Country music

He counts all the time, usually the number of trophies he has won on The Voice
;)
but yes he is one of my favorite singers too.

one of my favorite albums is by Aaron Watson

G2

As a recovering musician I feel conflicted about posting this, but here it goes.

My journey into music was piano at age 6. By age 8 I was fully capable of reading music, and playing everything from Beethoven to The Beatles.

Things changed my sophomore year of high school when the Air Force Band of the West played at our high school auditorium. I was directly in front of their guitar player. They were great and I was mesmerized. That very evening I told my parents I wanted a Fender Telecaster and a Fender Princeton amp. Within two weeks I had both, and the process of relating my piano playing to guitar. The transition was fairly smooth. I literally spent every waking hour playing guitar.

I was asked by a friend of my dad’s, who was an amazing steel guitar player if I would be interested in joining them for a “jam” session. I couldn’t say yes fast enough. The “jam” was a huge success for me. Now, these were all 40-50 year old men that had been playing for years, and me at 15 years old.

While milling around after the “jam” I was approached by another band leader. He asked if I would be willing to join his band. They were all 35-45 years old. He informed me that they were on the Texas bar circuit, and good money ($100.00) night could be had. They were playing about five nights a week. I told him I didn’t know if I could get into the bars he said he’d take care of it.

That stint lasted about a year, until after a gig I was approached by a talent scout for Moe Bandy. He asked if I’d be interested in doing sixteen gigs in Florida. I was floored, but open to the idea completely. The pay was $400.00 night, room and board covered. I accepted, then found my self in a rehearsal studio for nearly two weeks. Then the gigs started. We played everything from small halls (500 people max), to festivals (10,000 people max). I was elated. Nothing says authentic southern Texas music like Moe Bandy. He was such an unassuming gentleman.

Now I’m without a gig and back in Texas. I saw an ad in the newspaper that David Allan Coe was playing a political benefit the next Saturday. They were set up on a flatbed trailer, hundreds of people milling around, so I went behind the trailer and took a seat on a bale of hay, hoping if they took a break I could meet DAC. About 45 minutes later he trotted down the steps and sat on the same bale of hay I was on. We made some small talk and he mentioned he was down a guitar player that night. I told him I could fill in if he liked. He laughed his ass off. I then told him my last gig was with Moe Bandy. He said OK, come sit in with us. I killed it. After the show he asked if I wanted to do 12 shows in Texas. I said hell yeah. He then told me that his last guitar player was Warren Haynes. At that time the name meant nothing to me. Anyway Mr. Haynes is now with Allman Brothers Band and Government Mule.

I’ve played a handful of shows with Collin Raye and Chet Bollinger (songwriter for Kris Kristofferson, Janie Fricke, and Johnny Duncan (RIP)).

I can’t consciously listen to today’s country. Bro-country isn’t for me. If it’s not hard country I want nothing to do with it.

Marty Robbins was a gift to country music.

Sorry I was long winded, but I was proud to be a part of real country back in the heyday.

I’ve recorded my own album in 1999, it’s all original, easy listening acoustic music. I play 6 & 12 string guitars, as well as mandolin. It’s been used as background music on PBS History Detectives as well as VH1’s Behind The Music.

Last edited:
Amazing life that you are having, I can’t imagine all that you have encountered in your travels
Thanks so much for sharing!
G2

Well I don't have an amazing journey to share like OklahomaOutlaw. But we have an old Ford Pickup that is "extra" as we upgraded and I have a certain fondness for it and cant seem to move it to a new home. So I try and drive it once a week and there has been a Dwight Yoakam CD in it for years as the only CD and it goes around and around. I always seem to be in high sprits on the days I drive that rig.

Well I don't have an amazing journey to share like OklahomaOutlaw. But we have an old Ford Pickup that is "extra" as we upgraded and I have a certain fondness for it and cant seem to move it to a new home. So I try and drive it once a week and there has been a Dwight Yoakam CD in it for years as the only CD and it goes around and around. I always seem to be in high sprits on the days I drive that rig.
Absolutely love Dwight Yoakam. He’s done his very best to keep country….country.

As a recovering musician I feel conflicted about posting this, but here it goes.

My journey into music was piano at age 6. By age 8 I was fully capable of reading music, and playing everything from Beethoven to The Beatles.

Things changed my sophomore year of high school when the Air Force Band of the West played at our high school auditorium. I was directly in front of their guitar player. They were great and I was mesmerized. That very evening I told my parents I wanted a Fender Telecaster and a Fender Princeton amp. Within two weeks I had both, and the process of relating my piano playing to guitar. The transition was fairly smooth. I literally spent every waking hour playing guitar.

I was asked by a friend of my dad’s, who was an amazing steel guitar player if I would be interested in joining them for a “jam” session. I couldn’t say yes fast enough. The “jam” was a huge success for me. Now, these were all 40-50 year old men that had been playing for years, and me at 15 years old.

While milling around after the “jam” I was approached by another band leader. He asked if I would be willing to join his band. They were all 35-45 years old. He informed me that they were on the Texas bar circuit, and good money ($100.00) night could be had. They were playing about five nights a week. I told him I didn’t know if I could get into the bars he said he’d take care of it.

That stint lasted about a year, until after a gig I was approached by a talent scout for Moe Bandy. He asked if I’d be interested in doing sixteen gigs in Florida. I was floored, but open to the idea completely. The pay was $400.00 night, room and board covered. I accepted, then found my self in a rehearsal studio for nearly two weeks. Then the gigs started. We played everything from small halls (500 people max), to festivals (10,000 people max). I was elated. Nothing says authentic southern Texas music like Moe Bandy. He was such an unassuming gentleman.

Now I’m without a gig and back in Texas. I saw an ad in the newspaper that David Allan Coe was playing a political benefit the next Saturday. They were set up on a flatbed trailer, hundreds of people milling around, so I went behind the trailer and took a seat on a bale of hay, hoping if they took a break I could meet DAC. About 45 minutes later he trotted down the steps and sat on the same bale of hay I was on. We made some small talk and he mentioned he was down a guitar player that night. I told him I could fill in if he liked. He laughed his ass off. I then told him my last gig was with Moe Bandy. He said OK, come sit in with us. I killed it. After the show he asked if I wanted to do 12 shows in Texas. I said hell yeah. He then told me that his last guitar player was Warren Haynes. At that time the name meant nothing to me. Anyway Mr. Haynes is now with Allman Brothers Band and Government Mule.

I’ve played a handful of shows with Collin Raye and Chet Bollinger (songwriter for Kris Kristofferson, Janie Fricke, and Johnny Duncan (RIP)).

I can’t consciously listen to today’s country. Bro-country isn’t for me. If it’s not hard country I want nothing to do with it.

Sorry I was long winded, but I was proud to be a part of real country back in the heyday.

I’ve recorded my own album in 1999, it’s all original, easy listening acoustic music. I play 6 & 12 string guitars, as well as mandolin. It’s been used as background music on PBS History Detectives as well as VH1’s Behind The Music.
Let’s hear it! And damn right on Dwight. He’s the man. I enjoyed your post - sounds like a lot of fun. 🤙

FYI for you Chris Stapleton fans. He was with the Steeldrivers on their first two albums, The Steeldrivers and Reckless, before his solo career took off. Both superb albums, especially if you're a Stapleton fan. More bluegrassy than country, but not straight bluegrass either. Worth a listen.

FYI for you Chris Stapleton fans. He was with the Steeldrivers on their first two albums, The Steeldrivers and Reckless, before his solo career took off. Both superb albums, especially if you're a Stapleton fan. More bluegrassy than country, but not straight bluegrass either. Worth a listen.
+1 On the Steeldrivers.... all very talented, and great albums.

You could even say he’s a Diiiinooosaur

Old school is the best school. I never want to go without Johnny Cash and David Allan Coe
David is in declining health as you would expect from someone that’s 83 years old, coupled with the lifestyle he’s lived.

Last year he didn’t perform at Willie Nelson’s picnic, although it went on during Covid as normal.

I’m close to Amy Nelson (Willie’s daughter) as well as Cathy Guthrie (Arlo’s daughter) who are always at the picnic. Amy said she could never remember a time when David wasn’t there.

Perhaps, hopefully, it was out of an abundance of caution. But I do know he’s declining health wise. That’ll be a sad day. Reminds me of George Jones’ “Who’s Gonna Fill Their Shoes”.

Wow, thank you for sharing.
I grew up on and still love Southern Rock and Texas Rock, do you have any thoughts on Gary Clark Jr. ?

Last edited:
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs.

There's also a negative side."

Hunter S. Thompson

I quote the above because of one of my friends who passed away a few years ago. His name was Jimmy Wilsey. I don’t expect you to know the name, but rather by one song, “Wicked Game” by Chris Isaak.

Jimmy was an incredible guitarist, but apparently Chris thought he could do better, so he fired Jimmy. Jimmy’s forte was surf music, tinged with country.

In 2007 he called and asked how I had released my album (I won’t bore you with the details). He said he’d take it under consideration, but had been approached by Lakeshore Records and was leaning that way.

When you sign that contract (with a small label) they almost own 60% of your money.

“El Dorado” was the album, no vocals, targeting TV, movies, etc. Long story short they took the bulk of his money. Hunter S. Thompson was spot on.

I’m outside the realm of Gary’s thread….so I’ll stop now. :cool:

Last edited:
I saw David Allan Coe in the little town of Olean, Missouri many (25?) years ago. Olean is at the end of the paved road, population around a 100 or so. He performed on a semi, flatbed trailer. The proceeds were going to help out a local family who had massive medical bills. Michael Spinks was there signing autographs and they auctioned off some memorabilia. The booze flowed freely- and I observed other stuff being smoked kind of discretely- and the cops let the bikers do burnouts on main street after the concert until 10 or 11 or so. This was all right in the middle of town. A good time was had by all :)

A good friend I made while in our purchasing dept, he lived near Boston, near where the big Molasses catastrophe happened many years ago. But I digress, one story he told me was when he and his wife were traveling south years ago and stopped in a Stucky's for a break and some coffee.
He saw an older man with a cup of coffee standing and looking out the window as the morning sun started through the trees across the highway and asked the fellow, 'have you lived here all your life?'
to which the old man turned and smiled and said 'Not yet'

All stories are welcome and history is fascinating so please add if you have them, that's down right country for sure to do so.

:)

G2

“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs.

There's also a negative side."

Hunter S. Thompson

I quote the above because of one of my friends who passed away a few years ago. His name was Jimmy Wilsey. I don’t expect you to know the name, but rather by one song, “Wicked Game” by Chris Isaak.

Jimmy was an incredible guitarist, but apparently Chris thought he could do better, so he fired Jimmy. Jimmy’s forte was surf music, tinged with country.

In 2007 he called and asked how I had released my album (I won’t bore you with the details). He said he’d take it under consideration, but had been approached by Lakeshore Records and was leaning that way.

When you sign that contract (with a small label) they almost own 60% of your money.

“El Dorado” was the album, no vocals, targeting TV, movies, etc. Long story short they took the bulk of his money. Hunter S. Thompson was spot on.

I’m outside the realm of Gary’s thread….so I’ll stop now. :cool:
Thanks a lot Outlaw! now I've been listening to Chris Isaak all morning.:D👍. I guess what I like about his music is that in my mind it doesn't really fit any particular genre or bucket, and that can be a beautiful thing. Carry on and thanks for the great stories.

I saw David Allan Coe in the little town of Olean, Missouri many (25?) years ago. Olean is at the end of the paved road, population around a 100 or so. He performed on a semi, flatbed trailer. The proceeds were going to help out a local family who had massive medical bills. Michael Spinks was there signing autographs and they auctioned off some memorabilia. The booze flowed freely- and I observed other stuff being smoked kind of discretely- and the cops let the bikers do burnouts on main street after the concert until 10 or 11 or so. This was all right in the middle of town. A good time was had by all :)
The last time I saw David was in a gun shop in Baton Rouge, LA in the early ‘90’s. I was picking up a couple of bricks of .22 LR when I noticed a purple tour bus pull in. Just the store owner and I were there. After a few minutes the door opened and out strolled David.

He walked up to the counter where I was and I said hello Mr. Coe. He looked at me and yelled HELLO BOOMER! He gave me that nickname since I was an Okie. I figured he had forgotten that years ago, but nope.

He is really a good cat. I question why he put out the XXX album when I knew he had so many great lyrics in him. “The Ride” & “Mona Lisa Lost Her Smile” came years later.

As far as my friendship with Amy Nelson & Cathy Guthrie was happenstance. We were touring supporting our acoustic album and they were in the small(ish) crowd in Buffalo, NY. They were playing there the next night and wanted to see the room. I told Cathy that I lived 12 miles from Okemah, OK where the Woody Guthrie Festival takes place every July. Arlo is frequently there though I’ve never met him.

Their duo is called “Folk Uke”. Just imagine angelic voices with the filthiest lyrics you can imagine. You find your niche and make your money I guess. Just a warning if you go listen to them on YouTube. It’s funny, but definitely NSFW.

Last edited:
Personally I think Don Williams is so honesty county music that it would be a shame not to be mentioned. I was in high school when I first heard his music and instantly thought that is country music. He was one of my dad’s favorites as well and he was kinda discriminating about the country sound. Dad played in a local band in his youth during the 1930s along with grandpa and my uncles. I started playing guitar at 13 yo but didn’t really apply myself until I was 17 yo after a near accidental amputated left index finger. They reattach it and thank the Lord I recovered. Then again in 1987 at 28 yo another accident nearly severed the same finger only that time a microsurgery dr was there to reattach it even better than before. Again I recovered to play again. I decided that there was a reason and I should use my gift so when asked to play in our church praise team I knew that was the reason and accepted. I still play but not as vigorous as I used to. With being a mechanic for 40+ years my fingers and hands are arthritic and that has limited my range of motion. But I’m so thankful for the grace and mercy given to me and the memories.

Back