Coffee

I really loved this thread. I actually visited four of what I considered the very best coffee roasters in NYC to find something that I thought might be exotic to Mono!

That said I would love to hear about the Rwanda! I don't want to say what they charged per cup for it, that said I have no idea what it tastes like. Lol. The mystery bag, is a mix of Ethiopian, commercial Vietnamese and beans from my coworker's coffee plantation in Dalat Vietnam! I have a cup of that preground from a French press about once a week! And we make that thick syrupy Vietnamese style coffee with the sweetened condensed milk using the commercial Vietnamese stuff that you have! Enjoy!

Chris, the RWANDA you sent was worth every penny! Pure heaven! I brewed a pot last night.

That mystery bag is going in my press as soon as I get home this afternoon.

My ceramic mug was cooling down my drink too fast so I got these Bodum double wall thermo-glasses.

Nice cups. May have to give them a try myself.
Are you adding oil or is that natural? Asking because I was making a derivative of bulletproof coffee last year and had some great results. Tasty too.
Just had my first cup of the Savoia from my La Columbe delivery today. Delicious blend. Of course the Edwards chocolate pie I had with it brought the experience to another level. :)

Nice cups. May have to give them a try myself.
Are you adding oil or is that natural? Asking because I was making a derivative of bulletproof coffee last year and had some great results. Tasty too.
Just had my first cup of the Savoia from my La Columbe delivery today. Delicious blend. Of course the Edwards chocolate pie I had with it brought the experience to another level. :)

Thanks. Those are the natural oils that are produced. Having a good buzz experimenting with my new toy.

I am waiting to experiment with my La Colombe beans. I will to try to show pics of my Rok vs. Peet's vs. Starbucks clover maker. I have to wait for a day when I can handle that much caffeine.

What is your process for a bulletproof coffee?

Thanks. Those are the natural oils that are produced. Having a good buzz experimenting with my new toy.

I am waiting to experiment with my La Colombe beans. I will to try to show pics of my Rok vs. Peet's vs. Starbucks clover maker. I have to wait for a day when I can handle that much caffeine.

What is your process for a bulletproof coffee?

I'm intrigued by the ROK presso. With those results you're posting it may be my next investment.
What beans are you using in the pictured cup? Crazy oils afloat!

I was using a french pressed espresso with 2 tbsp grass fed butter and 2 tbsp organic coconut oil. Put it all together in a big preheated stainless shaker then hit it with a stick blender till nice and frothy then filled a large ceramic mug. No sweetener for me. Really delicious with the sweetness of the oils and for what it's worth, it really worked. Great energy.
I think I just talked myself into a cup in fact. :D

I have to ask.......
What is a good grinder? I have the typical Mr. Coffee grinder and should probably upgrade that first.

I'm intrigued by the ROK presso. With those results you're posting it may be my next investment.
What beans are you using in the pictured cup? Crazy oils afloat!

I was using a french pressed espresso with 2 tbsp grass fed butter and 2 tbsp organic coconut oil. Put it all together in a big preheated stainless shaker then hit it with a stick blender till nice and frothy then filled a large ceramic mug. No sweetener for me. Really delicious with the sweetness of the oils and for what it's worth, it really worked. Great energy.
I think I just talked myself into a cup in fact. :D

Its not perfect but it does make a real tasting espresso where as my Moka pots and my Aeropress taste like strong coffee.
Pros: Nice looking machine and container, no electricity needed, portable, real espresso look and flavor, easy to clean, and the fun process makes you enjoy your drink even more.
Negatives: Packed poorly and the items will shift and dent machine, a learning process to make a good double shot, with an insulated cup and preheating the drink comes out warm and not hot, might have to buy an insulated cup and a heavier tamper because the plastic one supplied isn't heavy enough.

The last pics were of my 5 day old Peet's anniversary beans. Definitely a difference, in the flavor and aroma, from fresh beans to 5 day old beans even when stored in a air vacuumed container and freshly ground.

Wow that sounds amazing! I would love to try that.

What do you guys think of the aeropress?

I like my aeropress. Its CHEAP, portable, tough plastic construction, doesn't require any electricity and it makes a good coffee that isn't as strong as my Moka pots. For an extra kick I will sometimes add my Moka made coffee with my aeropress made coffee.

The paper filters that come with it will last you a long time and you will not need to buy any for a while. But it would be a good investment to buy their metal filter. The metal filter is good to extract the important oils from the beans but costs almost as much as the aeropress does.

My process sounds counter intuitive but use it upside down with the plunger on the bottom. Fill with either #1 ground coffee for the paper filter or #3 ground coffee for the metal filter. Add your water just enough to cover the grounds to let them bloom and wait around 30 seconds. Add more water and stir simultaneously for around 30 more seconds. Turn over and place on top of mug and press the plunger down with even pressure. You can stop when the pressure is too much, when you have fully pressed out all of the water, or whenever you have reached your intensity. Done wrong and you will have nasty tasting silt in your coffee.

I have to ask.......
What is a good grinder? I have the typical Mr. Coffee grinder and should probably upgrade that first.

I am using this Hario grinder. It seems to do the job so far. I think I will buy a tougher and more portable slim model for camping/hiking. It takes around 2-3 minutes of grinding per serving but time goes by fast when reading BF.

I am using this Hario grinder. It seems to do the job so far. I think I will buy a tougher and more portable slim model for camping/hiking. It takes around 2-3 minutes of grinding per serving but time goes by fast when reading BF.

Auto scroll or can you grind with your feet? That's the post I want to see. :D

Seriously though, does that hand grinder take the beans down fine enough for an espresso? That's the issue I'm having with my new electric burr mill, just not quite fine enough. But what should I expect from an impulse buy for 40 bucks walking through Target? :rolleyes:
It does an adequate job though.

I suppose fresh ground is better, but I have it ground at the store. I buy in half pound quantities, and go through it fast enough it isn't gonna go stale. Gives me a chance to try out lots of different blends.

Does anyone else leave some of the days coffee to heat up and drink in the shower the next morning? Just me, then? Mmmm... shower-coffee :D

Auto scroll or can you grind with your feet? That's the post I want to see. :D

Seriously though, does that hand grinder take the beans down fine enough for an espresso? That's the issue I'm having with my new electric burr mill, just not quite fine enough. But what should I expect from an impulse buy for 40 bucks walking through Target? :rolleyes:
It does an adequate job though.

LOL. I actually have the grinder between my knees spinning with the right hand and clicking/scrolling with my left.

La Colombe/Mario Batali Roma-Espresso blend beans. Beans look drier than my Peet's Anniversary.

Ground Roma with the Hario grinder at the lowest setting. Pic makes it hard to tell for sure but I think its a 1 or 2 grind. Whats your opinion?

1st cup of Roma. Tastes like an Italian espresso.

The test is off because coffee places won't allow me to bring in my beans and "contaminate their espresso machines."

I suppose fresh ground is better, but I have it ground at the store. I buy in half pound quantities, and go through it fast enough it isn't gonna go stale. Gives me a chance to try out lots of different blends.

Does anyone else leave some of the days coffee to heat up and drink in the shower the next morning? Just me, then? Mmmm... shower-coffee :D

I like day old coffee but I like it cold. Reminds me of eating left over pizza where it adds some more depth of flavor.

Coffee shower? Does the soap taste good, lol.

LOL. I actually have the grinder between my knees spinning with the right hand and clicking/scrolling with my left.

La Colombe/Mario Batali Roma-Espresso blend beans. Beans look drier than my Peet's Anniversary.

Ground Roma with the Hario grinder at the lowest setting. Pic makes it hard to tell for sure but I think its a 1 or 2 grind. Whats your opinion?

1st cup of Roma. Tastes like an Italian espresso.

The test is off because coffee places won't allow me to bring in my beans and "contaminate their espresso machines."

That's the issue I had with my Savoia blend from La Columbe. They looked dry. Almost no oil on the beans and I bought 2.5 pounds. Oh well, it does taste good though. I've got a local source that is so oily the beans stick to the bag. I'll post those up when I get some more.

That grind looks good.
Honestly I was in the market for a hand grinder due to all the time I spend in the woods. I don't know what possessed me to buy an electric. I'll shop around for one like yours. Till then I'll grind ahead of time and vacuum pack it.
I'll post up a pic of the grounds from my electric since it's time for another cup.

I like day old coffee but I like it cold. Reminds me of eating left over pizza where it adds some more depth of flavor.

Coffee shower? Does the soap taste good, lol.

Ha! For reals, there's a little shelf at the back wall of the shower for shampoo and stuff, so I can put the cup there and lean out of the shower spray for a sip. If I'm drinking leftover coffee, I either want to heat it up, or put some ice in it so it's real cold. Room temperature leftover coffee is for when you're in a desperate hurry for caffeine.

What is this "left over coffee" you speak of? :D I would be afraid of being stuck down in the street or hit by lightning for committing such a crime!! :D

There is some oil on these beans. I stand corrected although I had to look pretty close.
In the hopper.
vF1BMch.jpg

Moka pot. This is as fine as the cheap burr mill will grind. Not going to get any crema from these grounds. Works really well in the french press though for a straight up cup of coffee which honestly is what I drink mostly. If I could do a perfect espresso at home I'd have no reason to leave. ;)
6pO7cRT.jpg

Foamless. Just showing the color and a bit of a slick on top.
The Savoia blend should make a tasty espresso. Just need the tools to do it.
IFxQda0.jpg

Ha! For reals, there's a little shelf at the back wall of the shower for shampoo and stuff, so I can put the cup there and lean out of the shower spray for a sip. If I'm drinking leftover coffee, I either want to heat it up, or put some ice in it so it's real cold. Room temperature leftover coffee is for when you're in a desperate hurry for caffeine.

Coffee guys are always using their brains.:D

There is some oil on these beans. I stand corrected although I had to look pretty close.
In the hopper.

Moka pot. This is as fine as the cheap burr mill will grind. Not going to get any crema from these grounds. Works really well in the french press though for a straight up cup of coffee which honestly is what I drink mostly. If I could do a perfect espresso at home I'd have no reason to leave. ;)

Foamless. Just showing the color and a bit of a slick on top.
The Savoia blend should make a tasty espresso. Just need the tools to do it.

Nice pic of the beans and I like the background too.

That looks like a course french press grind. I grind to #3 so I can use for both of my Moka pots and my aeropress.

Nice color. What does the savoia blend taste like?

The reviews on the Rok seem to be correct. It doesn't make a $500.00+ espresso but its the among the best for under $500.00. The longer term reliability seems questionable. All the metal has a 10 year warranty but the weak link is the plastic seal and plastic plunger which isn't covered.
But if you want an alternative, decent espresso, nice looking, portable, enjoy the labor, and under $500.00 you might want to look into the Rok more. I would buy again.

Back