1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Crazy Eights Milestone GAW.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by r8shell, Jan 21, 2018.

1. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Congrats r8shell, 8 has always been a magical # for me too, means a lot to me and the Mrs. I'm in here in honor of the crazy 8 the aces and eights of the dead man's hand.

[​IMG]

ETA: The actual hand purported to be held by Wild Bill that ill fated day was two eights and two aces, all black with an unknown hole card. Many artist taking artistic licence has shown the hole card as everything including the queen and ace of hearts.

The knife is from South African maker JD Ellis. It's a Lanny's Clip built on a blue g10 frame with red linen micarta liners, natural canvas micarta scales with maroon linen micarta bolsters holding a high hollow ground Sandvik 12C27 blade with a beautifully ground, perfectly symmetrical drawn swedge on a razor sharp clip blade.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  2. Dan of Bazz Clazz

Dan of Bazz Clazz Gold Member Gold Member

May 10, 2017
    Just asking, Was't Wild Bill Hickock's hand a pair of Aces and Eights versus a full house???
    What is the make and model of that knife?

neal70 likes this.
  3. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Congrats.

I'm in.

Bernard says HI![​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  4. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    I am in, thank you! I would post a picture but they aren't accessible right now...

neal70 likes this.
  5. scattershot

scattershot

May 31, 2007
    I’d like to enter, too. Congrats on all the 8’s, and I’ll post a pic later.

OK, it’s later. This is a pic of an interesting old Remington. It was my grandfather’s knife, circa 1939 or so.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  6. knowtracks

knowtracks Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Congrats on your milestone r8shell :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    As you can see I am always behind the 8 ball when on my scooter! o_O
    chopper30014.jpg
    But please this is not an entry, just a congratulations!!
    Knife content!
    1st Spear Ant. Amber Saw, pile.JPG

Dave

Jolipapa, afishhunter, neal70 and 2 others like this.
  7. Captvideo

Captvideo Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Crazy 88888s. I'm in. Thanks for the GAW and many informative posts.

neal70 likes this.
  8. 66sprint6

66sprint6

Jan 21, 2016
    Congrats and thanks for being one of many many members that make this place amazing!!! I saw you post up earlier in this thread saying that this place keeps you from boring those around you who could probably care less about the obsession that traditional knives bring to us...so very true. This place allows me to share, chat, learn and grow the passion and I love it!!!! Keep up all that you do and I look forward to seeing these fine knives move on to another wonderful member, whether it be me or someone else!!!

Matt

neal70 likes this.
  9. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Congrats on the milestone r8shell.
    :thumbsup::)

10. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Thanks, I'm in.

neal70 likes this.
  11. WhittlinAway

WhittlinAway Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Congratulations on your milestones r8shell!

When I think of the folks that make the porch the fantastic place it is, you always come to mind. I appreciate the mix of information, good natured humor, and positive attitude you consistently bring to your posts. Thanks for helping to make this place special.

Not an entry, please.

neal70 likes this.
  12. strokednbored

strokednbored

Aug 8, 2015
    Wow, 8888 times that normal friends and family weren't bothered by knife talk!
    That's what my GF said when she read this sitting next to me on the couch last night.

I'd like to particip8.
    If I win it would be gr8.
    I'd have to chalk it up to f8.
    And use them to cut things on my pl8.
    Watch more patina form, as the blades matur8.
    I hope my entry isn't too L8.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  13. clutchcarter

clutchcarter Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Congratulations on the 8's!

There are three prominent addresses in my life that all have the digits 1, 2 and 5 (1250, 2105 and 2510). In case you didn't notice that adds up to 8!
    The odd thing about this is that when someone asks what my address is, it takes a second to put the digits in the correct order. I hope that's not an indication of a low I.Q.

Cutfinger likes this.
  14. traumkommode

traumkommode Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Congrats, Rachel! I used to work for a company that had a second headquarters in China, and adopted some interesting Chinese culture into the business philosophy. With 8 being a lucky number over there, the company structured the sales strategy to start with a pool of 888 prospects, from which it would select 88 relevant possibilities, further distilling those down to 8 high-interest targets for the year.

Here's a picture of Ole' Reliable. As unexciting as she may be, she sure is useful, and gets me inarguably excited every time I carry her:

[​IMG]

I'd like to use my entry to nominate @r redden

afishhunter likes this.
  15. Kevin-B

Kevin-B

Jun 30, 2017
    I'm in, and congratulations on your milestone! :):thumbsup:

16. skivic

skivic Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Im in! Wow 8000 plus posts i def need to catch up hahah

17. peanutsxx

peanutsxx Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2017
    In my limited estimation that one would meet the "quality not quantity" criteria! :thumbsup:

Dan of Bazz Clazz likes this.
  18. Faiaoga

Faiaoga

Jul 3, 2012

19. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Great achievement!
    Bear_88.jpg

neal70, abbydaddy and afishhunter like this.
  20. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Thanks r8888shel888 lol

Always thought about trying a Texas jack. So I’ll say “I’m in” and maybe try a pre-patinad one!

neal70 likes this.