CPK EDC2

^ if you asked me, you're missing a nice glass of sherry to warm up the cockles of your heart, on a cold pre-Christmas night :)

Cheers Nathan / Jo / Mark... I love, Love, LOVE this EDC-2 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've been carrying a FK IWB on my weak side every day for 5 months. It gets exposed to sweat and has done some work on a couple pigs where it was exposed to blood (not a farmer or a hunter but I'm islander.... we have fiestas and go big). I've also used it in the kitchen and haven't been especially mindful about the tang getting wet. I pulled off the scales for the first time a couple weeks ago and found what looked like some surface rust . Most of it wiped off easily, the rest came off with a little flitz. Beyond some very minor darkening of the metal in a few spots, there was nothing left. I'd definitely not call it rust. I got this one used and I don't know what it was exposed to before me but I definitely won't be worrying about any of my D3V knives rusting under the scales. I can only foresee taking them off again for hygienic reasons.

While the weather in SOCAL isn't very humid, I'm sure you can imagine what the environment is like inside the pants of a 6'1, 325lb islander.

Got my EDC2 today also !
Like the extra blade on it , but I have to say I the like thicker palm swell on the EDC1. But the thinner scales look better more poportional to the knife . Although that’s just fondling the two, I need to give it a good workout . The original handle I really like , I used the EDC1 to scrape all the out caulking off the roof of my Rv a few months ago . Handle was comfortable with no hot spots .
Anyway super happy with new version !!
Thanks Nate , Jo and that “other guy “ what’s his name ....
Nate I believe you stated the scales are interchangable ?
5abxzda.jpg

O7HcTBk.jpg

FjIGpuT.jpg

Got my EDC2 today also !
Like the extra blade on it , but I have to say I the like thicker palm swell on the EDC1. But the thinner scales look better more poportional to the knife . Although that’s just fondling the two, I need to give it a good workout . The original handle I really like , I used the EDC1 to scrape all the out caulking off the roof of my Rv a few months ago . Handle was comfortable with no hot spots .
Anyway super happy with new version !!
Thanks Nate , Jo and that “other guy “ what’s his name ....
Nate I believe you stated the scales are interchangable ?
5abxzda.jpg

O7HcTBk.jpg

FjIGpuT.jpg
Nice little tweaks that aren’t too noticeable!

I'm not sure I understand all the concern about a little corrosion under the tang of these EDC knives. It's pretty stout metal with pretty good corrosion resistance. It should last several lifetimes. What am I missing.?

Nothing at all.

I’m picky, sometimes too picky and things like corrosion eat at me.

I think these are all heirloom quality knives, and I don’t think a little corrosion under the handle will ever cause any functional issues in my lifetime. Even if I did way less maintenance than I do now.

So I don’t wanna get into a conversation about it publicly it because I don’t feel my personal distaste for what amounts to really NO FUNCTIONAL PROBLEM AT ALL accurately reflects on the quality of the work CPK does.

I will personally chose to take my handles off once in a while and coat them. I like to tinker and I like things to be perfect. That’s a personal choice and an unnecessary one.

As most of you know I’m pretty anal sometimes. Just how I am. That’s why I like your work Nathan, you get into details of metallurgy way past necessary to make a good knife. I appreciate that more than you know.

That same level of attention to detail is why I spend large amounts of money on certain things. I very much value competence, skill and the time people put into great things.

You should see the sharpening setup I’m working on. Completely ridiculous.

Let me tell you about my grandfather's kitchen knife.

I'm not sure I understand all the concern about a little corrosion under the tang of these EDC knives. It's pretty stout metal with pretty good corrosion resistance. It should last several lifetimes. What am I missing.?

What you're missing is that people tend to worry and fuss about things of little or no consequence. They worry and fuss about what kind of oil they should use on the joint of their new folder. Oil? Are you supposed to do that? Anyway, Survive left a couple of 3V blades out in the weather for year. They got rusty, but most of it cleaned off with little or no damage.

What you're missing is that people tend to worry and fuss about things of little or no consequence. They worry and fuss about what kind of oil they should use on the joint of their new folder. Oil? Are you supposed to do that? Anyway, Survive left a couple of 3V blades out in the weather for year. They got rusty, but most of it cleaned off with little or no damage.

Moisture will just stay underneath handles scales once its there (sort of represents sitting out in the weather). I figure it would be worse with micarta, than g10. Rust does not effect a blades function either, but most knife makers recommend that you maintain and take care of your blade. Like Justin said, I have complete respect for what Nathan does and his product, I also like steels. The point of this hobby for me is to enjoy, use, and properly care for the blade that takes care of you. I learned a lot, and am glad I asked

Happy Friday!!

What am I missing.?

I just lack your experience and intuition, and the perspective that comes with them. so I explore what I don't understand here ...frequently by asking novice questions, or relaying experiences that highlight my lack of expertise. I glean a lot from the responses, even and especially if that answer is "lower the dosage man- this is a non-issue!". I'm sorry if that clogs the threads for more seasoned users. I read old threads as much as I can, but I miss a lot. I appreciate very much that you and other forum members are kind enough to point me in the right direction and enlighten me when possible.

Most of my prior knife experiences have been with cheap, imported recycled steel of unknown composition, shaped in the cheapest ways possible, and prone to corrosion and breakage. So my base expectation and understanding of a knife is pretty jaded and limited. I am really enjoying learning about the technological leaps you have made in metallurgy and geometry.

Ya, that TeroTuf really destroys the aesthetics of a knife:rolleyes: The appearance of TeroTuf is very similar to Un-buffed Black Canvas IMO! It's not the prettiest material as Nathan has stated, but does provide superior Grip! If you want pretty do not buy either TeroTuf or Un-Buffed Micarta!

96I8z1Z.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure why we are talking about if moisture can get underneath the scales. There are a billion knives with pinned scales that can not be removed , who knows what’s under them? Maybe it’s the Men in Black universe?

Back to the edc pics and discussion please.

Ya, that TeroTuf really destroys the aesthetics of a knife:rolleyes: The appearance of TeroTuf is very similar to Un-buffed Black Canvas IMO! It's not the prettiest material as Nathan has stated, but does provide superior Grip! If you want pretty do not buy either TeroTuf or Un-Buffed Micarta!

96I8z1Z.jpg

:p

the additional cutting edge and stouter tip are good upgrades. That the scales are interchangeable allows the user to choose thin or thick scales, which I think is something Nate and I talked about when planning the development of the EDC.

Nate, save an EDC2 from the creek for me, wouldja?

Not sure why we are talking about if moisture can get underneath the scales. There are a billion knives with pinned scales that can not be removed , who knows what’s under them? Maybe it’s the Men in Black universe?

Back to the edc pics and discussion please.

Nathan has epoxied the handle to a few EDCs, and FKs etc but still used screws so they appear pretty much the same as any other unless you look super carefully.

Lots of pinned knives are also epoxied, clamped and then ground so there really is zero chance of moisture getting trapped between the tang and handle.

I think people could learn the procedure and epoxy thier handles in place, put the screws back in and have basically 100% factory looks with no risk of moisture.

But risk vs reward, solving a non-issue with getting epoxy somewhere you didn’t want it.

But sometimes it’s difficult to leave things how they are. I find joy in customizing.

Nathan has epoxied the handle to a few EDCs, and FKs etc but still used screws so they appear pretty much the same as any other unless you look super carefully.

Lots of pinned knives are also epoxied, clamped and then ground so there really is zero chance of moisture getting trapped between the tang and handle.

I think people could learn the procedure and epoxy thier handles in place, put the screws back in and have basically 100% factory looks with no risk of moisture.

But risk vs reward, solving a non-issue with getting epoxy somewhere you didn’t want it.

But sometimes it’s difficult to leave things how they are. I find joy in customizing.

I can't tell you how many times I have thought about doing a custom build with pined/epoxied handles on an EDC, with nice mosaic pins and some pretty burl or fiddle-back/curly wood.... Sooo tempted.

Come on shipping notice!

There has been an edit of 2 more which were shipped out today, 12/22, to the same person. May be there will be more edits for today or may be not, I dunno! I looked up the PO thread and seems that I'm slated for the next #11 & #12 EDC-2 units as of that last edit :thumbsup: If I had to guess, I'd say another 20 or so for preorder fulfillments in addition to the next Friday's EDC-2 sale.

#istilldunnoanything!

Last edited:
Back