Photos Congress is in session, in the Traditional sense...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've owned a few Congress patterns over the years and recently had a John Primble gifted a while back which I fool heartedly returned, should have kept that one ;) but, I wanted to send her back to the owner as I appreciated the visit, thanks again WValtakis WValtakis I'll include some nice photos of that one below. But what prompted the thread is this new Boker tree brand Congress that I just got today. My thinking is for my main large carry has a drop point blade and is an easy opening pocket clipped one but for other tasks I really like wharncliffish, sheepfootish and coping style blades and the Congress pattern has that in spades. Very handy for whittling/carving, cutting labels or decals out, opening mail, all sorts of uses come to mind.

So, please feel free to add to this thread your favourite Congress patterned folder;

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

and that John Primble Congress

Primble_congress_presidents by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Primble_hand_bw by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Thread title made me think Congress resumed whittling and carving the armrests of their chairs in the Senate and House chambers, while listening to their long-winded co-conspiritors take 6 hours to say nothing. :)

Very nice Böker. :)

dcd34w.jpg

I only have the one right now, but its a nice one imho. Robert Klaas lovebirds, so I've learned.

Nice, looks like they nested those blade so they are snug to the frame, the Boker has them set about as low as they could and still have the nail nicks accessible, nicely done also.
G2

Nice, looks like they nested those blade so they are snug to the frame, the Boker has them set about as low as they could and still have the nail nicks accessible, nicely done also.
G2
Thanks, they are for sure set low. If the pen and coping blades sat 1/16 of an inch lower the pulls would be below the frame. I was impressed that the joints are almost sunk all the way. Just a tiny bit of shoulder above the frame, which is impressive considering how narrow it is at the bolsters.

The Congress is an interesting pattern. Whenever I see one, I want it. But when I get it in hand, it doesn't seem to trip my trigger. Then when I see another one, I want it.

I passed this one along to another BF member:

I still have this one. Sneaking this one in; not sure if the Norfolk passes as a Congress:

Nice one guys, here's a better shot, you can see how the nail nicks are about as low as you'd want them to be, on some like the Case ones I've had, I've ground down the kicks to bring them in more, but this one I don't think I have any room to do such a mod.

IMG_7278 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

I just got a Boker congress with rosewood panels last week late, Thursday I think. It is very good looking but really stiff opening on all four blades and the nail cuts are really hard to get with my short trimmed thumbnail. I bought it to whittle and carve with but had to sharpen the blades up to snuff, then strop well. It does ok and I thought I love it more but the 32 OT has it beat by a little. Hopefully I'll get to like it better with use.

Mine arrived with the blades passably sharp, right now tending to a very sore left thumb so that hinders my sharpening and won't be able to get this up to snuff to the point I am use to :( but, for now it will have to do. Just cut some labels out for a package and the sheepsfoot did great, better than some others I've had recently so no problems there. The coping and pen blades, being shorter less mechanical advantage to opening them are a bit stouter on the pull, I'd rate those two around 7-8 where the sheepsfoot I'd put at 5-6 on the pulls
G2

That Primble is a really nice knife, I miss it from time to time as well Gary;)

You'll be pleased to know though, it went to another member here on the board (spacing the name right now). He has an almost identical one that was his grandfather's I believe, which he was hesitant to carry for exactly that reason...now he's got a user too:)

And you know I'm a whittler man at heart;) (#13 whittlers are as close as I'd probably get to loving a Congress pattern, but the redundant secondaries kill it for me).

~Chip

I like the congress pattern, when they don't duplicate blades. Most do, and even the ones that don't come real close. Anyway I have two. A Boker tree brand carvers congress, with rosewood scales, and a Case with chestnut bone sales, and CV blades.

D5SvoWMoOMWh0AqRezkxgTI_4-zaoeRGDJ1UkvigeQ1uG8MsEKH6eDJ7oktuQFTgZHag1ODOalP1mcyMputM7IEiBOBoq54PzvHN5daICvAJH8rea4ytrmysXEztlKIiEkj7ZfxVWoSY95fvQ4mQxyn6mdV2CR_4HFNKOnNu57vqyF4qgsvWra6L7StPuuFUU9prlW_9xcLtDM7CkqAIkys9oo4uoU4fwYvYP-AmDoDQp4ez2uaP71Z2ZXAKENE8eIbbHO07SIxmypHmfKOOV76ZYvFQOPVn-vQ7FcP_7fmZh5iS2m6WM_fXOtXdiCKyEOlOFz67-k1oscFj45u2c1yuEXUqLAo3EIXjqZifdo3QoBKODXg8WYaOO-V_4OqDFopdpMD5Qgganr-jMyXzPw9z85LLCmSwAVbjsiUOcfJ2Pj3_gi1E4vrErEokufTCpc307v_SzYvRxoeGB_hwtIgsLrZC8q6_m5u7e3t13H1AoOdBaM-Fo8APg-sjkIAsBEOx7K-EDu-TYHZZT4OQjmsZsVh1OW6Qeinid3Bzr3wfFzymEdL15Wx7hwihJt0oUbQOggj83lOoedWcCOgoVYInJRkKUciCg9qhSLW7zqpNNzJOPX2YYN04XNWgK7On7E5SKVbke8elB_vAO8feltcf78IvEpBAX57n8mvTSu8GyOxEGDUTqlDAU_A5AyCiCTXSKg1_nJeW03NfTg=w800

Sanuk2ZGEVgQUoqgeK921p6pLMLA6EG0xVs726ghvZC9awwaatRY_E1z6ZxIVBBfckpoOE1tpYjWYOq15oQc4oYXM50jLVvnnyszw1dcSHaauP2iFcg4cSa49ylUoGP62gqQ6-jNCuBjcmomEEkHYqiLszYpwxQyDB0hYLiODVAWQ4xzB2KU5BKfLjo1OoLtdDv7J6-WhaRtVw0fkUjz4MFJKc3QIO5g8iOjuboc__MUvf61ImAVHNhPCSiB1Y3CCU7ugCaORZA7SQgw_5iqF5CZ7Qn0yHkIzWwSFbjHImUl_ny_t9EvfZ5k836uOccj9QIdJnSD9hDmuT5KefFCMyvP2C_jitTsBglWWRmCFYdDtKaSJipcSZ3sKsoVO2pm_fm3hsLtCo5bi0wuyG9Esg1oO-3AiDQCFfvZupnIbfYgpA8ozedIGv1M0uYpGFy0L3TDqqyjgV2_p57_qoS3WURRccOKugJx29QSe65mzwMGL6jLLTz3o0HVpaCSJZ5nRMDYrN3f6rdruqcZZmn3kLGmxRE0_vrkZjPG3uxGrELyIQlwjR_9NpWunng4r_Sj7bBq1ywFPxO6jLOKp_o-xo7TOKC_9lg_H0p45iri7aRcxuP_2BfGdObRpwvEeYLu15ULUwOeGOrm_qz6QoofS6n9TOHFPDIwo7rdYnFlEYnpev2DIpkjHealQhYnq7hXlahyZK5MMb5fsew7Hw=w800

xV4Q-Y5nX9nA3kYmRFSHw4z2Xr5io03DAzggbr5nvlLd-yu_GyaLpKV4KxU5VwK5K41rO0g-zAd1K5yybhp84wDZCurgCHdQydasxocBvVtB1qzcqo6lTZy1wZUznQAeUd2Q993ibFGtMKxgynV5-iZgT0DvWgDGC5pLngcq8TajdFJ5rWEym8sX1xY9GFhNHan3pK3UL1CF-p1iGAva0KoJur9B0Hw3h9zyI-fOCh2LoJVkPTe8ZsODUPTPeqxuNEue7eCdNcuYu0JfA8RZRYqT1DBJNSo1zUSXaWPLCS2pvRchG2loODb-sWo_EhphPw60vmd-hbTau56GS4XaYIGduobW5NKRquRcdzwnYL0jAUqJqrid8ec5rVXhonyNE1EritGqOmnL__fyBNGV6DxR7HGrRLaRNey9_YgNTirK0e8RLCaDo9epWSsfvemyesbib5arCadTFeaIFCeVxHFDc6mxuG6sE1n9BQG4fJlk1RCZWSEmmFUe87fZ0H819zHLm0ZUgZa3Mchzs2rCKr4PIarM87pI7YK2m0nXSsumE0VwaKjiQIm0UCf0L0ciZwnVxSMbKAWkpKJuUJmIDcqFxsmPVd5ztG_Pra1h0tsdkc21UMrw8G5uoDZWzIzkvUc40yczAh7CsLHBazrS-UROBSz6pgmtH1EhtPCTWW4-8NbDzxb5xkuUVFuCHeZikIClBIX5KeNh51hfEg=w800

I carry the Boker most days.

O.B.

I just got a Boker congress with rosewood panels last week late, Thursday I think. It is very good looking but really stiff opening on all four blades and the nail cuts are really hard to get with my short trimmed thumbnail.

I like the stiff opening on mine. I think it makes it easier to strop, because the blade doesn't keep trying to fold up on me.

O.B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back