Coffee

Another batch of that Haitian Blue. I am liking these Coffee Caps so far.

dannyp dannyp
I found these guys. Dubuque Coffe Co. St. Louis, Mo. 63144 (Brentwood)
Cooking some now while flipping my ZT 0804 and Spyderco Shaman
IMAG2748.jpg

Cool! It seems that address is not a retail location. I'm guessing you got it at the supermarket? Looks like that and mail order are the only options. Interested to know what you think of it.

Wake up thread!!! Almost 2 weeks w/o a post! :eek: :thumbsdown:

So my dad donated about 20# of green coffee to me about two weeks ago. :cool: He bought it when he decided to try home coffee roasting himself. He decided he wasn't really into it, even though he really liked the result. Well unbeknownst to me, he didn't roast too much of what he bought. Unfortunately, the stuff is all ~9 years old. :confused: Including 2 pounds of '09 Esmeralda Gesha... :eek:

I've roasted up a few batches of different stuff, and it all seems to still be OK. 1st crack is delayed about 10-15 degrees, and it seems to roast lighter than what you'd think for a given final temperature. This is backed up by how it tastes in the cup, so I'm going to roast the next batch darker and see what happens. Even though it's so old, it was kept cool and dry, and seems to have aged just fine. Still FAR better than anything you'd buy at most shops, except for the top-tier ones. So overall, I'll call it a win! :thumbsup:

And for fun, just posted this in the knives and coffee thread... o_O

IMG_6192.JPG

Lol! :D:D:D

Nice photo!:cool: I'd rather have 9 year old green coffee beans which I can roast as needed than already roasted beans that may have been sitting around on warehouse and store shelves for 6 months or more.

I ordered some more coffee that should be delivered soon also.

I would rather one of you two do the roasting...I made one hell of a mess. No one told me to do it outside.
My shots are getting better.
IMAG2795.jpg

Don't crucify me but, I don't drink coffee. After looking at this thread I am willing try again though.

Well.............it's gotta be better than the ground stuff in the cans!

:D

Pretty sure I've mentioned that more than once. Set the smoke alarms off too?:p

I thought it would smell more like roasted beans, was hoping it would fill the house with that aroma but turned out pretty smoky not a bad smoky though, so I still roast inside when I do occasionally and bury the smoke alarms

I do it either outside or in the garage, mostly because of the chaff mess. I had the same thought about the aroma when starting also. Not quite what I expected at first.

Now that I'm more familiar with the smell, I can instantly tell if they are roasting coffee at the local shop as soon as I get out of the truck or even if driving by with the windows down.

I just got my kickstartered rumble-jar. Its basically a cold-brewer basket that fits inside a standard Ball jar. Probably not as good as a drip through, but it fits in the fridge better. So far with off the shelf ground stuff it seems to work really well. Very smooth and good flavor. Here in australia its easy to get whole bean from piles of places, but if you want off the shelf ground its a slightly course espresso grind or nothing. I have a couple of hipster shops near me that have grinders, but cost becomes a problem pretty quickly. Kinda thinking of getting a hand grinder, but if I'm going to be throwing 60g of coffee per jar in this cold brewer, that's a lot of cranking!

I just got my kickstartered rumble-jar.... that's a lot of cranking!

What's your budget for a grinder? There are some mid size older school cast iron mills out there that will make super quick work of 60g. They can run from $100usd to thousands all depending on what you want, and how much work you're willing to put in.

Problem always ends up at shipping to AUS, and where I live runs an average of 85% humidity, so antique stuff doesn't tend to do so well (also, very tiny apartment). I'll be saving up for a decent grinder, we just got back from a big holiday so the toy funds are a little tight at the moment, at least just out of reach of the impulse buy range. But thanks for the ideas, I'll certainly keep my eyes out while out and around. It could also be that I've been kinda broken by my GSI grinder, its a pig to get much output out of. Great burr, but its got a maybe 3/4inch cone, so not a lot of overall grinding area. So I was thinking that I'd go electric, since I have a pretty decent counter-top espresso machine, and I use either an aero-press, or a drip cone while camping, so lots of ways to make coffee, and lots of ways to grind cheap beans to get the most out of them.

I think it's been mentioned before, but the baratza series is a great series of grinders. If you can swing one of those they are 100% worth the investment.

As much as I hate to admit it - this new Folger's 1850 is probably the best "cheap" coffee I have had. At $5.99 a bag it is hard to beat out of the dripper.
IMAG2862.jpg

Back