CF TGLB owners: Anyone experience this with their CF blade?

Anyone noticed that the TG in first pic has hand shaped slabs and the one with rust has standard texturing?

OP, you sir are a sneaky one!

Now that you point it out elof - yeah ! The 2 knives look like they have different handle slabs.....

That said my CF got a light spot of rust or 2 after a month by itself. I blame myself for neglecting her ! :)

Can anyone tell me what is the best way to get rid of this decarb? Or even know if its there? I don't mind getting my hands dirty but don't want any rust on my blade, I'm thinking of some fine sandpaper followed by a rub down with some polish?

I'm getting worried, after a few hours of hand finishing the handle on my TGLB I'd hate to have to repeat it every 1.5 months!

If I use it every other day will that stop the original machined texture on the slabs from growing back?

I'm getting worried, after a few hours of hand finishing the handle on my TGLB I'd hate to have to repeat it every 1.5 months!

If I use it every other day will that stop the original machined texture on the slabs from growing back?

???
What handle material do you have?

lol..good point there ! Maybe the pics got mixed up somewhere somehow - maybe there is 2 TGCFs :confused:

That happened to both of mine BUT I am positive they got wet (were in a wet bag / towel).

After a little naval jelly from the local hardware store they're as good as new.

Refer to post #1 and look carefully at the before and after pics with particular attention to the handle.

Sorry, misread your post. See mine at the top of the page :)

I had 2 DC blades that did the same thing one was sent back to the shop and they figure that it was a second hand job by the original owner and they took care of it.
The second was a bwm and I bought that one new so after that I always oil my blades.

There have been times when I've altered the arrangement and names of photos in my online account such that they no longer correspond in a forum post - I am guessing that is what happened here...

In humid areas don't store knife in any kind of sheath & always store knife with light coat of light weight oil on it. This applies to any kind of knife but in particular, high carbon steel knives (INFI).

Knife 101 lesson for the day.:p

I just don't understand why people are STILL so baffled as to why competition finish is cheaper than satin or double cut. Its a lack of surface finishing, so you have decarb.

This is a pretty clear example of a failure to to treat your blade properly. Something like Tuff Glide will work better than straight oil, as its more resistant to coming off.

As far as fixing it...... some people have mentioned scotch brite, some have mentioned naval jelly. My suggestion? Use a chelation agent like Evapo Rust. It'll eat the corrosion without eating everything else. Dunk the blade in it for a while, it'll eat the rust, pull it out, rinse it off, TREAT IT, and you're back in business.

Sorry folks, I should have posted an update to this issue. I did send the knife back to the shop to have the decarb layer taken off and to get hand shaped handles.

The shop did an outstanding job as usual. There is no sign of any rust since it came back few months ago. Here is how it looks now.

Busse-TGLBS-1.JPG

Back