Coffee

Uffda and Mono, sorry guys the stupid PM thing only allows 5 messages and I deleted your addresses by accident can you resend them via email and PM?Thanks! Everything is all packaged to go though.

There is an extra treat in there grounds from coffee plantations around Dalat Vietnam, my coworker's family has a home there and she periodically sends some over. I share a cup of this via French Press in the am's quite often!

I got your coffee today- shipping in the morning. Clean out your inbox! LOL!

Thanks Stig. I won't lie, Starbucks started selling these batch coffees that come out of a Clover machine and they are pretty darn good! But we also have specialty roasters and I like to try their stuff when I can making my own blends! I am sending Mono who started this thread a specialty single origin coffee in an exchange. I deleted everyone's addresses in the morning while on the train commuting into the work. I "hadn't had my coffee" yet and wasn't functioning. So I'll be sending them out tomorrow morning when I get into work.

My new set up thanks to "Dangerous Grounds." Love it. My 1st cup was perfect with great crema. I tried new ways but could not get the crema right so I will switch back to my original way. Peet's Anniversary blend beans. BUZZZ BUZZZ BUUZZZZ.

Pic of my old set ups.

Is that one of those crazy coffee makers where the arms drop down!

Yes, its a Rok espresso maker I just got. So far I really like it and those arms give me wings, LOL. The only problem is the espresso doesn't come out hot enough which I can fix with a little more experience and preheating.

Hario ceramic coffee mill and Peet's anniversary beans.

Is that one of those crazy coffee makers where the arms drop down!

You can see the Rok being used on the "Dangerous Grounds" episode with Mario Batali. I was sold when they showed the crema it produced. I have La Colombes' Roma espresso and Todd's fave world tour beans coming soon.

I will post pics of the crema when I get better.

I sent out all my promised beans........ except the funny post GAW.

Come on! Make us laugh!

I just acquired 4 bags of Starbucks® Caffé Verona® Blend...yummy!

Last edited:
Some more pics of my new toy.
Nice container.

Unpacking.

You can really see the oils but I still haven't got the crema down.

Cant wait to try my new La Colombe beans.

that thing is sweet! i sent codger and uffda some of the la colombe its a commercial roast for sure but very high quality and consistent like Starbucks.

Starbucks beans are a usually too dark for me so i blend it with higher end beans. but i like their beans for that bitter oomph. this last round i threw in some la colombe and it was satisfying.

The blend from la colombe that I picked out was a little too round for my liking so the Starbucks balanced it out with some bitter.

I've been enjoying the blends sent from both cchu and mono this past week. I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite between them as both are unique and good. Next week if the stars allign and the weather holds, I hope to get some single estate Hawaiian or Jamaica Blue Mountain. Thanks again for the care packages guys!

Vietnamese coffee will blow your socks off! Strong stuff! Best cup I ever had was on a street corner in Hoi An. An inch of thick-as-syrup, black-as-night coffee sitting on a half inch or so of condensed milk, all sitting in a glass with a chunk of ice hammered off from a block right in front of you... ahhh perfection.

CCHU518 sent me a bag of Gregory's RWANDA Dukunde Kawa and some Trung Nguyen Gourmet Blend Vietnam coffee. Also in the box was a mystery zip lock bag of pre ground!! I am thinking about getting out my coffee press in a few minutes......

If anyone else wants to swap local roasts just PM me. People say the coffee here is pretty damn good!!!

The Gregory's smelled so good my wife wanted a cup! She doesn't drink coffee. That is some pretty good coffee.

This coffee thread is going to get me in as much trouble as the rest of the knife threads here. At least knives aren't physically addicting. ;)
Just ordered a few pounds of Savoia from La Columbe after the recommendations above. Looking forward to some different brew after stagnating on the local offerings here.

I really loved this thread. I actually visited four of what I considered the very best coffee roasters in NYC to find something that I thought might be exotic to Mono!

That said I would love to hear about the Rwanda! I don't want to say what they charged per cup for it, that said I have no idea what it tastes like. Lol. The mystery bag, is a mix of Ethiopian, commercial Vietnamese and beans from my coworker's coffee plantation in Dalat Vietnam! I have a cup of that preground from a French press about once a week! And we make that thick syrupy Vietnamese style coffee with the sweetened condensed milk using the commercial Vietnamese stuff that you have! Enjoy!

What does that set up cost?

that thing is sweet!
Thanks.

Vietnamese coffee will blow your socks off! Strong stuff! Best cup I ever had was on a street corner in Hoi An. An inch of thick-as-syrup, black-as-night coffee sitting on a half inch or so of condensed milk, all sitting in a glass with a chunk of ice hammered off from a block right in front of you... ahhh perfection.

Definitely strong stuff.
If you are ever in orange county I highly recommend going to a Vietnamese bikini coffee bar. Hot girls in bikinis serving coffee will put a smile on your face.

Back