Crazy Eights Milestone GAW.

Congrats r8shell, 8 has always been a magical # for me too, means a lot to me and the Mrs. I'm in here in honor of the crazy 8 the aces and eights of the dead man's hand.

RyJZcHZ.jpg

ETA: The actual hand purported to be held by Wild Bill that ill fated day was two eights and two aces, all black with an unknown hole card. Many artist taking artistic licence has shown the hole card as everything including the queen and ace of hearts.

The knife is from South African maker JD Ellis. It's a Lanny's Clip built on a blue g10 frame with red linen micarta liners, natural canvas micarta scales with maroon linen micarta bolsters holding a high hollow ground Sandvik 12C27 blade with a beautifully ground, perfectly symmetrical drawn swedge on a razor sharp clip blade.

Last edited:
Congrats r8shell, 8 has always been a magical # for me too, means a lot to me and the Mrs. I'm in here in honor of the crazy 8 the aces and eights of the dead man's hand.

RyJZcHZ.jpg
Just asking, Was't Wild Bill Hickock's hand a pair of Aces and Eights versus a full house???
What is the make and model of that knife?

Congrats and thanks for being one of many many members that make this place amazing!!! I saw you post up earlier in this thread saying that this place keeps you from boring those around you who could probably care less about the obsession that traditional knives bring to us...so very true. This place allows me to share, chat, learn and grow the passion and I love it!!!! Keep up all that you do and I look forward to seeing these fine knives move on to another wonderful member, whether it be me or someone else!!!

Matt

Congratulations on your milestones r8shell!

When I think of the folks that make the porch the fantastic place it is, you always come to mind. I appreciate the mix of information, good natured humor, and positive attitude you consistently bring to your posts. Thanks for helping to make this place special.

Not an entry, please.

Wow, 8888 times that normal friends and family weren't bothered by knife talk!
That's what my GF said when she read this sitting next to me on the couch last night.

I'd like to particip8.
If I win it would be gr8.
I'd have to chalk it up to f8.
And use them to cut things on my pl8.
Watch more patina form, as the blades matur8.
I hope my entry isn't too L8.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the 8's!

There are three prominent addresses in my life that all have the digits 1, 2 and 5 (1250, 2105 and 2510). In case you didn't notice that adds up to 8!
The odd thing about this is that when someone asks what my address is, it takes a second to put the digits in the correct order. I hope that's not an indication of a low I.Q.

Congrats, Rachel! I used to work for a company that had a second headquarters in China, and adopted some interesting Chinese culture into the business philosophy. With 8 being a lucky number over there, the company structured the sales strategy to start with a pool of 888 prospects, from which it would select 88 relevant possibilities, further distilling those down to 8 high-interest targets for the year.

Here's a picture of Ole' Reliable. As unexciting as she may be, she sure is useful, and gets me inarguably excited every time I carry her:

31878300510_e4a3dfd78e_c.jpg

I'd like to use my entry to nominate @r redden

It is 2018, and I have been a member here for eight years. I've passed eight thousand posts. The number '8' is in my name. I think it's time for a giveaway.

I thought about having a minimum post count, of 1/100th of mine (88.88 posts) but decided to go ahead and open this up to anyone.

Just say "I'm in" Don't say "not in", although pictures, amusing stories, etc are always welcome. I will pick a winner when my post count reaches 8888. I don't know how long that will take, so enter soon, in case I start to feel chatty.

The prize: A Yellow Mini Copperlock, and a Small Texas Jack that's had a tea-soak dye job to give it a darker, old-bone look.

View attachment 833094

I'll send to anywhere USPS will flat-rate to. (I think that's pretty much anywhere.)
Entrants must must be 18yrs of age, and are responsible for complying with legal restrictions in their jurisdiction.
I am in. Thanks

Thanks r8888shel888 lol

Always thought about trying a Texas jack. So I’ll say “I’m in” and maybe try a pre-patinad one!

Back