see other people's replies and experiences. Thanks for posting those pics!

-Emt1581

Dag gone Monte, that safe queen looks more used than any of your users!!! :p :D

What the hell:eek:

I have 2 of the competition finish TGLB ordered. I hope mine dont end up looking like that:(

Baton with it and that should come right off ;)

That sucks Monte, all that tropic humid Minnesota air must have got to it. I'd try Flitz on it first, little less abrasive then simichrome but seems to do great on blades.

Dag gone Monte, that safe queen looks more used than any of your users!!! :p :D

You two should have been comedians! Don't quit your day job though :D

Should clean up pretty easily. I'm not a fan of CF, so I can't relate, but I've only heard of that ever happnin' to CF & DC. After ya get it cleaned off, wipe it down with a little mineral oil before puttin' it back in the sheath. It's a habit of mine with all my shiny blades, infi or not & I never find rust anymore.

Just an idea out of left field here but what about Barricade? It's actually a clear spray that you apply to blued guns to prevent rust. You just spray it on and wipe it off. Has worked beautifully for me on old guns....

Thoughts?

-Emt1581

My CF Sarsquatch and my CF Hell Razor would look like that if I did not coat them with mineral oil when I got them from Busse. The "Competition Finish", abbreviated CF, concentrates on the cutting edge and leaves what has been called the "decarb" surface layer untouched. This surface layer is very prone to rust. This layer is ground away for a satin finish, removed with grit blast then bead blast for the DCBB finish, and often/usually coated as is for the "budget" Combat Grade finish. It is normal if unsightly. The CF finish gets you an uncoated blade and a great edge for the price of a CG model. You just have to oil it or remove the decarb yourself.
Pete

PLEASE NOTE: The INFI under the decarb layer is as rust resistant as ever. PS

thats fairly common with the cf from what ive seen.i always go w/coated or satin.

You can use mineral oil, gun oil, basically any lube ya want. I just use mineral oil because it's edible & with stuff like food prep, I like the taste of mineral oil over kleenbore any day of the week.

If you plan to use your blade on food, mineral oil is food grade/non-toxic. Don't know that's true of Barricade or any other rust preventative.
Pete

I do have a CGFBM and Hell Razor that are in CF, and have not had this problem. The CGFBM is a user and the HR is not.

I do have Ren Wax at home but didnt think about using it since the other CF blades didnt have the rust issues without using any Ren Wax or Mineral oil.

I just noticed something...

The fuller, which is a DC finish, is also showing rust. That's odd and not something that happened with my DC CGBJ.

You say this was unused?

-Emt1581

My Jackhammer SE has a little rust, but not that much. It's definitely higher maintenance than the rest of my INFI.

Awww.....that would be sweet of you. Everytime you stare at that knife and not use it, you'd think of me :D

Yessir!!!

I just noticed something...

The fuller, which is a DC finish, is also showing rust. That's odd and not something that happened with my DC CGBJ.

You say this was unused?

-Emt1581

It's brand new. The entire blade is CF (fuller isn't DC).

Back