Concerns About Survive! Business and Misleading Lead Time Estimates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was getting more at getting out into the world of new and exciting knife brands and leaving this tired place behind. Enjoy that sweet crossbow!

Blessings to you too bud! Yes I am getting into the world of xbow hunting and some other knife brands as well. Fortunately though I have many interests and SK! knives are definitely still one of them. I am as much a fan of the SK product today as I was back in 2013 when I joined here (I just go about acquiring them differently now). It's a little quite but I wouldn't call this place tired still a great place to kick your feet up and catch up on what's going on. (The SK forums I mean, not this sub). Sorry if I am off topic.

I was excited when they offered the pre-order. I always wanted a survive and I got my chance. The original 4 month turnaround time is now bordering on 2 years. The knife I ordered is "we have steel." With how slow the production has been in the past 4 months, I might get it by the end of 2017. I went in assuming the actual wait time would be a bit longer, but I probably would have never partake in the pre-order knowing it will have gone past 2 years.

I know the company will deliver on their product. That said, I hope the company learns from this pre-order blunder and finds a way to speed up production time. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to find employees that care as much about the goods/service as much as the owner.

Coming up on 2 years. Man I wish I knew then what I know now. The money is gone and so is my desire to ever buy direct from SURVIVE! again.

The Production Schedule page does not provide meaningful information as to the status of your order in whatever queue may exist. It is vague, provides no dates, and is subject to unexplained revision.

I've found that it is more realistic to accept the fact that the company is not staffed to accurately determine lead times and ignore their attempts to do so.

I would love to put in an order for a GSO 6. I would take the risk of doing so if they instituted a non-refundable 10% down. As their ordering stands right now (100% up-front) it's not gonna happen. :thumbdn:

Anybody got a 4.7 they want to make a profit on?

The Production Schedule page does not provide meaningful information as to the status of your order in whatever queue may exist. It is vague, provides no dates, and is subject to unexplained revision.

I've found that it is more realistic to accept the fact that the company is not staffed to accurately determine lead times and ignore their attempts to do so.

I think there would be a lot more confidence in ordering if we heard from Guy himself on this forum. A growing concern I think is the lack of transparency from the owner himself. I'm all for the company flourishing, but I too have growing concerns.

So are you guys concerned that Survive will fold and your money will be lost OR are you concerned that you'll die of old age before you get your knife OR are you just upset that it is taking so long.

Based on the Instagram, the fact that knives are moving through the production schedule and that people are posting pictures of knives that are matching with what the production schedule says it seems Survive is actually making knives. I'm just trying to gauge what you guys are really concerned about.

So, you want a recap of 61 pages of people expressing their concerns?

Okay, by and large they are concerned that they have not yet received the knives that they paid for.
Some delay was anticipated but we are coming up on two years since the starter program was announced and that magnitude of delay seems excessive.

Does that seem to cover it?

Okay, by and large they are concerned that they have not yet received the knives that they paid for.
Some delay was anticipated but we are coming up on two years since the starter program was announced and that magnitude of delay seems excessive.

That's about right.

I think there would be a lot more confidence in ordering if we heard from Guy himself on this forum. A growing concern I think is the lack of transparency from the owner himself. I'm all for the company flourishing, but I too have growing concerns.

Guy has done most of his damage control on instagram. Here is the latest. What more are you looking for?

wr8A9V9.png

Wbcsxm1.png

gzhQYBK.png

I can dig for another post where he said something like: we're not going anywhere, we're just working through the orders we have with a lot of extra work involved.

Some people felt like they needed to provide a public service by warding off potential customers because of wait times. Some people thought they'd get a 7/7 or 10 within a few months of the starter despite these models being later in the production schedule. Those folks seem to have mostly blown off their steam and either got their refunds or decided to stick it out.

If you're neither of those people then you need to do the research and decide if you're comfortable with this company. If this thread hasn't pointed you in one direction or the other, then I don't think any more discussion will help. If the calculated risk it worth it, then go for it with your eyes open. If the idea of putting money down makes you uncomfortable, then don't. It sounds like your mind may already be made up.

So are you guys concerned that Survive will fold and your money will be lost OR are you concerned that you'll die of old age before you get your knife OR are you just upset that it is taking so long.

Based on the Instagram, the fact that knives are moving through the production schedule and that people are posting pictures of knives that are matching with what the production schedule says it seems Survive is actually making knives. I'm just trying to gauge what you guys are really concerned about.

I am not being a "fan boy", as some of the folks here have called me, I have a bunch of prepaid knives that I am waiting on so I am in the same if not worse boat than a lot of people on this particular string. But I do know something about Survive's operation. I've known these guys for over 3 years and after 18 months of conversations and communications with Guy and Ellie about the new knives it doesn't seem that they are going out of business or going to run out of money. I believe we'll all get our knives that we've ordered. It's just going to take time to flush out all the orders. I also believe that they are getting better at getting knives out faster than in the past. Hopefully Guy will hire some new people this year and finish producing the knives in que before he introduces another new line and takes pre-orders for it.

Unfortunately they are a new business and have more to learn about production, meeting demand and when and when not to expand product. The good news is that they really do give a damn and they are honest people that want the business to succeed.

That's about right.

LOL - Well stated!

For those of you within PayPal's 180 day time period, just start a PayPal dispute. I got my refund in 12 hours. There is absolutely no reason it should take a month.

For those of you who dropped hundreds or thousands of dollars on the Starter campaign and are out of the PayPal timeline, I'm sorry to hear that. Make your decision to wait a month for your money or stick it out and hope for the knives before the next leap year.

Guy has done most of his damage control on instagram. Here is the latest. What more are you looking for?

wr8A9V9.png

Wbcsxm1.png

gzhQYBK.png

I can dig for another post where he said something like: we're not going anywhere, we're just working through the orders we have with a lot of extra work involved.

Some people felt like they needed to provide a public service by warding off potential customers because of wait times. Some people thought they'd get a 7/7 or 10 within a few months of the starter despite these models being later in the production schedule. Those folks seem to have mostly blown off their steam and either got their refunds or decided to stick it out.

If you're neither of those people then you need to do the research and decide if you're comfortable with this company. If this thread hasn't pointed you in one direction or the other, then I don't think any more discussion will help. If the calculated risk it worth it, then go for it with your eyes open. If the idea of putting money down makes you uncomfortable, then don't. It sounds like your mind may already be made up.

Just blowing off steam. I have been keeping track on Instagram. Thanks. I was just trying to answer a question that turn into more. I'm still a big fan.

Just blowing off steam. I have been keeping track on Instagram. Thanks. I was just trying to answer a question that turn into more. I'm still a big fan.

I'm hear you, man. I wasn't sure if you had seen the other thread or were on instagram, a lot of guys aren't.

I can't imagine there's a lot Guy could say. I think all that's left is the action needed to keep digging out of the backlog of orders. You do seem pretty well informed, so you know what's at stake if you decide to drop some money on an order. I'd hate to see you become less satisfied over the next 90 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back