Cloudland Canyon State Park

Not been there in a few years. It was one of our go-to camping sights for Cub Scouts. Also was one of our coldest trips when temps hit in the teens one night - we all earned our polar bear badges. It's maybe a 30 minute drive from the house and I keep meaning to go back for a dayhike. Course all the rain lately is killing my outdoor time.

Great pics & thanks for posting them.

I hear that. We’re sick of the rain!

Mission accomplished! I liked this so much I made my wife scroll through it all. Fantastic job on the post!

We’re heading to a campsite on Friday about 2.5 hrs away from us here in South Texas. We have four dogs, and our two black lab mixes are 15 years old and on their last legs so we’re car camping this time. This might be their last run on the trails so the entire trip is a bit bittersweet. My wife’s birthday is on 28th and that’s always as amazing as she is, but our dogs running down just defeats us some days. But when the time comes we’re sending them off in style, and trips to camp and the beach in Galveston are what they live for, so one more for the books.

Love seeing the BK9 in action and you two camped a perfect spot. Thanks for sharing and I’ll be excited to see more from you!

I’m so glad you both enjoyed it. :)

Sounds like you have a good trip planned, and I’m sure you’ll all have a great time. Our dog is only 3 years old, and it’s hard to imagine facing a time when he gets old.

....We’re heading to a campsite on Friday about 2.5 hrs away from us here in South Texas. We have four dogs, and our two black lab mixes are 15 years old and on their last legs so we’re car camping this time.
When I lived in Texas, we always headed to Southeast OK or Arkansas to camp. But there are some really nice places in Texas. So, where are you headed? The dogs should enjoy the change.

When I lived in Texas, we always headed to Southeast OK or Arkansas to camp. But there are some really nice places in Texas. So, where are you headed? The dogs should enjoy the change.

We'll be spending the weekend in Martin Dies Jr. State Park.

When we got married my wife and I set a goal to see every state park in Texas before we die. We've hit around a dozen in two years. I really enjoy that kind of goal because it requires all forms of camping to to achieve it.

We chose this park this time for two reasons. We really wanted to get the dogs out of Houston for a weekend, but mobility for the older pups is a factor. So we're full on car camping this weekend with minimal hikes. (Just enough to make us all feel like we actually did something.

The second reason is that I received and absolutely MASSIVE tent from my in laws for Christmas. When I say huge, apparently it will fit two queen sized mattresses easily side by side. And while this isn't normally my style of camping, I can't resist the chance to play with a new toy. (I also think my wife probably griped to my in laws about us not camping/hiking much because of the dogs and they decided to do something about it.)

I'm not normally a huge picture guy but this thread was really inspiring so maybe I'll take a bunch of pics and try a post of my own. I'll keep you guys "posted".

We'll be spending the weekend in Martin Dies Jr. State Park.

When we got married my wife and I set a goal to see every state park in Texas before we die. We've hit around a dozen in two years. I really enjoy that kind of goal because it requires all forms of camping to to achieve it.

We chose this park this time for two reasons. We really wanted to get the dogs out of Houston for a weekend, but mobility for the older pups is a factor. So we're full on car camping this weekend with minimal hikes. (Just enough to make us all feel like we actually did something.

The second reason is that I received and absolutely MASSIVE tent from my in laws for Christmas. When I say huge, apparently it will fit two queen sized mattresses easily side by side. And while this isn't normally my style of camping, I can't resist the chance to play with a new toy. (I also think my wife probably griped to my in laws about us not camping/hiking much because of the dogs and they decided to do something about it.)

I'm not normally a huge picture guy but this thread was really inspiring so maybe I'll take a bunch of pics and try a post of my own. I'll keep you guys "posted".

That’s awesome! Can’t wait to see pics! :D

Back