Cts-xhp

It is a better preformer then elmax! !!!in the uses I use it for ,no formal testing done here. For those my statements may offend!!!!!!

Spydusse, no arguments from me. It's a nice steel. Not much different from CPM D2, which I also liked but in what way does it perform better than Elmax for you?

I get a better edge, easier sharpening ( with diamonds) and better wear with Elmax. Elmax to me is like a S30V that likes to get sharp, and stay sharp. It has those vanadium carbides that cut all day, but it seems to keep high sharpness better than S30V IMO. That was always S30V's weakness. The reasons have been argued for years here and elsewhere.

CTS-XHP ( a powder version of the old 440XH ie: stainless D2) just has chrome and iron carbides and when the going gets tough, I'd think the XHP wouldn't last like a vanadium steel in certain mediums. In things like skinning blades the D2 blades have always excelled.

Still, I don't have years of experience with either steel like I do S30V, Ingot D2, S90V, etc.

Thanks. Joe

Spydusse, no arguments from me. It's a nice steel. Not much different from CPM D2, which I also liked but in what way does it perform better than Elmax for you?

I get a better edge, easier sharpening ( with diamonds) and better wear with Elmax. Elmax to me is like a S30V that likes to get sharp, and stay sharp. It has those vanadium carbides that cut all day, but it seems to keep high sharpness better than S30V IMO. That was always S30V's weakness. The reasons have been argued for years here and elsewhere.

CTS-XHP ( a powder version of the old 440XH ie: stainless D2) just has chrome and iron carbides and when the going gets tough, I'd think the XHP wouldn't last like a vanadium steel in certain mediums. In things like skinning blades the D2 blades have always excelled.

Still, I don't have years of experience with either steel like I do S30V, Ingot D2, S90V, etc.

Thanks. Joe

Joe,

You brought up a very good point there about the Vanadium steels.

The higher percentage steels like S110V, 10V, and S90V are crazy and will just cut and continue to cut for it seems forever, and that's even when they might feel dull to some, they will still cut like crazy.

The next level steels like M390, ELMAX and S60V have a lower Vanadium percentage, but are still loaded with Hard carbides and enough to keep them cutting for extended periods of time.

I believe that the High Percentage Vanadium steels will just plain cut longer when pushed and continue to cut well beyond what the Chromium Carbide steels will do.

I am not talking about push cutting here, I am talking about pure edge retention and the ability to continue to cut (slicing cuts).

However most will never see this unless the steels are pushed well beyond how most would ever use them.

I did some testing here lately cutting rope, and I mean an insane amount of rope with a few steels (Customs in M390, 10V) and the results were unbelievable how long these steels continued to cut. I am talking well over 300% more than I normally cut with the production blades and they would still slice like crazy. That's also the reason why I have been taking a break from cutting here lately because the last one (M390) just plain wore me out it cut for such a long time.

Last edited:
Better preformer in cutting burlap and twine (1ply,to 4ply but mostly 2ply) and cutting plastic pots of root bound plants (so its going threw plastic smaller feeder roots that have incompased dirt and dirt) we do are repotting now even though it be better to do last fall :rolleyes: and throw in hoop houses for winter. I have no problems getting either !screaming! Sharp on edge pro . My judgment of when its time to sharpen is when I (with 2ply) go to cut some twine off roll and put knife up to it and it takes some force before finally popping threw hard forcing my arm to swing out a bit. At that point it becomes a problem maybe coming down onto trailer ,bed of truck ,even a tire on a trailer that /ight be next to a tie down point.I know what ur thinking cut away from objects but sometimes ur in tight quarters or have some guy next to u tying a metal cage of a fresh dug tree to a trunk of said tree. I'm starting to think this why my personal use might be diffrent then some test because I take it to a certain point where with some force it will still cut and others take it to where it won't cut at all . S30v is okay but to me it is not close to these steels mentioned. My two best preformers for said above mentioned would be cts xhp and zdp .they seemed to last the longest before I have to sharpen . That said I have used all the steels on Mr. Ankersons test besides one wich I'm dying to get my hands on wich is s90v. I told myself I was only allowed to get one para 2 and because of xhp preformance I picked the cts20cp and am still waiting on it.

I told myself I was only allowed to get one para 2 and because of xhp preformance I picked the cts20cp and am still waiting on it.

I have a feeling that once you get that blade you will get tired of cutting with it before you would need to sharpen it.....

I sure hope so because from now till August I put in 60 to 70 hr weeks . So I lack the time to sharpen or will to anyway. Usally I cycle threw blades in this period of work year . That way I don't need to sharpen.

I sure hope so because from now till August I put in 60 to 70 hr weeks . So I lack the time to sharpen or will to anyway. Usally I cycle threw blades in this period of work year . That way I don't need to sharpen.

If it's anything like S90V you will be very happy.

I just purchased a Spyderco Manix 2 in CTS-XHP from a forum member. I will test this out in real world environment situations and give my report asap.
Alpha

Instead of treating them like superior beings, how about treating them as people with more experience than you?

How many knives have you made or designed sir? None? Great, so stop talking.

Several Actually.

Those are my favorites:

knife-83-015.jpg

CPMS90V-Pair-15.jpg

knife77-16.jpg

knife57bs.jpg

Stake set:

http://playground.sun.com/~vasya/knife60.html

knife48S2.jpg

Thanks, Vassili.

Judging from the knives in the link and the exact identical appearance of the various blades(aside from the handles), I don't believe putting a blank blade in a handle qualifies as "making your own knife". It doesn't look like you were in any way involved in the process of heat treating, tempering, grinding, or finishing the blade.

I told myself I was only allowed to get one para 2 and because of xhp preformance I picked the cts20cp and am still waiting on it.
Anyone knows when that's coming out? Because at this rate I'm afraid they'll be shipping the knife to my next of kin;).

I was getting really anxious waiting for it . Then one morning I went to knifeworks and bam they had a few extra 0551 for sale that weren't taking already on their preorder . So I called up ordered one and had it two days later. Its really helped taking my mind off the para2. I guess the moral to this story is u win some and lose some .

What the hell are you talking about? What D2 did I misrepresent "referring to obviously failure in HT" ? You make no sense whatsoever.

Did not we discussed that earlier? You talk a lot about CPM S30V being better that D2 cutting Carpet. Turns out that you were using Benchmade. If you check my tests - D2 from this manufacurer I have show worse results among all tested. So you were talking about wors possible D2 not the one heat treated by Dozier, I refers.

As you may see it is important to know what steel are you talking about. May be your sample of CPM S60V is not representative, as it was in case when you talk about superiority of CPM S30V carbides over D2 steel.

Thanks, Vassili.

Judging from the knives in the link and the exact identical appearance of the various blades(aside from the handles), I don't believe putting a blank blade in a handle qualifies as "making your own knife". It doesn't look like you were in any way involved in the process of heat treating, tempering, grinding, or finishing the blade.

Anyone knows when that's coming out? Because at this rate I'm afraid they'll be shipping the knife to my next of kin;).

And what is is behind your words?

Thanks, Vassili.

Thanks. Joe

It sounds very pretty, however tests as well as practical use does not support that. CPM S30V pretyy average performer and Elmax is exactly same.

If you try to compare it not to BM D2 but one which is heat treated as it suppose to, you may notice that CPM S30V way behind.

Thanks, Vassili.

Judging from the knives in the link and the exact identical appearance of the various blades(aside from the handles), I don't believe putting a blank blade in a handle qualifies as "making your own knife".
That's exactly what he did, described in plain Russian on his site. A lot of folks do the same, but as usual they call it re-handling, or handle making, but nobody except him claimed knifemaking based on that.

Did not we discussed that earlier? You talk a lot about CPM S30V being better that D2 cutting Carpet. Turns out that you were using Benchmade. If you check my tests - D2 from this manufacurer I have show worse results among all tested. So you were talking about wors possible D2 not the one heat treated by Dozier, I refers.

As you may see it is important to know what steel are you talking about. May be your sample of CPM S60V is not representative, as it was in case when you talk about superiority of CPM S30V carbides over D2 steel.

Best I recall you have never seen this knife nor do you have any idea about how it is heat treated. Your ideas of performance only prove anything to you. No one else. To think you can judge a knife you've never seen by your tests is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. To call mine a "failed heat treat" without ever even seeing it is extreme stupidity.
It sounds very pretty, however tests as well as practical use does not support that. CPM S30V pretyy average performer and Elmax is exactly same.

If you try to compare it not to BM D2 but one which is heat treated as it suppose to, you may notice that CPM S30V way behind.

Thanks, Vassili.

Knives moron. KNIVES. You test knives which gives you no insight into steels, much less other peoples knives. You have no idea what you are talking about again. You have had this explained to you so many times yet it never has sunk in.

You know without examining my knives how it performs? You know the hardness, the bevel angles, any possible modifications from stock, finish type etc? Wow! You need to work for the CIA, or FSP or someone who can use your remote viewing abilities.

But first learn something about knives if you are going to post here. You're stinking up the place.

Joe

Last edited:
Spydusse, Thanks for the reply. I've got a couple of CTS XHP knives too and though I like them the whole D2 family of steels isn't my favorite. I can understand why you use it for the jobs you do. It should excel at them. It does sharpen easy enough too.

All in all it's a good working knife.

As you may see it is important to know what steel are you talking about. May be your sample of CPM S60V is not representative
For some reason you think any of your samples of one or two are any better? How many XHP knives have you tested to make it more representative? Anecdotal reporting is fine, but it is also equivalent to other anecdotal reporting - not superior.

What is the compositional difference between D2 from BM and D2 from Dozier? Which one is Airdi, Aristocrat, Sverker, SKD-11, Thyrodur, Olympic, din 1.2379, Ohio Die, High Chrome, CNA, AL3, 610, or Microfine? What is the austenizing temperatures, the atmosphere, the quench medium, the tempering temps, the retained austenite, the final hardness? Do you know what steel you are talking about?

Best I recall you have never seen this knife nor do you have any idea about how it is heat treated. Your ideas of performance only prove anything to you. No one else. To think you can judge a knife you've never seen by your tests is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. To call mine a "failed heat treat" without ever even seeing it is extreme stupidity.

Knives moron. KNIVES. You test knives which gives you no insight into steels, much less other peoples knives. You have no idea what you are talking about again. You have had this explained to you so many times yet it never has sunk in.

You know without examining my knives how it performs? You know the hardness, the bevel angles, any possible modifications from stock, finish type etc? Wow! You need to work for the CIA, or FSP or someone who can use your remote viewing abilities.

But first learn something about knives if you are going to post here. You're stinking up the place.

Joe

Sorry, I am not discussing anything with you on that tone. BM D2 you were talking about on my tests show worse results, so it is not good representation on D2 to compare to CPM S30V - it was mistake I pointed out earlier. So when you start talking about how CPM S30V compare to CPM S60V - I like to know what again are you talking about, to understand root of such unusual opinion for one who ever deal with CPM S60V.

This answer of your is also counted. To me picture is clear.

Thanks, Vassili.

Back