CPK Survival Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any reason not to simply put the knife in a vice and file the spine a little sharpening it as desired with a simple bastard file?

I guess that's possible but then you just damaged a finished product. If it's factory and done properly you still get a nice clean, finished product.

I guess that's possible but then you just damaged a finished product. If it's factory and done properly you still get a nice clean, finished product.

I didn't mean re profile the thing, I meant like, instead of having a little grove for a ferro rod, a little section that is 90 or similar. I know people have done jimping and the like and it has looked good.

firesteel-uncoated-knife-spine.png

I just have to say, you'd have to be a bit of a dumbass to be the kind of guy who's so into the bushcraft that he carries a flint and a knife of this kind of quality, and doesn't have a dedicated striker as part of the kit. Just a little piece of hacksaw blade is all you need. Using a big, burly knife as a striker is just asking for trouble, especially in a survival situation where cutting yourself might mean game over.

but, I'll see what I can do...

I just have to say, you'd have to be a bit of a dumbass to be the kind of guy who's so into the bushcraft that he carries a flint and a knife of this kind of quality, and doesn't have a dedicated striker as part of the kit. Just a little piece of hacksaw blade is all you need. Using a big, burly knife as a striker is just asking for trouble, especially in a survival situation where cutting yourself might mean game over.

I would of disagreed a few months ago. Now, I prefer knives without a 90 degree spine since I damaged the spine on one of my other, cheaper knives. I now carry my knife on my right hip/back side and a ferro rod and striker on the left side.

Winter.jpg

Best training session I ever had was in 1'+ deep snow in a heavy wind and blowing drift. Gloves off. You take off layers till basically you need to run to stay above freezing to death. Hands are shaking, loss of fine motor control and not much feeling in your fingers or toes. What comes through is mostly pain. I'm wearing cargo pants, a t-shirt, a thin hoody and a softshell at this point. Gloves are perforated mechanix gloves designed for summer. Still doing Ok, smiling.

First thing I did after that class with regards to my fire kit was buy a thick rod, with a hacksaw blade attached by a lanyard cause your damn near guaranteed to drop it. I also put bic lighters in everything. A zippo in my main bag as well, with a small capsule style of tin of fuel for it. Also, try reloading a mag, or making 25 yard pistol shots. Hahahaha. That's funnier than my comment about taking a file to the spine of D3V apparently! My first hit was the second shot which was an accidental double that hit the head dead center, 100% fluke and missed the next 2. 1/4. Warm and comfy I can make that head shot from holster all day in under 2 seconds one handed.

I don't know anything compared to some hardcore bushcrafter guys. What I know better is what I can't do. And when the situation is bad, it's a whole lot. I bet I couldn't put the FK back in a sheath first try. Last thing I need is a super sharp edge near my hand I am trying to move against aggressively and push hard with my other hand. 0 interest. No 90 degree spine please! Maybe make it an option?

Just wanted my two cents in here. That gives me an entitlement to complain later right?

Like I said guys, I'm just asking. You guys are the designers/creators, it's just a nice feature to have.

I was super happy when survive! moved away from the geeky firesteel notch to the 90 spine
It's not just for firesteel but for other functions like scraping tinder etc

I was super happy when survive! moved away from the geeky firesteel notch to the 90 spine
It's not just for firesteel but for other functions like scraping tinder etc

As was I. It's nice to save your edge when possible. I had actually asked Nate to do a FK with a 90* spine but that was wishful thinking.

it is actually not difficult to file away at this D3V, but like I said, I'll see what can be done to the knife which will make for a safe strike zone

The D3V Field Knife at HRC 62 will skate and ruin a file. Now, a CBN or diamond "file" would be a different story, but those aren't really files, they're abrasives...

You're not going to do much shaping with a handheld file, you'd do better with something like a Dremel with a grinding wheel or sanding drum.

The D3V Field Knife at HRC 62 will skate and ruin a file. Now, a CBN or diamond "file" would be a different story, but those aren't really files, they're abrasives...

You're not going to do much shaping with a handheld file, you'd do better with something like a Dremel with a grinding wheel or sanding drum.

Any chance of having a 90 degree spine as a regular feature on the survival knife Nathan ?
:)

we were talking xmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back