CPK "Knife love" ? Actual use pics. Not for Glamour shots

53r2XZU.jpg

Yes, the hunt was this last weekend on White Sands Missle Range. A friend drew a once-in-a-lifetime trophy oryx tag for this hunt on WSMR, and since I'd hunted there 3 times in the past, I offered to guide him. Things worked out very well - we came upon this solitary bull with 35" horns and really nice ridges on the heavy horn bases, and my friend did his part and dropped him with one shot from a .338 Win Mag. The FK2 worked just as well as I expected for field dressing.

I love the EDC. Holy crap, I cut up an entire rug and it was still cutting through packing tape. I stropped it a bit later that night and it’s shaving hair. What is this voodoo?

Attachments

• B5EFE6F0-DACF-4D53-A6B8-D90F1BEB7EC2.jpeg
    B5EFE6F0-DACF-4D53-A6B8-D90F1BEB7EC2.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 68
I love the EDC. Holy crap, I cut up an entire rug and it was still cutting through packing tape. I stropped it a bit later that night and it’s shaving hair. What is this voodoo?
Yep.
My EDC2 is my most used fixed blade.
I was already blown away using regular green compound on a basic strop. Then I splurged on a kit including kangaroo leather on a metal plate backing and 0.5 and 1.0 micron diamond spray...
Holy $&@% that knife can cut! :eek:

my ogfk throwing knives got a bit of much needed attention. Bevel angle is probably a little more appropriate for what I'm using these for now :) These got an upscale 120 grit finish
gkh3c0P.jpg

FzxemOO.jpg

72nyPzG.jpg

So if I understand correctly, by using a harder and tougher steel/HT, you can make a thin edge that cuts well and doesn’t dull or roll?

I want to mod my M4 Benchmade similarly.

Not exactly. He was noting that it stayed sharp a long time but wasn't too difficult to resharpen. While a thin edge helps with this, and a hard steel helps with that, I was referring to a steel and heat treat that achieves edge retention through enhanced edge stability rather than just pure wear resistance.

You see, there is a widely held misunderstanding that knives go dull through abrasive wear. Things like tools and dies and molds and extrusion screws wear out in industry due to abrasive and adhesive wear and high wear resistance steels with a lot of carbide last longer. And automated cut testing against abrasive card stock reinforces this misconception. But, unless you're primarily cutting a lot of cardboard etc. you're also losing edge sharpness through edge roll and micro chipping. This is somewhat particular to knives because of the very narrow edge geometry and uncontrolled cutting conditions. For us, we benefit from steels and heat treat that can support a narrow edge against off kilter cutting forces and clacks against hard objects. Rather than load up the steel with tons of carbide, which can actually reduce edge stability, we're focused on reducing mixed microstructures such as retained stabilized austenite, over tempered martensite, secondary carbide growth from utilizing the secondary hardness hump and are chasing the superior cohesion of a structure formed almost entirely from a good quench rather than decaying RA during tempers etc. The point being that edge retention due to enhanced edge stability doesn't come with an offset in the form of difficulty in sharpening like the wear resistance of a high carbide steel. We have a fair bit of wear resistant vanadium carbide, but we didn't put all our eggs in that carbide basket. We got the edge stability part right first.

This leads to a combination of good edge retention and ease of sharpening that surprises folks. Those two properties are frequently at odds.

Back