CPK EDC2

The handle girth differences are indiscernible. Granted the EDC 1.0 is in G10 and the EDC-2 is in unbuffed micarta, so those two differences could be the offsetting factors as far as my tactile radar is concerned, but that's that! The unbuffed OD green will have to grow on me, but once handled and used, the oil from the hands and the grime ought to make the color pop:

jhYuWFB.jpg

The unbuffed OD green will have to grow on me, but once handled and used, the oil from the hands and the grime ought to make the color pop:

The unbuffed micartas do start off a little dull in the color department, but I sure do like it on a user.

Is that your first unbuffed Mat? How do you like it compared to that G10? (too early to tell?)

Is there anything on the steel for corrosion protection, underneath the scales (I ordered the edc2 with micarta scales)?...If not, is it something that should be addressed. I live right next to the ocean in MA and summers can be very humid.

Is there anything on the steel for corrosion protection, underneath the scales (I ordered the edc2 with micarta scales)?...If not, is it something that should be addressed. I live right next to the ocean in MA and summers can be very humid.

I have pretty good luck with my field knives under the scales, but it's dry here. I think you might want something under there being that close to the coast. JustinFournier JustinFournier will know I'll bet.

ETA: To the first part of the question: No, I don't believe they leave the shop with anything but some oil under there.

Last edited:
The unbuffed micartas do start off a little dull in the color department, but I sure do like it on a user.

Is that your first unbuffed Mat? How do you like it compared to that G10? (too early to tell?)

Dave, I have unbuffed scales in black on my Behemoth Chopper and I also had the same on my HDFK-D3V. I really like the extra grip on the unbuffed micarta which IMO does not compromise the aesthetics as much as Terotuf. A very happy compromise as far as I'm concerned :thumbsup:

I live on the coast a few hundred miles north of you. I use a very light coating of food grade camellia oil to prevent rust. It’s damp all the time here.

extrastout extrastout there's a pretty good knowledge share about coatings and corrosion in this thread:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...-wet-environment.1528480/page-2#post-17556693

It started off addressing 4v, but... good stuff

Thanks again PR....so it seems Nathan did not intend for his scales to be removed on the regular. Which tells me, I really shouldn't worry. Out of sight, out of mind?....or do I take the scales off upon arrival and put something on there? Ive only dealt with epoxied handled satin and coated fixed blades. Should this be a basic every 6 month maintenance

Dave, I have unbuffed scales in black on my Behemoth Chopper and I also had the same on my HDFK-D3V. I really like the extra grip on the unbuffed micarta which IMO does not compromise the aesthetics as much as Terotuf. A very happy compromise as far as I'm concerned :thumbsup:

Those are my thoughts as well on the unbuffed. They wear in nice and if a guy wants to freshen them up beyond a washing, they can be pulled and blasted :thumbsup:

Thanks for refreshing my memory. You've got a nice collection put together bud. I'm going to be interested to see your thoughts on this EDC with the green as it gets some wear on it, I've never tried a set of those yet.

Thanks again PR....so it seems Nathan did not intend for his scales to be removed on the regular. Which tells me, I really shouldn't worry. Out of sight, out of mind?....or do I take the scales off upon arrival and put something on there? Ive only dealt with epoxied handled satin and coated fixed blades. Should this be a basic every 6 month maintenance

Delta 3V corrodes slowly. I can't imagine there would ever be enough under the scales to cause a functional issue. For most folks the only issues would be aesthetic, and that's only an issue when you take the scales off and look at it. I suggest use the knife and don't worry about.

^^^^^^^Amen!

If you are still really anxious about it for some reason, Lorien has noted a penchant for maintenance and several of his threads related to the HDFK and LC have some sidechat about coatings that may help mitigate high abuse usage...sorry, thought there had been more in the link above. He's in BC and seems to always be in the bush building trails in all weather.

^^^^^^^Amen!

If you are still really anxious about it for some reason, Lorien has noted a penchant for maintenance and several of his threads related to the HDFK and LC have some sidechat about coatings that may help mitigate high abuse usage...sorry, thought there had been more in the link above. He's in BC and seems to always be in the bush building trails in all weather.
easy, just trying to learn about these blades. thought thats what its all about. I will stop prying into knife and steel stuff. Got my answer, I am content

ha, i didn't mean it badly. OCD doesn't seem to be a stranger in these parts, and it's the basis of my particular DNA. I'm one of those that is anxious, just thought you might be too.

I am a sweat machine, born in the snow but currently in the deep south. I sweat the second I get out of the shower here, even through winter. anything I keep in my pocket or on my belt needs to be maintained heavily or it seems to corrode. I stain the stainless. I may well have been the basis for Linus, or Ridley Scott's acidic alien blood. So i am a "model" concerned user.

Though I only just got my first Carothers user, I have some Survive! knives that have undergone Nathan's heat treats (*** they were pre-Delta) and I have been able to stain them in my abuse. but like he said, it's never interfered with function, and that has been under the worst situations and sustained abuse in sweat, salt and wet gear. no flakes of rust or anything like that. it doesnt seem to penetrate on optimized 3v, it's only ever been surface stains. the worst has been a knife stowed in my pack with sweaty clothes for a week of relentless rain and heat, so nothing could dry out. I didn't have time to clean my kit when I got back, and it sat for a couple weeks in the basement before I could unpack. I saw the rust line around the edges of the scales where the salt had dried, but you wouldn't know it if you saw that knife today. Per one of the threads I mentioned, I picked up some Boelube spray and even I havent seen a dimple since.

Nathans scales are machined so precisely, I don't perceive much penetration would be possible under most daily use conditions, short of something like the gentleman in the post i linked earlier, that is leaving it in water and blood all day. I've never seen a thread in here from a tradesman with similar results.

Hope you like yours, and please post back with how it performs for you, and share the details on your usage parameters to help inform the next person.

I have pretty good luck with my field knives under the scales, but it's dry here. I think you might want something under there being that close to the coast. JustinFournier JustinFournier or @XtianAus will know I'll bet.

ETA: To the first part of the question: No, I don't believe they leave the shop with anything but some oil under there.

Probably going to sound unexpected but this isn’t an issue I want to get into on a public forum. Suffice to say they are not protected under there.

Got this little guy today and am very excited about it. I think you guys nailed it (again). Have to say, you are narrowing my knife obsession down to just a CPK obsession. Thanks again everyone at CPK!

Also, I was glad to find that it fits in some of my other EDC1 sheaths. Yay!

*EDIT: Sorry I keep posing pictures that are so damn big. I'll have to figure that out....

Probably going to sound unexpected but this isn’t an issue I want to get into on a public forum. Suffice to say they are not protected under there.

Let me tell you about my grandfather's kitchen knife.

My grandfather was born in 1899. Back in his day there wasn't stainless steel. He had a carbon steel knife in his kitchen with crude wooden scales that were riveted on. There was no seal, there was no way to "remove the scales for maintenance". This was a fairly large knife but it was very thin steel, probably not 1/16". It was popular in the household (they had 9 children, it was a large household) because it was always sharp and a good cutter so it got a lot of use.

The oldest daughter had it and was still using it when she sent it to me to be refurbished. The blade was worn down a lot and was kind of a weird shape, but I left it alone. But the wood scales were badly breaking down from many decades of kitchen use. I drilled out the rivets and saw the tang after generations of kitchen knife duty. It was getting pretty badly corroded so when I replaced the scales with Osage orange I bonded it with good epoxy to prevent further corrosion. After probably close to 100 years it was finally getting to the point that it represented an actual problem.

That knife has to be one of the most extreme cases of rust under a tang. It was non stainless. It was very thin so it didn't have a lot of extra meat to spare. It was used in a kitchen daily. It wasn't always taken very good care off. And it worked fine for generations of regular use.

I'm not sure I understand all the concern about a little corrosion under the tang of these EDC knives. It's pretty stout metal with pretty good corrosion resistance. It should last several lifetimes. What am I missing.?

Back