Corrosion testing

Well... I'm a little disappointed in the krytox. But I've got a bunch of other various corrosion inhibitor oils on the way thanks to duramax duramax and @einsteinjon so excited about that!

i-NLpz4Q5-X5.jpg

i-4D5tm5J-X5.jpg

How about some Renaissance Wax?

It's worked well for me on my Dad's old Case carbon steel knives protecting from hand oil/salt pepper spotting...never tested it any more rigorously than that.

I'm pretty sure it's food safe....as long as you don't eat it straight outta the can :eek:

How about some Renaissance Wax?

It's worked well for me on my Dad's old Case carbon steel knives protecting from hand oil/salt pepper spotting...never tested it any more rigorously than that.

I'm pretty sure it's food safe....as long as you don't eat it straight outta the can :eek:

It did OK but not amazing in this guy's testing

I've used WD-40 for years to clean / wipe down all my knives not used for food prep and so far so good. I do live in the desert and that probably helps too :).
I'll be interested in the TC-11 if it's available locally.

L

Looks pretty legit! It's even good grade.... Would love to try it but I don't wanna spend $92 on a whole gallon lol

They sell quarts at $32.00
I haven’t bought it yet.

Yeah da man!!

Have you tried lps3 yet for your vehicle? Looks like it should be a top performer under body coating

I’ve used it on firearms but not the vehicles. I’ve been staying with the corrosion block. I’ve been applying it from when truck was new :)

So, what is the "best" product youve tested so far?

So far the wd40 lcti has been best... But I have a lot more on the way! I'm gonna do some big panels with each labeled soon probably, this is getting too confusing with only 4 knife blanks lol

I was gonna pick up some mild steel from Lowes but do you guys have any better ideas? Iron would probably be best since it's super corrosion prone

Josh,
Just for kicks, and because I said please, would you do some basic chapstick? Reason I ask is because I have used that on knives because A) I had it on hand, B) I knew the knife was going to be getting wet, and C) in contact with food. I felt kind of silly, thinking there was probably no point, but it seemed to work and the knives came home from the field without any corrosion.

Follow up about the WD40 LTCI. Is it a lube as well as a C.I.? The Hornady 1 Shot is both, so I'm wondering if the WD40 is billed as a lubricant.

Josh,
Just for kicks, and because I said please, would you do some basic chapstick? Reason I ask is because I have used that on knives because A) I had it on hand, B) I knew the knife was going to be getting wet, and C) in contact with food. I felt kind of silly, thinking there was probably no point, but it seemed to work and the knives came home from the field without any corrosion.

Follow up about the WD40 LTCI. Is it a lube as well as a C.I.? The Hornady 1 Shot is both, so I'm wondering if the WD40 is billed as a lubricant.
Sure I can try, any specific brand? :)

The LCTI does have some lubricating properties for sure, but it's not as good as one shot according to the day at the range testing

Slightly off the subject, but hopefully interesting... When I went to college in rhode island we would go down to point judith for quahogs for clam cakes. The navy had a corrosion and rust test facility right there on the coast.
They were testing everything there, siding, paint, you name it.
I always thought that was a great place to do it, some serious gales there.

Slightly off the subject, but hopefully interesting... When I went to college in rhode island we would go down to point judith for quahogs for clam cakes. The navy had a corrosion and rust test facility right there on the coast.
They were testing everything there, siding, paint, you name it.
I always thought that was a great place to do it, some serious gales there.
That's awesome, man I would love to chat with someone at that facility! Lol

Back