CPM S30V and 154CM

JK Knives

I’m thinking of offering these steels in roughly .105 thickness for the following models
Bluegill
B&T
Deluxe Hurley Creek Lite

If there is interest I will offer other models and thickness.

Let me know your thoughts.

My thoughts are for an EDC knife that will be pocket carried, stainless is the way to go. Offering stainless is not new for me, I’ve offered it before, that’s why I bought the heat treat furnace.

I'm a fan of both of those steels, as well as AEB-L
all 3 give good performance with relatively simple HT's at a reasonable materials cost.

I could probably use a stainless Bluegill. It’s so humid down here in the summer, O1 rusts pretty quick if you aren’t careful.

I think it's a fantastic idea. The stainless ones you've made for me so far have been excellent. In fact, the stainless Rule#9 has kicked the original off my belt and the Hurley Creek is always in my pocket.
I agree on the idea of AEB-L, too. I don't know what the heat treat or cost is like but the steel is incredible.

I'm a fan of both of those steels, as well as AEB-L
all 3 give good performance with relatively simple HT's at a reasonable materials cost.

I think it's a fantastic idea. The stainless ones you've made for me so far have been excellent. In fact, the stainless Rule#9 has kicked the original off my belt and the Hurley Creek is always in my pocket.
I agree on the idea of AEB-L, too. I don't know what the heat treat or cost is like but the steel is incredible.

An AEB-L Bluegill....mmmmmmmmmmm

An AEB-L Bluegill....mmmmmmmmmmm
Looking at the heat treat for AEB-L, it needs to be cryo'd for best results. I'll be happy sticking with CPM S30V and 154CM in this case.
I'm probably not expert enough to tell the difference.

I’m hoping that there is a demand for the stainless. Right now I don’t need to order any, I have enough for the one Bluegill that was ordered, and the ones that were already on order.

This is exciting.

In my experience I prefer 154cm vs. S30V since it’s easier for me to sharpen. Plus it seems to hold an edge longer.

I know it all depends on the heat treating process but I think
154 is a good compromise between carbon steel and stainless

It has a nice sweet spot between the two

This is exciting.

In my experience I prefer 154cm vs. S30V since it’s easier for me to sharpen. Plus it seems to hold an edge longer.

I know it all depends on the heat treating process but I think
154 is a good compromise between carbon steel and stainless

It has a nice sweet spot between the two
I also prefer 154CM, but I figure it’s good to offer customers a choice.

If there is a different model you might be interested in, post it here and I will let you know if the steel I’m ordering will work for it.

I am a fan of S30V, and the heat treat on the only JK in that steel is spot on. I keep thinking something larger, like a Kephart in S30V would be cool, but have talked myself out of it since it just does not take on the wonderful 01 patina.

Back